Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Lyrics plug-in (Read 6436 times) previous topic - next topic

Lyrics plug-in

Only thing keeping me from using foobar atm is the lack of a lyrics plug-in.. I know, I sound like a homo  But I love my lyricsamp on Winamp3.. I just hate Winamp3  I wish I could make it myself but I'm a n00b.. /= Would anyone be willing at all? Is it even possible?

Lyrics plug-in

Reply #1
:B is not a stupid colourful player like WinAmp 3 or Windows Media Player 8 so if i were you i wouldn't count to this.
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']01100110 01101111 01101111 01100010 01100001 01110010 00110010 00110000 00110000 00110000[/span]

Lyrics plug-in

Reply #2
it's a good idea 

Lyrics plug-in

Reply #3
:B is not a stupid colourful player like WinAmp 3 or Windows Media Player 8 so if i were you i wouldn't count to this.

Another example of knee-jerk pseudo-elitism on this forum.

Yes, Winamp 3 and WMP 8 are stupid and colourful, but I gather that the beauty of Foobar2000 is that while it's core will always be bloat-free, its architecture will allow all sorts of 3rd party extensions.  Some of these may even be stupid and colourful.  Some may even display lyrics.

Lyrics plug-in

Reply #4
I agree with driptray. I don't really need a lyrics plug-in, but if someone can make one it'd be cool, and I'm sure someone will eventually make one, and this has nothing to do with being a "stupid colorful player", it's about being a plug-in (or components) based player, which foobar2000 abviously is.

Lyrics plug-in

Reply #5
Only thing keeping me from using foobar atm is the lack of a lyrics plug-in.. I know, I sound like a homo   But I love my lyricsamp on Winamp3.. I just hate Winamp3   I wish I could make it myself but I'm a n00b.. /= Would anyone be willing at all? Is it even possible?

What exactly does a "lyrics plugin" do? Some kind of karaoke B.S.?

Lyrics plug-in

Reply #6
Far as I know, lyrics plugins differ a bit in their functionality. Usually they give the ability to retrive lyrics stored in a mp3's lyrics tag (don't recall the exact tag name), or from a text file by matching it with the file name of the currently playing song. The plugin then displays the lyrics (on song start or whatever) in a window. Some plugins can also scroll the lyrics with a selection based on timestamps, so that the selection matches the current actual song position.
It's rather handy for some things, karaoke aside, like translation of foreign music.

Lyrics plug-in

Reply #7
But Lyrics is not saved only in Mp3's with Id3v2?
Made in Portugal

Lyrics plug-in

Reply #8
But Lyrics is not saved only in Mp3's with Id3v2?

a very long time ago (must be one year and a half...) I read that mp+ also supported lyrics?!

And what about lyric support of vorbis files? I might start a thread about this in OGG - Tech.

A nice colourful player and lyric support might convince me to finally switch to :B.

fragtal
I love the moderators.

Lyrics plug-in

Reply #9
Lyrics standard for all codecs might be a bit unfeasible (there's only one for mp3) and unneeded, in my opinion. A simple file name match to a text file, or a central database (even better), would be nice. Though this is really up to the plugin developer, even if someone will want to make one for fb2k (usually people find it useless).

Lyrics plug-in

Reply #10
surely APEv2 and OGG tags can hold lyrics? and there are timestamp standards so presumably a standard time-based lyric format could use them? e.g.

[00:00:55] Mama
[00:00:57] Just killed a man
[00:01:00] Put a gun against his head
[00:01:03] Pulled my trigger now he's dead

etc..

and in case of long pauses without words you could have end times as well:
[00:03:00-00:03:10] long sentence before music only bit
[00:04:04] more words
[00:04:07] and so on.

I would have thought that would be how lyrics players would already be implemented but I don't know.. Anyone?

Lyrics plug-in

Reply #12
Lyrics standard for all codecs might be a bit unfeasible (there's only one for mp3)

That's a very bad misconecption. id3v2 can perfectly store lyrics, both syncronised and unsyncronised. Lyrics3v2 is not the only format. Both Vorbis comments and Apev2 can store lyrics because of their custom fields.

Lyrics plug-in

Reply #13
I didn't mean technically difficult, but possibly difficult in terms of standardizing. I mean, imagine if there are two lyrics plugins, and one uses vorbiscomments "lyrics" and the other "lyricsinfo", for example. What if the vorbisdev comes up with their own way? Or would it be on first come first serve basis? ;p

Lyrics plug-in

Reply #14
Im sure it would be fine if every one just uses a field called "Lyrics". If plugin delevopers decide to use their own field exclusively then its their fault, there's no logic in using "Lyricsinfo" or such. Perhpas it would be a good idea to set up a standard though, I think it would be a good idea to declare whether there are time stamps, and possibly what language the lyrics are in, or a comment for the lyrics (i.e. source: www.lyrics.co.nz ).

This would solve the cross-compatibility problems between programs and you could balme any bad developers on not using accepted standards or something...

Lyrics plug-in

Reply #15
well i dont need the lyrics to auto scroll just be there in a window.
I  have about 3000 mp3's + lyrics 
I use music match jukebox and i tagged all of them with lyrics over the years.
this is coz i like to sing along (or disturb the neighbours  )
foobar is extremely light and very impressive and all i need is a plugin to recognize my lyrics
so i can ditch music match!!!!!!!!!!!