Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Once and for all .. Chromecast Audio device with Foobar (Read 32483 times) previous topic - next topic

Once and for all .. Chromecast Audio device with Foobar

I finally got the Chomecast Audio working with PLEX (with optical, even), but I really hate the interface. Reminds me of Itunes, which I also hate. I don't want a Music Library manager, just a simple "add some files and play them" kind of thing.

Using Windows 10, has somebody figured out an easy way (I am somewhat technically challenged but can follow concise directions) to get foobar2000 working with this device? I'd appreciate it. I know this has been discussed before, but I haven't found a thread with directions I can understand.

Thanks for your help!

Scott P

Re: Once and for all .. Chromecast Audio device with Foobar

Reply #2
Thank you SO MUCH for the quick reply.

It was simple and sounds wonderful, and finally I can throw away the Bluetooth dongles that promised to deliver this but sounded lousy. This is PERFECT!

Scott

Reply #3
Hello To you all !
I was using Foobar2000 to cast to a Chromecast Audio located in other room. It was working well for me for couple of months , using
BubbleUPNP server . Two weeks ago it stopped working , the Foobar2000 player starts playing but dosen't going forward and stuck.
If i'm trying to use my smartphone ( Samsung A5 ) as a renderrer it works well - but then i have to connect it with cable to the stereo
reciever . Deos anybody have an idea how to fix this issue and keep on playing through the Chromecast Audio ?

Reply #4
The Massage i get from the Foobar 2000 player ' when i try to cast to the Chromecast Audio is :
"Unrecoverable playback error: UPnP device error: Current state of service prevents invoking that action. For input string: "0-1".

Thanks for your help!
Yuval .

Reply #6
Hallo Fairy !
What do you mean 24 bit ? in the Foobar2000 options ?
Thanks - Yuval

Reply #7
I have seen the comment in the italian site of "Tom's Hardware".
This is exactly what happened to me !
Do you have any solution to this problem ?

Reply #8
I'm getting this same error message. When I attempt to play a song from Foobar, my speakers make the "Bleep" sound, like it's about to play, and then it gets stuck. Exactly how you described above.

I am dying to know how to get this to work properly. I finally got a chromecast audio last week after reading that it's possible to cast FLAC from Foobar. If only I could figure out what's wrong. I'm so close!!

I'm using windows 10 on a PC.

Reply #9
Hallo Fairy !
What do you mean 24 bit ? in the Foobar2000 options ?
Thanks - Yuval

You can set the output bitdepth in foobar. But I heard more people have the same problem since recent time.
Possibly a Chromecast update that created this problem?

Reply #10
Hallo to you all !
I see it's not only my problem , but it dosen't make me happy.
Yesterday i tried to move the Chromecast Audio closer to the computer that plays the "Foobar" . it helped for an hour . At the evening i tried it again and the problem returned.
I don't think it has to do something with the bit depth because i re-installed the Foobar200 and it is set automatically to 16 bit.
Maybe , the strength of the Wii Fii signal important here.... i'm not shure .

Yuval.

Reply #12
Hallo again !
After I changed the location of the "Chromecast Audio" closer to the PC that plays  the "Foobar" , I made another change in the preferencies inside the player:
1. I changed the output fprmat to 24 bit instead of 16 bit.
2. More important I think - I put the "Buffer Length"  almost to the highest rate. It will cost me in CPU that working harder , but it
    seems that it solved the problem on my setup and "helped" the "Foobar" to start playing and keeping on with that.

About making the "Chrome cast Audio" playing through the ethernet wired - in my appartment it is not possible right now.
In the future when we will make a "remont" to the house - we will change that.

Reply #13
About making the "Chrome cast Audio" playing through the Ethernet wired - in my apartment it is not possible right now.
You may consider an Ethernet over power adapter. You can get probably get an older one for cheap. I don't think you need a gigabit one for audio.

Reply #14
Foobar2000 doesn't have a Chromecast plugin as far as I know.  However, you can use Bubbleupnp to make the Chromecast appear as a upnp device, which foobar can stream to.  See this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Chromecast/comments/42vg0i/bubbleupnp_now_lets_you_set_your_chromecast_up_as/

So I followed the guide and installed everything. It works fine for about 5 minutes when the foobar audio is disconnected and the Chromecast returns to the home screen. Did I miss something or what is going on here?

Thanks,
Johannes

Reply #15
I've been using Rogue Amoeba's Airfoil (paid software) more or less every day since 2009 to send music from Foobar2000 via WiFi (Airport Extreme) to an Airport Express using the AirPlay protocol (16/44.1 Lossless).

The latest version of Airfoil (v5.5.0b4) also casts to Chromecast devices (48 kHz PCM audio), and works just as brilliantly.
[Edit, also does gapless also AFAIKT]

Which means I can retire my ageing Apple network gear, bonus.

It's a no-brainer if you don't mind paying for software.

For the record I don't work for or have any affiliation to Rogue Amoeba.

Reply #16
Amoeba's Airfoil for Windows has been discontinued, unfortunately it is not open source. What is the best solution in 2020 to stream to a Chromecast Audio? Is it more reliable to simply use a Raspberry Pi as a DLNA receiver?

Reply #17
I haven't had time to read the whole thread, but if you want a simple app to stream local files to Chromecast - have you tried VLC? It should be able to do just that.
davidnaylor.org