Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: writing wavpack sound to stdout (Read 7137 times) previous topic - next topic

writing wavpack sound to stdout

Folks,

i'm getting ampache setup on linux and i need to be able to write audio out to stdout for the streaming to work. My collection is in wavpack.

For instance, the command line for flac would be ""flac -dc %FILE% | lame -b %SAMPLE% -S - - ".

I've been searching for hours and i can't figure out how to decompress a wavpack file to a pipe and not to a file.

Any help is welcome. I'd rather not convert 12k files to flac and lose all that tagging.

Thanks.
Music lover and recovering high end audiophile

Reply #1
This commandline should work:

wvunpack file.wv - | lame -b ...

Reply #2
This commandline should work:

wvunpack file.wv - | lame -b ...

Thanks. That's what i've been playing with and it does not quite work.  With flac, if i do "flac -dc myfile.flac | lame -b 8192 -S - - " i get crap (binary stuff) all over my screen. That's what i would expect and it's the correct behavior. There is no resulting file called myfile.wav.  The -dc parameter means decode,pass to stdout.

If i do that with wavpack, which does not seem to have a "pass data to stdout" switch, by entering "wvunpack myfile.wv | lame -b 8192 -S - - " i just see it uncompressing and no crap flies up my screen as it should. I end up with a file called myfile.wav and i should not.

Any ideas?

Thanks.       

Reply #3
Any help is welcome. I'd rather not convert 12k files to flac and lose all that tagging.

Please, I hope that's not necessary !! 

I think I know the problem. The command line that lvqcl gave will work fine in Windows, but there is a slightly different syntax required in Linux because on Linux you can have multiple input file entries on the command line and so a -o is required if an output file (or stdout) is specified:

Code: [Select]
wvunpack file.wv -o - | lame ...

This is shown in the usage line, but these formal format specifications are not always obvious, and I see that nowhere is it mentioned that dash (-) refers to stdin and stdout (although that is pretty common):

Code: [Select]
 Usage:   WVUNPACK [-options] [@]infile[.wv]|- [...] [-o [@]outfile[.wav]|outpath|-]

Note that I added -o as a nop to the Windows version so that the same syntax could be used on both platforms if desired (this is used for Logitech's SqueezeCenter).

Hope this works better!

David

Reply #4
Bryant,

Yes!!! Thank you so much! It's now working fantasticly. I can stream my wavpack files all over!

And to think I almost converted back to flac. That was a close one!

Thanks again,

Bearcat