Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WMA + DRM = fb2k error (Read 3602 times) previous topic - next topic

WMA + DRM = fb2k error

http://www.evdpe.com/slimjim/?swpstk=sj_vipclub&cmp_code=sj

Complete the above form and get 2 free Sony downloads!

fb2k 8.2 plays the previews just fine.

But receive the following error when trying to play the downloaded titles:
INFO (CORE) : startup time: 4351 ms
WARNING (foo_wma) : DRM protected file is unsupported - You need a license to perform the requested operation on this media file.
WARNING (foo_wma) : DRM protected file is unsupported - You need a license to perform the requested operation on this media file.

Windows Media Player says it needs to replace the DRM Security file with a customized version, just click <OK>.  I didn't try this as I don't want to play this file w/in WMP.
edit:i just let WMP update the DRM file & WMP plays each title fine.

How can I play these titles w/in foobar?
TIA
EAC095pb5, LAME3.98, freedb, flac 1.2.1, fb2k 0.9.5

WMA + DRM = fb2k error

Reply #1
I don't know much about WMA, especially how the DRM works.  But my suggestion is, if you can, convet them to some other format if they are WMA lossless files.  Don't know if you can or how to decode WMA files with DRM.  But if they are lossless try and make them Flac's.  If they are normal WMA files hopefully someone else has a suggestion.  Good luck though.  I hear there are some tools to remove drm from WMA files, not sure of the legality of using them.  Not sure if they even work since I don't mess with WMA.

WMA + DRM = fb2k error

Reply #2
Just to check, can you play them in foobar after you did the DRM update for WMP?

WMA + DRM = fb2k error

Reply #3
Just to check, can you play them in foobar after you did the DRM update for WMP?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=225293"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

They still do not play in foobar after updating the DRM file(s).  Even after a reboot (for other reasons).

The files are compressed audio codec: Windows Media Audio 9; 128 kbps, 44 kHz, stereo 1-pass CBR and ~4MBytes/ea.  Doesn't appear that foobar can transcode files which it cannot read.

Does this mean the "catch" is that WMA can only be played within WMP (7.x & higher as stated on the download screen)?  I'd be dissappointed if I had to convert all my AAC files to MP3 or WMA just to have one music player, & limited to WMP. Perhaps this is simply a Sony/Microsoft conspiracy, wouldn't be the 1st time Sony tried to go propriety e.g. Betamax.
EAC095pb5, LAME3.98, freedb, flac 1.2.1, fb2k 0.9.5

WMA + DRM = fb2k error

Reply #4
Perhaps this is simply a Sony/Microsoft conspiracy, wouldn't be the 1st time Sony tried to go propriety e.g. Betamax.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=225308"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

SACD is a good example too.  My best suggestion is to try and "temporarily"  remove the DRM and see if that works.  Depends on what version of DRM it is one whether or not it can be done.  Otherwise I suggest sending an angry letter to M$.

WMA + DRM = fb2k error

Reply #5
Sorry Wrong post