Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: potentially stupid questions about cabling... (Read 3031 times) previous topic - next topic

potentially stupid questions about cabling...

Hi guys!

After long months of research and emotional turmoil ;-) I've finally decided to purchase my first hi-fi (well... mid-fI I guess) system.

Yesterday I bought the NAD C315BEE amplifier and I am currently waiting on a pair of Whaferdale Diamond 9.1s which are already in the mail. The only two things I am missing now is cables and stands. Since I am out of money, the stands will have to wait. I have an E-MU 0404 USB which I will use as a DAC connected to my laptop. Since the NAD doesn't have balanced inputs I'll be using the unbalanced 3.5 mm jack to connect the speakers.

So here are my questions:

What cables should I buy for my system? I am guessing at this quality point spending big money on cables won't do much for me, would it? Should I just go to the local entertainment shop and get whatever thick isolated speaker cables they have? Also, what cable should I buy to connect the amp to the E-MU? My laptop is sort of far away from the amp so I will either run a long USB cable from the laptop to the amp/E-MU or a long audio cable from the E-MU to the amp. The length of the cable will be about 10 m. Is that OK for an audio cable?

Last and least important question: I will be putting the speakers on an old desk/cabinet for the time being. Eventually I am planning to invest in a pair of stands. Any recommendations in that respect? The floors are wooden and the house is about 80 years. old with 4 meter ceilings (just in case that matters :-))

Thanks a lot guys! Great forum!

Reply #1
10 meters is longer than I would recommend for the audio cable. If you go with 10 meters of USB then you will need a repeater in the middle (a simple USB hub will work fine here).

The bottom line on cables is that most of them range from overpriced to extremely overpriced. Low cost cables are perfectly adequate in most cases.

Reply #4
can't help you on the stands, but for reasonably priced cables go to www.monoprice.com