Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Rating - how to create two ratings question (Read 1277 times) previous topic - next topic

Rating - how to create two ratings question

Currently under Foobar 1.42 I have the Rating script working which is a Sub Menu under Playback Statistics using the Star method. (I use this basic script:  $if(%rating%,$repeat(★,%rating%)$repeat(☆,$sub(5,%rating%)),o)

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to have two different ratings for tracks.  I find this useful as not all SACD's are the same and also the Likeability of the track.  Another words let's say the 24-192 sound of a song isn't that great and I'd like to rate this a 3 (or 3 stars) but the song itself is a personal favorite and I'd like to rate this 5 stars.  This would allow potential to Sort either the Rating system of the Sound Quality or the likeability of a track (such as 5 star faves) especially if friends or family are over and you wish to provide the ultimate demo.  Of course you can create custom playlists that fit that filter but I was seeking a two column approach (if possible).

Lastly, might anyone know of a way to not have this Playlist feature buried as a Sub Menu within Playback Statistics? (perhaps there's a component?) Alternatively if there's a way to create shortcut key strokes to tap the 5 key for a 5 star rating vs. getting into the nested menu for rating.  Thanks in advance

Re: Rating - how to create two ratings question

Reply #1
On your question of using key strokes for rating you can use foo_masstag. In masstagger you can set up a script to rate your songs then bind that script to a keyboard shortcut within foobar. I always use Ctrl numpad to rate a song. If you want to use two separate rating systems you can use foo_masstag as well. For example use ctrl numpad for primary rating and alt numpad for a secondary rating.

Reply #2
Hey there,

With Playback Statistics, you can already use keyboard shortcuts or toolbar buttons to apply a rating as 1-5 or +1/-1. The menu is already built-in to the component, and you can make shortcuts or buttons out of any menu command.

To make a second rating though you would want Masstagger anyway as jazzthieve said, and use it to make a custom tag in your files - say %quality% or the like. You can use 'Set Value' to set a 1-5, or 'Format Value From Other Fields' for a +1/-1, for example -

Code: [Select]
Field name: QUALITY
Formatting pattern: $if(%quality%,$min(5,$add(%quality%,1)),3)
Script name: Quality +1

Field name: QUALITY
Formatting pattern: $if(%quality%,$max(1,$sub(%quality%,1)),2)
Script name: Quality -1

In Masstagger type a name for each script and save. Then in Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts find the script under [context / playlist] > Tagging > Scripts. Or right-click toolbar buttons > Customize the same.

Then make another column for your playlist for %quality% like the one you have.

Cheers ;)

Reply #3
Thanks for the replies.

Yes I had believed this was true, that there were shortcut / keystrokes already built in as pointed out.  Sounding foolish though + still new to Foobar, where might one find how to "use keyboard shortcuts or toolbar buttons to apply a rating as 1-5 or +1/-1".   Where might the menu be (or is it a Context Menu) that's already built-in to the component?
where one can make shortcuts or buttons out of any menu command.  A link would suffice (or a quick example) as I've not been successful thus far.

I like the Masstag idea. Will surely give that a whirl.  Thanks again for the assistance

Reply #4
^ I hinted at it above but to be specific -

File menu > Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts > Add New button > scroll to [context / playlist] > Playback Statistics > Rating > 5

(Same menu structure as when you right-click on a playlist track)

Place cursor in the key box and press the key combination you want, say - Ctrl-5 - click Apply.

(So when you press Ctrl-5 the currently selected track(s) get Rating set to 5 stars)

Repeat all the above for every key you want.

Cheers :)

Reply #5
Many thanks for your assistance on the Keyboard shortcuts anamorphic, that worked well. Cheers

Reply #6
Re:  Masstagger Question -
1)component installed
2)Assigned Shortcuts (here's 1 of 5 examples) for a 1 Star setting (as below)
Key=1, Modifiers=Alt, Global=no, Type=Context, Action=Tagging/ Quick Tagger /Set<Quality> to / value1

Under Playlist View I have added the Custom Column: Quality
with this pattern: $if(%quality%,$repeat(★,%quality%)$repeat(☆,$sub(5,%quality%)),o)

Here's the issue, is if a track (song) has not been touched, the default of 'o' appears correctly.  When I choose say Alt+1, I get a warning that asks: "you are about to update 1 track..blah blah blah" (I wish to suppress this warning)"
Secondly, the quality defaults to 5 empty stars vs. 1 solid stars so it looks like this:  ☆☆☆☆☆ instead of ★

Third (and last) Is there a way to color code these star characters other than B or W?
Thanks again for the assistance

Reply #7
Updated:
I have resolved 2 of the 3 issues above.  Suppressing the Warning prompt was found under Quick Tagging/Tagger - changed value to X tracks (say 10 instead of 1).
Also, This pattern worked fine:  $if(%quality%,$repeat(★,%quality%)$repeat(☆,$sub(5,%quality%)),o)
the issue was under Quick Tagging/Tagger - the values were listed incorrectly as: value1; value2; etc - simply changing the values to:  1; 2; 3; 4; 5 respectively solved the coding issue.  Currently the stars appear and work correctly.
Still working on the colorizing the characters but should be easy to figure out..thanks