Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Drag'n'drop doesn't work for folders which name ends with  (Read 2132 times) previous topic - next topic

Drag'n'drop doesn't work for folders which name ends with

I have an unpleasant issue. Foobar doesn't add content of any drag'n'dropped folder which ends with dot
My system is Win7 x64.

Reply #1
Naming Files, Paths, and Namespaces
  Naming Conventions
    The following fundamental rules enable applications to create and process valid names for files and directories, regardless of the file system:
  • (...)
  • Do not end a file or directory name with a space or a period. Although the underlying file system may support such names, the Windows shell does not. However, it is acceptable to start a name with a period.

(source)
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #2
Do not end a file or directory name with a space or a period. Although the underlying file system may support such names, the Windows shell does not. However, it is acceptable to start a name with a period.

Apparently, there IS a limited support of such files/folders by Windows shell -- at least it can open them. Also the quoted rule is for creatig folders, not for reading them.

Also Far manager has full support for creating such folders and working with them, so it would be a nice feature for foobar2000 to recognize them too, because such folders can be seen in real life.

Currently foobar2000 already has limited support of them.
Assume we have folder C:\Music\!TEST... with files 1.mp3 and 2.mp3 inside.
When I drag these mp3s into playlist from that folder being opened in Explorer, foobar recognizes and plays them just fine.
But when I drag the folder !TEST... itself into playlist, instead of *.mp3 it adds an item !TEST (no dots), and, when trying to play it, of course, you get the following error:

Code: [Select]
Unable to open item for playback (Unsupported file format):
"C:\Music\!TEST"

What I'd like to see is either detecting of media files inside such folders (in our example, 1.mp3 and 2.mp3) or (if it's not an option) at least making foobar special-folders-aware.

Reply #3
Do not end a file or directory name with a space or a period. Although the underlying file system may support such names, the Windows shell does not. However, it is acceptable to start a name with a period.

Apparently, there IS a limited support of such files/folders by Windows shell -- at least it can open them. Also the quoted rule is for creatig folders, not for reading them.

You can't read folder that wasnt created o.0

Also Far manager has full support for creating such folders and working with them, so it would be a nice feature for foobar2000 to recognize them too, because such folders can be seen in real life.

Currently foobar2000 already has limited support of them.
Assume we have folder C:\Music\!TEST... with files 1.mp3 and 2.mp3 inside.
When I drag these mp3s into playlist from that folder being opened in Explorer, foobar recognizes and plays them just fine.
But when I drag the folder !TEST... itself into playlist, instead of *.mp3 it adds an item !TEST (no dots), and, when trying to play it, of course, you get the following error:

Code: [Select]
Unable to open item for playback (Unsupported file format):
"C:\Music\!TEST"

What I'd like to see is either detecting of media files inside such folders (in our example, 1.mp3 and 2.mp3) or (if it's not an option) at least making foobar special-folders-aware.

There is a lot different "special folders" as you call it. It's a mess, but thats not foobar's fault, its rather file system/windows problem. Just be cause you can create folder with dot at the end doesnt mean you should. Google it if you want to know more