Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: bug? F2K loses its playlist (Read 2188 times) previous topic - next topic

bug? F2K loses its playlist

f2K.1.4.8 on win10-64/pro:  with a play of over 500 mp3s, set to play "random".   Every now and the F2K just "forgets" its' playlist!  that is, it is playing along and at the end of some song or another it just stops and when I look I see that at the end of that last song F2K dumped its playlist.  It happens irregularly -- it happened after about 4hrs yesterday, but since then it has been running for about 24 hrs.   WHen/if it happens again is there any way to get any information as to _why_ it did that?

/Bernie\

Re: bug? F2K loses its playlist

Reply #1
If it's an action of some component it might report about it on the console (View -> Console).
foobar2000 itself would only alter playlist's contents if it was an autoplaylist. Something like listing tracks last played X days ago.
I suspect you use foo_playlist_attributes and have configured it to remove tracks after they have been played.

Reply #2
I didn't know about view->console.   when/if it happens again I'll save the console and perhaps it'll reveal what happened.  I don't know what foo_playlist_attributes is, but I checked all the preferences settings for playlist and nothing like that is checked.  [and, indeed, I have had f2k play a track a second and third time in the cycle, so nothing is being removed incrementally.

Thanks for the info about console.  I bet it'll reveal what's going on.

Reply #3
OK, I got it to happen and there was no info in the console logfile [but I attached it anyway].   there are 36 files in the playlist,  It had been playing them OK and after the rodrigo selection F2K just stopped and had an empty playlist.  Is there anything else I can do to get more info about what might be causing this?
  /Bernie\

Reply #4
I have another data point - something is very awry!   I was listening to a selection and I wanted to listen to it again, so while it was playing I hit "previous" [via the icon in the notfication area.. F2K was minimized at the time].   I heard a click... and the playlist was gone.

Nothing useful showed up in the console -- it had all the selections it had been playing and just one of the one I wanted to repeat.  Is there any way to get more information so you can have some idea what's going wrong?

Thanks  /b\

Reply #5
Try a clean portable install. Once you confirm playlists don't disappear with it you can decide how to proceed.
You could manually go through all settings of your current player and verify if something looks like it has anything to do with playlist manipulation.
Or you could manually add components from old setup to the new portable test install and see if the issue reappears. Since testing is slow you can probably copy all the old components back at once, just make sure not to copy their configs. If the issue doesn't reappear you know it's a configuration problem.

Reply #6
OK.  I uninstalled 1.4,8 and installed 1.5 portable.  Should I have not included the default collection of options?   I'll see what happens.
It's a bit tricky for me to play with, since it doesn't support file types, but I'll manage.  Thanks!

Reply #7
I've had the same issue a couple of times, last time just yesterday with v1.5.1

Are there debug builds of foobar2000 or something, that have very verbose logging? The issue isn't easily reproducible, so I'd like to make sure that when it does happen again, there would be logs that reveal its root cause.

Reply #8
I cannot add something helpful,

but did not understand what happened *exactly*

Would you be so kind and answer?

a)
Is the Playlist removed completely?
(say, you have a playlist called "my playlist" and the whole playlist is removed, so the playlist-manager is not showing "my playlist" anymore)

b)
Is only some of the content of the playlist removed randomly?
(say, you have 30 files in that playlist and after a while its only 10 files) ?

c)
Is the content of the Playlist removed completely?
(say, you have 30 files and after a while, the playlist is empty and shows no files. Which could be the result of b) )

d)
all of them randomly ;-)

Just in case, I mention, that I had/have encountered a similar phenomena (Missing tracks when adding a very long folder with a lot of subfolders )

Are there debug builds of foobar2000 or something, that have very verbose logging? The issue isn't easily reproducible, so I'd like to make sure that when it does happen again, there would be logs that reveal its root cause.
AFAIK, console logs is the only logging availabe. No such thing as (more) verbose.

Reply #9
So what happened last time is:
- I played playlistX with Order "Shuffle (tracks)"
- I switched to the "Library Viewer Selection", set Order to "Default" and closed foobar2000
- the next day I open foobar2000 and switch to playlistX, which itself isn't removed and is still in the same place in the list of playlists
- playlistX is blank, i.e. doesn't contain anything

In my case, it's always been so that the playlist itself isn't removed, but all of its contents are.

Reply #10
- I switched to the "Library Viewer Selection", set Order to "Default" and closed foobar2000
- the next day I open foobar2000 and switch to playlistX, which itself isn't removed and is still in the same place in the list of playlists
- playlistX is blank, i.e. doesn't contain anything

I tried to reproduce your steps, but my "PlaylistX" was not cleared, neither Library Viewer Selection playlist was empty on f2k restart.

Did you renamed the Library Viewer Selection playlist to "PlaylistX" ?
Is your PlaylistX normal or autoplaylist ?

You can create a normal or autoplaylist from your search results (see screenshot). Try both and restart f2k to see what happens.

Reply #11
I think you missed the following phrase in my initial post:
The issue isn't easily reproducible [...]
I've had it happen 2 or 3 times in the past 8 months or so, and am unable to reproduce it when I try to. It only happens when I don't want it to :)

playlistX is a normal playlist (i.e. created by doing "Add new playlist", and manually adding songs to it from time to time). I hadn't added any songs to it in nearly a week, so the playlist was "stable"