Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Files located on NAS will not populate Album List (Read 1161 times) previous topic - next topic

Files located on NAS will not populate Album List

First... my installation has worked flawlessly for years. I don't know what has happened, maybe a Windows update, but both of my computers are not reading the music folder on my NAS. All the files show correctly in File Explorer, and I can even drag a subfolder over to a playlist in Foobar. When I try to add my music library path to my configuration, it will show "Initializing" forever. The console shows nothing of concern, but it indicates it's monitoring the library path. So... it is monitoring the library  path in the Console, and initializing in the Music Folders dialog.

I can't understand why the files are visible, and draggable/playable, but not available to add to my Foobar Album List/All Music. I have tried to check permissions, but have complete read/write ability, and no hidden folders.

More information: My server is a Buffalo Linkstation, with the music on an attached USB drive (WD MyBook). I dismounted the MyBook and attached it to one of my PCs on the network. I WAS able to add that path to my Foobar Library config, and it worked as expected. That leads me to suspect settings in the Linkstation. I have tried turning UPnP and DNLA off together and separately, with no changes. I currently have them both On. I have SMB1 active on my Win10 computers.

I sure hope someone can steer me to what I'm overlooking. It's been driving me nuts for weeks!

Thanks for listening.

Re: Files located on NAS will not populate Album List

Reply #1
Not sure about this, but you have done the ol' "Map a network drive" to a drive letter in Explorer? So the path you are adding starts with a drive letter, i.e. N:\Music ? Have you tried deleting and recreating the mapped drive?

You are not running foobar as administrator? (Maybe elevated privileges issue)

What is the exact build/version of your Windows 10? Perhaps the issue can be reproduced by someone, or that can be ruled out...

Reply #2
Win 10 Pro - Version 10.0.19043 Build 19043

The answer to your questions is yes to all. One more thing for consideration: I have Foobar2000 Mobile app on my cell phone. It plays the files perfectly via my Wi-Fi. This makes me think it may be a Windows issue.

Reply #3
anamorphic, I think I have discovered something relevant re: my Album List not showing up.

I have discovered that my library folder, which is mapped to the NAS folder containing all my music files, does not load the album subfolders. This is what I am expecting to see, from past use.

However, if I map the music folder path all the way to an individual album subfolder, that album shows up in the Album List and plays perfectly.

Have I messed up a setting within the preferences? Why doesn't the music folder contents display in the Album List? Have you ever seen this type of behavior?

Thanks for any suggestions...

Reply #4
I can only think of a few more tests...

Try a new portable install of foobar to a new folder. (Select "Portable" when installing and put it in a non-Windows folder like "C:\FB1611"). Add your music folder to that one and see if that works.

Since can have several portable installs alongside each other at once, you could also try a portable install of older versions. (Can you remember what the last working version was?)

Next, try creating a new root music folder on the NAS at the same folder level as the original (like "N:\Music2"). Add that to monitored folders. Then copy an artist / album folder over to it and see if foobar picks it up.

Cheers