Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: For Beatles: hearing loss and age... (Read 5365 times) previous topic - next topic

For Beatles: hearing loss and age...

Ok, first off anyone can reply here (of course) but since I get the feeling that most of us are under 30 or slightly over 30 your answers really miss the point of my question...

What is the question you ask...

Well I would like to have an idea about how much hearing loss occurrs around the age of 40-50...?

Now since Beatles has been an engineer for 25 years, it seems to me he must be at least 45 if not 50, which is perfect for my question.

I, RD, am 29, a musician and a little worried aobut how much hearing I will naturally lose in the years ahead, and would really appreciate it if Beatles would be willing to share some of his experiences with us...

One last disclaimer: this thread is not meant to imply or argue that Beatles has lost significant hearing, or to invalidate any of his claims...

So Beatles:

1. Have you lost any hearing at all compared to your 20s (maybe very slightly?)

2.  If no how did you preserve it, any tips?

3. If yes, what apects have you lost? For example, can you hear sounds over 19 Kilohertz? or only up to 18 Kilohertz now?

4.  Have you lost bass frequencies or treble freq, both? or more one of the other?

5. Any other comments?

Thanks.

Reply #1
Originally posted by RD
Ok, first off anyone can reply here (of course) but since I get the feeling that most of us are under 30 or slightly over 30 your answers really miss the point of my question...

What is the question you ask...

Well I would like to have an idea about how much hearing loss occurrs around the age of 40-50...?

Now since Beatles has been an engineer for 25 years, it seems to me he must be at least 45 if not 50, which is perfect for my question.

I, RD, am 29, a musician and a little worried aobut how much hearing I will naturally lose in the years ahead, and would really appreciate it if Beatles would be willing to share some of his experiences with us...

One last disclaimer: this thread is not meant to imply or argue that Beatles has lost significant hearing, or to invalidate any of his claims...

So Beatles:

1. Have you lost any hearing at all compared to your 20s (maybe very slightly?)

2.  If no how did you preserve it, any tips?

3. If yes, what apects have you lost? For example, can you hear sounds over 19 Kilohertz? or only up to 18 Kilohertz now?

4.  Have you lost bass frequencies or treble freq, both? or more one of the other?

5. Any other comments?

Thanks.

I started VERY young I am 43. I protected my hearing very well over the years by mainly using monitors that I was familiar with, limiting my exposure to loud music for extended periods of time and using plugs during loud non critical parts of sessions. My ears are how I earn my living so I've always been very sensitive to their care. I'm good to just over 17 which isn't much worse than when I was younger. As for bass frequencies I've never heard of anyone losing that ability through age.

Reply #2
Originally posted by RD

Well being same age as Beatles :-)
Yes as you get older you'll loose some, especially high freq. Also it becomes more difficult to hear very soft sounds.
I can hear test tones up to about 15.300 Hz now. When I was young I didn't have equipment that good I guess.

I tried you avoid loud noise/music and protected my ears with plugs when I was going to be exposed to them. Now I do that only for extreme situations (where my ears hurt).

I tend to get more interest in Bass frequencies  Seriously it's the mainly highs you loose.

Being a male is a disadvantage in this respect. There is a some connection with loosing your hair.

But hey, I still can hear/make music, and I have hardly a problem with MP3's >16KHz limitations.
--
Ge Someone comes out :-)
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #3
I started VERY young I am 43

Alright I mis-guaged but not by much!!! 

As for bass frequencies I've never heard of anyone losing that ability

Is this true?  IF so thats great!

Being a male is a disadvantage in this respect. There is a some connection with loosing your hair.

Please tell me you are kidding..right?...I hope...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

So now to the most important part of the 40s-50s question:

How is SEX after 40? .... kidding .... :roflmao:

Reply #4
How is SEX....

Just the same as it ever was!!! (providing you have the right partner!!!

Speaking personally, that stretches beyond 50 too!!!

Sorry...way off thread

john33

Reply #5
John33,

I never would have guessed you are over 50, because
you act too cool and hip... 

I would, of course, be very interested in your comments on hearing down through the ages... see the 5 questions above i gave  to Beatles...

Thanks.

Reply #6
I am 43 and my hearing hasn't degraded at all yet. I can hear over 20khz. And I still have all my hair which hasn't grayed a bit (it goes all the way down to my ass, btw). Now my sex life - that's another subject entirely...

Reply #7
What is this - a boarding house?:eek:

Reply #8
RD
hearing down through the ages....

Hold on a minute, I said through 50 not 500!!!

Certain things are supposed to make you go blind, aren't they? (probably deaf too)  :confused: 

To be honest, I've never actually measured my hearing capabilities, I'll give it a try and let you know.

john33

Reply #9
Alright guys!!!

This is meant to be serious you know! 

I really would love some feedback on hearing loss and older men.

I am 43 and my hearing hasn't degraded at all yet. I can hear over 20khz. And I still have all my hair which hasn't grayed a bit ...

Forgive me for being skeptical but it would only be normal for your hearing to degrade a little... what are you superman? ... don't answer that...

I do not want to hear about anybody else's sex life... that was a joke to liven things up...man they weren't kidding when they say mp3 and sex are the most common search engine words...

Oh and btw John33 I did not mean 'ages' in that sense!!??!?!

Reply #10
Forgive me for being skeptical but it would only be normal for your hearing to degrade a little... what are you superman?
I think people age in different ways and at different rates. I know guys that started going bald in their 20's. I know that my memory and eyesight isn't what it used to be, but I also know that my hearing is - I just had it checked a couple of months ago.

Reply #11
I've attempted to test my hearing using the tone generator in Cool Edit Pro at 44100, stereo, 16bit, Sine, taking the default settings. If this is a valid way of testing (I'm sure someone will tell me if it's not, please), then, at normal listening volume, I can hear the tone at 21100 but lose it at 21200.

If this is not a valid way to test would someone please advise what is?

Thanks

john33

Reply #12
A visit to your audiologist is the preferred method, especially if you suspect hearing loss.  If you're just curious, there is a CD which should give you a pretty good idea:

http://www.digital-recordings.com/audiocd/audio.html

For best results, get yourself the headphone coupler, an SPL meter, AKG 270 headphones, and an isolation room.  Otherwise, perform the test in the quietest circumstances you can obtain.

If you want free, then generate a series of pure tones at each frequency of interest in Cool Edit.  The tones should beep on and off in increasing 1 dB volume steps, 1 beep per second, starting from the lowest resolution you have available (in 16 bits, that would be -96 dB).  When you play back the tones, note when you first start to hear them.  Then plot across frequency.  The result will be your absolute threshold of hearing curve, and will probably look like the curve I generated here:

http://ff123.net/audiogram.html

Reply #13
Thanks ff123, I'll give it a try!

john33