Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Converting WMA Lossless to FLAC? (Read 3267 times) previous topic - next topic

Converting WMA Lossless to FLAC?

I'm sory if i am a little off topic, but it's not worthing to start another thread for a short question.
I have an album encoded by a friend in wma looseless. I want to trancode this album to flac. Should i decode first in wav then encode in flac, or use...let's say Easy Cd+Da Extractor to transcode directly form Wma to FLAC?
thanx

Reply #1
Decoding to a PCM file before encoding is useless if you can find a transcoding tool. Especially when these tools are reporting tags from source file to the output one.
foobar2000 0.83+WMA plug-in works as well as foobar2000 0.9.1 + WMA plug-in. The old version had a better WMA plug-in (full full tags reading abilities).
dBpowerAmp is as working fine.
Other tools are surely available but I don't known any other.

Reply #2
Thank you, Guru.
I just wanted to be sure.
Easy Cd-Da Extractor can do that. I don't know why people don't like this program. Maybe because it's not  free

Reply #3
Anyway, you can easily perform a bit-to-bit comparison with foobar2000. Select both files in the playlist, rightclick/utils/bit comparison. Files are decoded and PCM datas compared. If any difference is reported, then your flac has different stream than the WMA one.