Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 and iTunes tags? (Read 922 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar2000 and iTunes tags?

I just bought an album from iTunes and I wanted to clean the tags so I opened foobar2000 and did my usual clean but I didn't see any iTunes tag and I thought it was weird so I downloaded Mp3tag and looked into the Extended Tags section and there were 4 iTunes + 1 Compilation tags that foobar2000 didn't read.

Now even three 3 more on MPC-HC that not even Mp3tag was reading:
AlbumTitleID                  : 557182299
PlayListID                    : 557182295
GenreID                        : 14

Why? Are they somewhere between the tags and the audio raw?

edit:
I checked Tools - Show more tags as well.

Reply #1
Probably specific atoms that nobody else knows how to read yet. It will require an atom tree examination of a file containing the requisite tags. Or, since MPC-HC is open source, it will just require examination of the source code to see which atoms they read those values from.

Reply #2
kode54, but Mp3tag did and modified them as well. The tags were ITUNNORM (Sound Check), ITUNSMPB and others I don't remember now, plus the Compilation tag, foobar2000 doesn't even read the Compilation tag?

edit:
If you were talking about only these three, got it thanks. I am more concerned about the other ones, shouldn't foobar2000 be able to read these simple tags?

Reply #3
Mp3tag (and possibly foobar2000) is designed to construct an ITUNNORM/Sound Check tag from the ReplayGain data.

iTunsMPB contains the gapless encoding information, and may be regenerated by Mp3tag and possibly foobar2000 if it is missing and Nero/Apple chapter information is present, which are the alternate sources of gapless encoding information. It should not be doing this to MP4 files generated by Apple's encoder, however.

foobar2000 reads the compilation tag as ALBUM ARTIST = Various, if Album Artist is not already defined, and will reconstruct it from the ALBUM ARTIST tag's presence.

And yes, I was referring to those other three that neither Mp3tag nor foobar2000 seem capable of interacting with.