Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Near-lossless / lossy FLAC (Read 176336 times) previous topic - next topic

Near-lossless / lossy FLAC

Reply #50

For optimum performance the intenal frame size of the encoder has to be taken into account when using the preprocessor. I suppose you haven't done this for TAK?

Right. I have just compressed the two files "on a rush" to check if - as I supposed - the action of the SoundSimplifier™  would be interesting also for other encoders.
And it was, so much, as your results show even more. Thanks for taking the time for the "optimized" encoding.

Thank you! It was fun to try if this very interesting preprocessor could also be useful for TAK. In the meantime i have checked the other lossy samples from this thread:

Code: [Select]
                               FLAC      TAK
                                         Turbo        Normal      Max
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
01_41_30sec_lossy              2,004,157   1,846,469    1,809,281   1,797,900
05_florida_seq_lossy             784,150     670,701      642,823     637,592
09_SeriousTrouble_lossy          223,366     126,843      122,256     121,305
13_Track03beginning_lossy        897,305     772,040      685,265     649,287
15_Track03entreaty_lossy         950,851     810,619      761,024     748,012
17_Track04cakewithtea_lossy    1,521,299   1,346,236    1,287,662   1,254,913
badvilbel_lossy                1,447,888   1,499,021    1,431,695   1,410,516
harp40_1_lossy                   881,164     903,859      838,660     753,119
herding_calls_lossy              656,097     636,489      570,787     548,968
trumpet_lossy                    605,151     620,738      596,649     552,079
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All presets used a frame size of 4096.

Hm, possibly i really should add an external option for frame size selection to TAK. This all looks very promising. The preprocessor is a very nice idea!

Reply #52
Just tried your variants of furious.
6_furious is terrible of course (10/10), and 5_furious is pretty bad as well (9/10 - guess I was a bit too fast with the last guesses).
But as for the other variants: I can abx none of them, and that's true also for your very first sample 07_furious_lossy which I tried again, but no chance (6/10). (I still had the impression with several guesses that the encoding is somewhat 'slower', but forget it.) Sorry for having you done this extra-work.

Will try the new samples now.
lame3995o -Q1.7 --lowpass 17

Reply #53
Just tried badvilbel, trumpet, herding_calls, harp40_1.

Everything is fine - only slightly questionable spot is second 0.9-3.1 on trumpet (8/10 on first trial - not abxable on second trial meant for confirmation).
Maybe somebody else likes to try trumpet?

Anyway great quality, David.

...Thank you! It was fun to try if this very interesting preprocessor could also be useful for TAK. ...

Great results with TAK. Things are getting more and more interesting.

Reply #54

...Thank you! It was fun to try if this very interesting preprocessor could also be useful for TAK. ...

Great results with TAK. Things are getting more and more interesting.

Oh yes!

But up to 20 percent better results for TAK compared to FLAC seemed to much. I performed another test where i myself compressed the files with FLAC's strongest mode -8. Now TAK's advantage is down to 10 percent. Still nice.

I replaced the file sizes with kbps values, which does make more sense in lossy comparisons. It would also be nice to have the compression results of the original (lossless) files to see, how much can be saved by applying the preprocessor, but currently i have no time to collect them.

edit: Table removed. The kbps values were 2 times too high! No time to correct it. Please look at the tables below.

Reply #55
Just to confirm:

The latest set of samples (those requested by halb27) were all processed with a frame/block size of 1024, and the "default" threshold setting.

As mentioned, Wavpack gives useful results too.

It would be possible to change the block size dynamically to give the best compression for a given sample, but that would require tighter integration with the lossless codec - or calling it repeatedly for each block, checking the resulting file size, and concatenating the best results together.

I'll try to get some more samples on line tomorrow.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #56
Just to confirm:

The latest set of samples (those requested by halb27) were all processed with a frame/block size of 1024, and the "default" threshold setting.

Does this regard to badvilbel, harp40_1, herding_calls and trumpet? Then i will have to update the results.

Reply #57
Yes.

Reply #58
I updated the results. Now the last 4 samples have been encoded with a block size of 1024. I had to hack TAK for such small frame sizes. It is not tuned for them and there is room for improvements. 3 of the samples achieved better results with a frame size of 4096. There is considerable interaction between preprocessor and encoder settings.

FLAC     TAK
                        -8       Turbo     Normal   Max
----------------------------------------------------------
01_41_30sec              510      492       482      479
05_florida_seq           553      537       515      510
09_SeriousTrouble        409      368       355      352
13_Track03beginning      536      515       457      433
15_Track03entreaty       530      509       478      469
17_Track04cakewithtea    466      449       429      418
badvilbel                431      436       420      419
harp40_1                 428      415       397      384
herding_calls            461      450       423      417
trumpet                  479      470       456      442
----------------------------------------------------------
Average:                 480      464       441      432

edit: And another correction of the table...

Reply #59
Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!

I did some mistake. When calculating the kbps, i forgot that we are dealing with 2 channels, which means half the bitrate! Sorry, but good news regarding the preprocessor efficiency i suppose.

Here a new table which also contains the kbps values for the lossless compressed files. "Savings" is the effect of the preprocessor. I could not include the file "09_SeriousTrouble", because i don't have a lossless copy of it.

FLAC -8                    TAK Extra Max
                        Lossl.   Lossy    Saving   Lossl.   Lossy    Saving
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
01_41_30sec              924      510      414      895      479      416
05_florida_seq           797      553      244      771      510      261
13_Track03beginning      950      536      414      828      433      395
15_Track03entreaty       911      530      381      841      469      372
17_Track04cakewithtea    783      466      317      722      418      304
badvilbel                703      431      272      673      419      254
harp40_1                 636      428      208      527      384      143
herding_calls            531      461       70      444      417       27
trumpet                  776      479      297      693      442      251
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Average:                 779      488      291      710      441      269

edit: Correction of the table. Thanks to Porcupine.

Reply #60
Wow, amazing thread. I'm really late to the party, and I need to install foobar2k before I can even start listening to FLAC files and seeing if I can ABX things, but 2Bdecided's lossy "VBR" pre-processor for FLAC sounds great to me.

One thing I noticed though is that so far, most of the tests were done with problematic (tonal) samples for lossless encoders. Wouldn't it also be good to do some tests with easy (noise-like) samples too? That way we can check how aggressive and dynamic the VBR pre-processor really is. Ideally, I think it should be able to identify high noise-levels on easy samples and set a much greater amount of LSBs to 0. Which could also put it at risk of being non-transparent again, but I think that's the goal of good VBR.

TBeck, are you sure those kbps figures are correct? They seem off to me, compared to the figures that 2Bdecided gave in his lossy_flac.gif file he posted earlier. Plus, 200 to 400 kbps for some of those lossless files doesn't seem right to me. Maybe I misunderstood what your table is showing.

Reply #61
TBeck, are you sure those kbps figures are correct? They seem off to me, compared to the figures that 2Bdecided gave in his lossy_flac.gif file he posted earlier. Plus, 200 to 400 kbps for some of those lossless files doesn't seem right to me. Maybe I misunderstood what your table is showing.

Oh no, i did it wrong again! ("Oops! I did it again", possibly in the same mental state as the person i cited here...) Don't know what is going on with me today... Some mistake in my calculation sheet: I used an absolute instead of a relative cell reference. Too bad.

Thanks for telling me!

I will correct it soon.

Thomas

Reply #62
It seems that the SoundSimplifier™ method is proving to be useful in use with any lossless codec. Yes, it's a contradiction in terms, but there is certainly a "market" for, shall we say, a "high-quality" lossy pre-processing algorithm.

Out of interest, what bitrate does Lame or OGG require to become un-ABX-able for the presumably tricky samples already mentioned?
lossyWAV -q X -a 4 -s h -A --feedback 2 --limit 15848 --scale 0.5 | FLAC -5 -e -p -b 512 -P=4096 -S- (having set foobar to output 24-bit PCM; scaling by 0.5 gives the ANS headroom to work)

Reply #63
Out of interest, what bitrate does Lame or OGG require to become un-ABX-able for the presumably tricky samples already mentioned?

Some like florida seq, badvilbel are old mp3 hard samples. I think even 320k may not be enough. Florida is bad with -v0 or 256 abr - pre echo is severe, mpc -standard and dualstream are affected on the 'pfft' bit. One of Porcupines samples (with violin in the end) trips all the mp3 -V presets and I abxed 256 abr too. Other samples are exclusive to hybrid encoders (furious). Don't know about OGG. With mp3 bad cases can be reduced or corrected at 200~250k .. Above that its not worth it IMO and 320k is probably not right either. In that case a total psymodel overhaul would be needed.

Reply #64
I'm just trying to rationalise the justification / logic of a lossy pre-processor to a lossless codec. That said, when 2BDecided's method becomes available I will certainly use it during FB2K transcoding from .flac to .lossy.flac for iPAQ use. From the table above it seems that the lossy / lossless (LYLS?) method produces very good quality at about 400 to 500 kbps.
lossyWAV -q X -a 4 -s h -A --feedback 2 --limit 15848 --scale 0.5 | FLAC -5 -e -p -b 512 -P=4096 -S- (having set foobar to output 24-bit PCM; scaling by 0.5 gives the ANS headroom to work)

Reply #65
Most of the samples mentioned arise from knowledge as being a problem for wavPack lossy. Because of similarities they have a higher probability to be a problem for the preprocessor as well (as long as we don't know more).

Part of the problems are known to be not easy for various codecs, for instance harp40_1, trumpet, herding_calls.
harp40_1 is transparent to me using Vorbis -q5 or Lame 3.98b3 -V1. -q4 resp. -V2 are acceptable.
trumpet isn't a problem any more with Lame 3.98b3 -V2 (haven't tried a lower setting), but was a serious problem with Lame before (partially solved with 3.97 final). herding_calls also is a problem to many codecs - in a recent mp3 listening test of mine wasn't transparent @ ~ 192 kbps with none of the mp3 encoders I tested (but acceptable for instance using Lame 3.98b3 -V2).

Generally speaking using mp3 IMO we shouldn't struggle too hard for perfection. With a bitrate around 192 kbps we get an excellent quality most of the time with a good encoder, and we have to accept that there are samples which aren't very good. Luckily this happens rather rarely.
Using Vorbis we get a better quality/bitrate ratio as well as an improved security against bad encodings at least when using -q5 or higher.

But the charme of lossless codecs and lossy variants is that there are no such things like separating the signal into different bands, simplifying the signal there, code it and usually transform it into the frequency domain, and put it all back together when decoding. This way music can be compressed extremely but the extreme transformation of the signal and the various kinds of heuristic decsion making make many people feel a bit uncomfortable as that's the potential source for many artifacts.

We are getting more and more into the situation where we don't have to be bound to low bitrate, so any high quality lossy variant of a lossless codec with a rather simple and clean signal path is getting more and more attractive. Doing it with a preprocessor that can be used with various encoders is especially attractive.

Reply #66
Well said! We're now getting into the realms of "what are the relative CPU requirements of Lossless and Lossy decoding" with a view to extending battery life on our mobile device.

But..... mobile devices are getting more and more storage (and more and more powerful and batteries are getting better), so in the not too distant future we'll be able to just use any of the lossless codecs (in full lossless mode ) without the need for any transcoding (or preprocessing).

Reply #67
One thing I noticed though is that so far, most of the tests were done with problematic (tonal) samples for lossless encoders. Wouldn't it also be good to do some tests with easy (noise-like) samples too? That way we can check how aggressive and dynamic the VBR pre-processor really is. Ideally, I think it should be able to identify high noise-levels on easy samples and set a much greater amount of LSBs to 0. Which could also put it at risk of being non-transparent again, but I think that's the goal of good VBR.
I'm open to suggestions - you name it / upload it, I'll try it (time permitting!).

You have to be careful with clipped samples. They don't harm quality, but they can bloat the bitrate unless you do something about it. The problem is simple: a positive clipped sample in integer binary is all ones (i.e. no zeros) so wasted_bits (or equivalent) is forced to zero.

There are various way around it.

1. You can take a 16-bit signal, losslessly transform it into a 24-bit signal (add 8 zeros!), losslessly reduced it by 6dB (shift towards the LSB by one bit), and then run it through the lossy preprocessor. The clipped sample is now 011111111111111110000000 which can be easily rounded to 100000000000000000000000 if appropriate. There is no quality hit to this method (beyond the action of the lossy pre-processor itself), but the audio is 6dB quieter.

2. As (1), but only attenuate the signal a little. This won't be 100% lossless (even setting the pre-processor asside), but about as close as you can get (you have 24 bits to play with) and the volume change can be much less.

3. You can attenutate the 16-bit signal a little bit before or within the lossy pre-processor, and keep it at 16-bits. (i.e. as (2), but at 16-bits throughout). You should probably dither with this method.

There are various other bodges that try to keep the full volume (e.g. rounding down / intentionaly changing the clipped samples, but leaving everything else), but this is more lossy and I don't like it.

I'll upload some samples next.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #68
Here are some more examples.

It's interesting to compare bitrates, but more important to ABX if you can!

The originals are mostly from here:

http://ff123.net/samples.html
http://gurusamples.free.fr/samples/
http://membres.lycos.fr/guruboolez/AUDIO/samples/

Cheers,
David.

Reply #69
Here are some more:

Reply #70
Just tried your variants of furious.
6_furious is terrible of course (10/10), and 5_furious is pretty bad as well (9/10 - guess I was a bit too fast with the last guesses).
But as for the other variants: I can abx none of them, and that's true also for your very first sample 07_furious_lossy which I tried again, but no chance (6/10). (I still had the impression with several guesses that the encoding is somewhat 'slower', but forget it.) Sorry for having you done this extra-work.
That's OK - thank you for ABXing.

6 was quantised at +12dB
5 was quantised at +6dB
3 was quantised at 0dB
4 was quantised at -6dB

1 and 2 were -6dB and 0dB respectively, but and spread the FFTs over 3 bins instead of 4, which lowered the noise further.

Cheers,
David.

btw, here are the bitrates I have for those latest files:
(YMMV if you use other than default FLAC settings)

Reply #71
6 was quantised at +12dB
5 was quantised at +6dB
3 was quantised at 0dB
4 was quantised at -6dB

1 and 2 were -6dB and 0dB respectively, but and spread the FFTs over 3 bins instead of 4, which lowered the noise further.

In case you're interested in my feelings: I had the impression that 1 was best and I even started to write it in my post, but erased it cause objectively speaking there can't be differences when you call something 'transparent' according to abx results.

Reply #73
It seems that the SoundSimplifier™ method is proving to be useful in use with any lossless codec.
actually not any, some codecs like monkey's audio and I think optimfrog do not have the feature that will take advantage of the static LSBs.

BTW shorten has it too and it also has a somewhat similar lossy mode.

Reply #74
Just tried Atem-lied. Couldn't abx it.