Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Do optical drives make use of 3.3 V line from SATA connectors (Read 4213 times) previous topic - next topic

Do optical drives make use of 3.3 V line from SATA connectors

I currently passed the stage where I need to operate with 2 drives, for ripping CDs.
So I'm experiencing that with some scratched CDs, I am able to recover with one drive but not the other and vice-versa, which boils down that I have to maintain the two drives. Unfortunately, my PSU has only 4 native SATA connectors and they are all being used: 2 SSDs, 1 HDD and 1 ODD. There are molex connectors unused though. I have read that is dangerous to make use of these PATA->SATA connections, but I think it will be OK if ODD does not use the orange wire. Do any drives actually use it for a fact?
Thank you experts!

Re: Do optical drives make use of 3.3 V line from SATA connectors

Reply #1
If I understand correctly, you don't have enough power connectors. You have two choices, either buy SATA power splitter, or MOLEX to SATA converter. They will work. And it's not dangerous to use those, that's nonsense.
Optical drives don't use much power, so you will have no problems with that.
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #2
As far as I know there are no sata devices that fail with a molex to sata connector. The 3.3v is maybe used with some drives, but they can always fall back to 12V + 5V operation.

Maybe very small form factor ssd's can use the 3.3V, but optical drives don't.

Reply #3
Buy a cable splitter.

Reply #4
I thought the 3.3V line was mandatory to support hot removal?

Reply #5
If I understand correctly, you don't have enough power connectors.

Well, I do have enough power connectors, but I do not have enough SATA connectors.

But I have dozens of molex lines unused.
I have read this article and I was scared at first. But they're condemning essentially low quality connectors because their lower gauge, that could become trouble. Article is in portuguese but basically it condemns the use of these adaptors. There are some pictures in there but I myself never seen this.

The article also confirms that ODDs, HDDs and even SDDs do not, now, make use of 3.3V line. He ends up recommending not using these adaptors and buying a new PSU. But my PSU is quite good from the old days. I think I won't have problems until I get a Seasonic that I want, with 6 SATA connectors.

Anyway, I don't think this is a big deal, but this is pretty answered. Thank you.

I thought the 3.3V line was mandatory to support hot removal?

This is also what I want to know...

Reply #6
PS. On small form factor (2.5") drives you can also run without the 12V line. This is for both SSD's as HDD's. Only SFF high performance drives (10K+ drives like WD Raptors) still need the 12V line.

Reply #7
Well, I do have enough power connectors, but I do not have enough SATA connectors.

As long as you don't overload the PSU, then it shouldn't be a problem using splitters?
(And if you want to use a Molex to SATA-power adapter, then it should suffice that one of your devices can handle it? Maybe look up those devices and see if they use 3.3?)

Reply #8
I currently passed the stage where I need to operate with 2 drives, for ripping CDs.
So I'm experiencing that with some scratched CDs, I am able to recover with one drive but not the other and vice-versa, which boils down that I have to maintain the two drives. Unfortunately, my PSU has only 4 native SATA connectors and they are all being used: 2 SSDs, 1 HDD and 1 ODD. There are molex connectors unused though. I have read that is dangerous to make use of these PATA->SATA connections, but I think it will be OK if ODD does not use the orange wire. Do any drives actually use it for a fact?
Thank you experts!

I use power splitters and Molex to SATA power converter cables all the time with all kinds of CD/DVD drives, rust spinners, and SSDs with excellent results. 

Every time I measure or analyze a machine I find that the drive power subsections of PC power supplies seem to be congenitally overbuilt for modern drives so adding more drives then there are built-in cables via splitters is IME perfectly safe.

I've built over 2,000 PCs and repaired zillions more and never saw anything like the pictures in the article.