Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Handling and converting MIDI files to WAV (Read 5493 times) previous topic - next topic

Handling and converting MIDI files to WAV

I want to convert MIDI files to WAV for burning to CD a small collection of music (about 7 hours). What's the best thing I can use to do this conversion flawlessly? Maybe something on www.un4seen.com that was earlier reccomended for the same thing with modules? Thanks for whatever help you give me...

Reply #1
IMHO the best would be to let a real good (external?) synthesizer (with really good samples) play those MIDIs and record everything. Otherwise the quality will suffer from  suboptimal samples.

Are there any real good synthesizers in software?

Reply #2
IMHO the best would be to let a real good (external?) synthesizer (with really good samples) play those MIDIs and record everything. Otherwise the quality will suffer from  suboptimal samples.

Are there any real good synthesizers in software?

I heard it was possible to convert MIDIs to WAVs without going through hardware, resulting in perfect conversion. Is this really possible. I think the software to do it was a Windows software called Midi2Wav but, I'm not 100 pre cent sure on that name. If anyone knows, let us know...

Reply #3
MIDI is only information about what sample to play when, how loud, duration, fx, etc.  You need some kind of sound module to give you the actual samples to play.  Most soundcards have rudimentary midi support with subpar synths.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #4
MIDI is only information about what sample to play when, how loud, duration, fx, etc.  You need some kind of sound module to give you the actual samples to play.  Most soundcards have rudimentary midi support with subpar synths.

OK. With that being said, what are my options here? My sound card is a Voyetra Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.

Reply #5
I use Timidity++, but it needs GUS patches to work (the samples that would normally would be provided by your sound card).  The most common ones used with it are Eric Welsh's, and unfortunately his site seems to have disappeared.  A quick google search seems to turn up several mirrors that host it.  I'm not sure how up to date they are.  If you can find them (the filename will be "eawpats" or something like that), and setup Timidity with them, it doesn't matter what hardware you have, all your MIDIs will sound fantastic.

Now that I look at it, the new page for Timidity seems to list several different patch sets that can be used, as well as the matching .cfg files.  And I thought any sort of development on Timidity was dead.  Go figure.

Reply #6
I just had to do this and it took a week of fooling around with.  It is a pain.  But I found a way (from a newsgroup) that does work and it is free.  First there is some good information here:

Midi to Wav

The best way though is just to use iTunes.  A feature that isn't too well known is that you can just add a midi to a playlist.  Then iTunes will burn that list, including the midi, to a CD as just another track.  Now it's yours to rip and do with as you please.

Good luck!

Reply #7
Timidity++ Highly Recommended!!

http://timidity.s11.xrea.com/index.en.html

After proper installation, you won't satisfy to other MIDI anymore! But the sound quality depends on what sound patches you have. I use Eric A Welsh GUS patches for a long time, but seems his site was down now.

Anyway, you can have Japanese patches below:

http://www.anime.net/~goemon/timidity

It sounds more natural and comfort when playing Japanese anime MIDI
Hong Kong - International Joke Center (after 1997-06-30)

Reply #8
I found Tim Brechbill's Timidity++ easy installer site:

http://onefreehost.com/saxguru/Timidity.html

It has for download a setup installer, a TiMidity++ Soundfont Configurator and a nice set of free soundfonts, including the famous Patchkit by Eric A. Walsh:

Quote:

"FREE Soundfonts

#TimGM6mb.sf2 (4MB self-extracting) - This is the Default Soundfont that comes with the Full Version. Good for PCs with limited resources, otherwise I recommend one of the Merlin soundfonts. Download TimGM6mb.exe to the directory with other sf2 files, then double click on it to unpack.
#EAW Patches (22MB) - Patchkit by Eric A. Walsh One of the best set of .pat files around. They are Good quality, but not as good as the Merlin soundfonts, and are large and harder to download, install and setup.
#SaxesTB.sf2 (1.9MB sf2) - Smaller version is included in the default TimGM6mb.sf2. I recorded and Engineered this Sax Section soundfont. Soprano, Alto, Tenor, and Bari sax sound great as a section. Listen to Samples
For a HIGH QUALITY sound, try one of these FREE soundfonts:
#Merlin Gold Soundfont (11MB packed).
#Merlin Pro Soundfont (16MB packed).
#SfArk (509K) is required to unpack the soundfonts."
\"The R.I.A.A. is out there\"

Reply #9
This is other Software Synthesizer Midi Player WITH Soundfonts(work on any soundcard) worth trying:

SynthFont by Kenneth Rundt, free and high quality.
http://www.synthfont.com/

Also, check the free soundfonts by Merlin in the soundfonts section of http://www.midi-contest.com/

QUOTE:

"Merlin Grand 2.3
Apr-04-2004
26M sfArk, 56M sf2
by Lavio Pareschi

Outstanding new choir, viola, tremelo strings, brass and many others. More adjustments, more power, better Soprano and Baritone sax. Version 2.3: New grand concerto piano and better strings.

Merlin Gold 1.7
May-01-2004
12M sfArk, 28M sf2
by Lavio Pareschi

It was built based on the excellent WXP 1.2 and a selection of the best samples of the improved Grand 1.4, including the pianos and a new voices approach. Version 1.2: Better nylon guitar and very strong new timpani. Version 1.7: New SCC piano, better strings and lower voices loading.

Merlin Pro 6.3
Apr-04-2004
15M7 sfArk, 29M sf2
by Lavio Pareschi

Very improved. More conservative and stable version. Version 6.0 has better nylon guitar, steel guitar, clavinet, viola and several minor adjustments. Version 6.3: New stereo grand piano and better strings.

Merlin WXP 1.5
Apr-04-2004
8M7 sfArk, 16M sf2
by Lavio Pareschi

Specially for Windows XP + Creative Labs soundcards, to avoid chopping notes when playing heavy midi files. New powerful strings and piano. Don't be fooled if it is smaller, because it's one of the best Merlin soundfonts. Version 1.3: New timpani. Version 1.5: Better strings and minor adjustments.

My Own 1.2
Mar-20-2004
23M sfpack, 48M sf2"
by Karl Wittenburg

Very natural sounding in all areas, build and tweaked by constant comparision to CD-versions of recordings with real instruments - fuller strings, more realistic stringquartet, great piano, new horns, stefan`s cathedral organ in Church Organ and Reed Organ, real voice for synth voice, improved choir.

MIDIATE 0.42
by Chris Kevany

Midiate RC - modify midi files... Why?  Overview, Manual.
RECOMMENDED
\"The R.I.A.A. is out there\"