Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 mobile fundraiser (Read 184570 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar2000 mobile fundraiser

Reply #25
I don't even own a mobile device of any description 
BUT ............ I will donate some money to this project.
I think Peter deserves some kind of payday for all the years of effort he put into foobar2000.
STFU with any negative whining, just give the guy some money and let him have his day in the sun.

Reply #26
I'm a nobody, but FWIW I think this is great, and I wish them the best.  Hoping for at least Android level to be reached.  I'm fine with the level of detail provided, from the perspective that detail in these campaigns is a method to establish credibility, and they already have established that in spades.  Their best chance for success is for everyone to spread positive words.  I'm sure they have a marketing plan, but it strikes me that brief video interviews or stories on the largest audio-related sites would help get the word out, like head-fi, avsforums, hometheatershack, audioholics, and yes, even computeraudiophile.

Reply #27
spoon,

at the current stage, can you tell whether on the Windows Phone platform fb2k mobile will be able to play flac and WavPack songs?

(Both file formats are not natively supported by the OS).
This is HA. Not the Jerry Springer Show.

Reply #28
Their best chance for success is for everyone to spread positive words.  I'm sure they have a marketing plan, but it strikes me that brief video interviews or stories on the largest audio-related sites would help get the word out, like head-fi, avsforums, hometheatershack, audioholics, and yes, even computeraudiophile.

Mentions on web sites such as Mobile Nations could also be useful: 25 millions readers a month, dedicated forums for iOS, Android and Windows Phone.

I am not a registered member there, but maybe another HA member is.

Reply #29
1) Can someone clarify whether the Windows Tablet (Metro) version will support x86 devices only or ARM ones too?

1) I will need to clarify this with the other developers

Yes, please do, this is important to know.

I must confess like whitewidow the Kickstarter campaign structure is a bit confusing for me too. What if I donate to be a Windows version Tester or Early Bird, and the goal is never met? Does that mean I get my money back or do I end up contributing to iOS and Android versions I have no use for? If it's the latter then it really diminishes the appeal for me.

It might be wiser to split the kickstarter for different platforms.

I think so too to be honest. Let each platform stand on its own rather than supporters of the upper tiers (Android and Windows) ensuring the lower tiers are funded with no guarantee they'll get anything for their donation.

Looks to me like the Kickstarter concept is being used a bit incorrectly here. Aren't stretch goals supposed to be things all donors would like, leading many to up their pledges as a result? The way it's currently structured though if someone wants just an iOS version they won't bother donating once $100,000 is hit, and similarly if the Android supporters aren't interested in Windows they won't bother after $200,000 (unless they all really, really want cloud, social, streaming and the store).

Reply #30
All I saw was Foobar2000 Mobile and I inserted my credit card details

Reply #31
Definitely I am supporting you guys. Already payed.

Reply #32
Are the funding goals for iOS, Android and Windows Phone cumulative? 218000€ are denoted for Windows - does that mean that the money for iOS and android is already included in the sum?

Yes they are included in the sum.

You should clarify that! In the link to neowin from user extrabigmehdi you can see that people think that windows version should cost 210000€

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1208901-...le-kickstarter/

I had to double check to make sure it's for real. For something that's aiming to raise over a million $ the presentation isn't very convincing.

I must admit - after reaching the site by the ads in foobar2000 website - i thought it could be a fake: why should an official site use something as screenshot for foobar2000 that looks like panels ui layout. Also the big captions don't give a serious impression. i think something should be done on presentation.

Reply #33
Wow, it's real? The site just screams "joke", especially with the strange fluffy tone and the over-luxurious tier rewards. It all seems so out of line with foobar's brand.

So yeah, I'm sorry if I'm still skeptical even while having the actual kickstarter page in front of me.

Reply #34
Here's some five eurocents from me about what I'm thinking right now-

For the last 11 years and a half, I've been using my spare time to make a free product. For a while it became my primary job too, but I've turned down every single profit opportunity that would degrade the end user experience. Yahoo/Google/Bing toolbars? Hell no. Ads on the site? Got fucking tired of Google Adsense serving fake download buttons and went for a less profitable option that isn't disrespectful to the userbase.

If I just wanted the money, I'd make some right away, without handing anything new to you - just restore Google Ads at their worst + bundle either crapware with the installer; it would pay me be better than the Kickstarter will, considering the expected development cycle expenses.

We want to make something new - player engine written by me but combined with a professionally designed user interface, on all the mobile platforms. On top of that, all major decisions are still approved by me in person; while foobar2000 mobile is a separate product from the original foobar2000, I will not allow anything that would be in conflict with my software design philosophy. However, doing this right requires a coordinated effort of a development team; doing what we're hoping to accomplish requires a major investment - and this is where the Kickstarter comes into play.

Thanks for reading.

-P
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #35
One question comes to my mind - any chances for an osx offspring as well? this would make the whole foobar2k experience complete (i.e. synchronization of the db across all devices). Currently, after switching a while back to osx I'm stuck with itunes and it's less than optimal...

Reply #36
OS X foobar2000 is not planed at this time, sorry.

Reply #37
As uneasy as I am with the possibility that the iOS version will be funded and the Android version will not, my long term use of the PC version of foobar2000 is enough to make me want to pledge to give something back. Thanks, Peter, for everything so far - I look forward to the Android version.

[edit due to revision to KS goals - yay!]
lossyWAV -q X -a 4 -s h -A --feedback 2 --limit 15848 --scale 0.5 | FLAC -5 -e -p -b 512 -P=4096 -S- (having set foobar to output 24-bit PCM; scaling by 0.5 gives the ANS headroom to work)

Reply #38
The campaign has been updated to reflect the reality on the ground, iOS and Android goals have been merged under the existing main goal. The stretch goals which were not going to be met have been removed.

Windows mobile has been removed from this kickstarter, it will be developed externally after iOS and Android.

Reply #39
It's just not clear now for me what the status of the removed goals are. Will they be picked up again when the others are reached? Especially the streaming goal sounded fantastic to me. And what means external development of windows phone component?

Reply #41
It's just not clear now for me what the status of the removed goals are. Will they be picked up again when the others are reached? Especially the streaming goal sounded fantastic to me. And what means external development of windows phone component?

The removed goals are on hold for now. I agree streaming would be great.

External development, means the development will be handled externally to this kickstarter.

Reply #42
So Kickstarter doesn't accept Paypal etc. Perhaps this could be explained more clearly somewhere and make people know that the funds will be merged, otherwise mobile.foobar2000.com looks almost like a fake Kickstarter page. It also has some design/layout issues (at least in Firefox).
I'm not very convinced by the bundling of headphones, that glossy desktop app screenshot, the video.. perhaps you should put more focus on the mobile app itself and what it has to offer. Although I see now that that section will be updated, which is great.

I wish you guys all the best, but I still think this campaign could use some improvements to attract interest from more than just the "hardcore" Foobar fans.

Reply #43
why should an official site use something as screenshot for foobar2000 that looks like panels ui layout.

a google image search reveals that it is...   

http://radecke.deviantart.com/art/radecke-s-foobar-69470732

i think i can make out on the little video clip that it is some version of tedgo's dark one theme running. at least that one runs on current versions of foobar and doesn't use banned components.

Reply #44
If the point of the mobile.foobar2000.com page is to offer more currencies and payment facilities, I think you should drop the kickstarter layout entirely, just display the payment facilities and indicate that the funds will be moved over to the official Kickstarter fundraiser (with a clear hyperlink to it). The current situation is just super confusing.

I also hope that the file transfer / synching system will work on all major PC operating systems (Windows, OS X and Linux).

Reply #45
BTW, audiophoolery is where the money's at (hello Pono!). Maybe you could advertise 24 bit / 192 kHz playback on Head-Fi, or something.

Reply #46
OS X foobar2000 is not planed at this time, sorry.

Bummer, especially since the video on the Kickstarter website clearly uses a MacBook Pro when advertising the cloud syncing feature.

Would the iOS version support AirPlay streaming?  I think that is limited to 16-bit, 48KHz and Apple enforced ALAC encoding on-the-fly (I could be wrong) but it could still be possible for most audio files (just maybe on 24-bit, 192KHz lossless/PCM as that would eat through an iPhone's/iPad's battery encoding that to ALAC).

Reply #47
When I advise somebody to check out fb2k I usually do this with these words: "iTunes monitors YOU. foobar2000 monitors your library." There are many reasons why users hold foobar2000 in high esteem, for example
  • its consistent design
  • its functionality
  • its stability
  • its versatileness
  • its add-ons
  • its continuous development
  • its support
  • its being free from any kind of adware, spyware and so on
A lot of software especially on mobile platforms does gather as much private data as it can. Data that has nothing to do with the software's purpose and which isn't needed for the SW to do its job; data that is collected without user permission or user awareness; data that - behind the user's back - is sent over the internet for further analysis, who knows by whom and what for.

I've turned down every single profit opportunity that would degrade the end user experience. Yahoo/Google/Bing toolbars? Hell no. Ads on the site? Got fucking tired of Google Adsense serving fake download buttons and went for a less profitable option that isn't disrespectful to the userbase. [...]

We want to make something new - player engine written by me but combined with a professionally designed user interface, on all the mobile platforms. On top of that, all major decisions are still approved by me in person; while foobar2000 mobile is a separate product from the original foobar2000, I will not allow anything that would be in conflict with my software design philosophy.

I am confident a 'foobar2000 mobile' would have all the good attributes as the current PC version has; it would also enhance the value of the mobile operating systems as such, with their tens of thousands of useless crap "apps". The kickstarter campain's appearance in its entirety should from my point of view more reflect on this instead of using buzzwords which apparently irritate the fb2k community.

The future of computers will mainly be a future in which mobile systems will be dominant. Microsoft is in trouble because Steve Ballmer didn't realize that. Now let us support the Alien Cat to make the jump.

Reply #48
Humm looked at main page of foobar2000.org, and it took me some time to notice where is the announcement for the kickstater.
I think the way it's displayed, there's some "banner blindness":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banner_blindness

Reply #49
BTW, audiophoolery is where the money's at (hello Pono!). Maybe you could advertise 24 bit / 192 kHz playback on Head-Fi, or something.

make it support WAV only. you'd reach the target in no time.