Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is there a lossless fix for incorrect MP4 track lengths (Read 6151 times) previous topic - next topic

Is there a lossless fix for incorrect MP4 track lengths

I have a few albums that are encoded on Nero AAC Feb 12 2007, which had a known bug that writes the incorrect track time on the MP4 container. This bug really does cause some compat issues with Quicktime, GStreamer, XMMS and some hardware players by displaying the incorrect track time or ending the track too early. Which is a shame since this build is alot better then the August build (I did some ABX tests, and I even found a killer sample on the August encoder).

Just woundering if there is a possible lossless way to fix this issue.
"I never thought I'd see this much candy in one mission!"

Reply #1
mp4creator, mp4box, etc

Reply #2
mp4creator, mp4box, etc

Is there a option for one of those apps to rebuild the mp4 container. or do i need to dump the files as a raw AAC and then wrap them onto a new mp4 container?

Reply #3
You can fix them in quicktime by extracting the audio track then exporting as MP4 and choosing passthrough for audio.

Reply #4
You can fix them in quicktime by extracting the audio track then exporting as MP4 and choosing passthrough for audio.

Yeah that should work but don't you need the pro version or is it the Mac OS X version to do that on QuickTime, i doubt i could do that on Windows since it took years to have fullscreen on the non-pro version. Anyway I heard doing something like that is very usefull for getting a mpeg4 vid file to work on a ps3 though.

Reply #5

mp4creator, mp4box, etc

Is there a option for one of those apps to rebuild the mp4 container. or do i need to dump the files as a raw AAC and then wrap them onto a new mp4 container?

I believe the --optimize option will work on mp4creator

Reply #6

mp4creator, mp4box, etc

I believe the --optimize option will work on mp4creator

I had a quick try on that switch and sorry it did not work, still got the incorrect track time on some of the players mentioned above.

Reply #7
I have seem to got someware by using:

mp4box -isma

The track time seems to be correct on QuickTime after a file has gone trough this process, but i have tested the files on XMMS and other Linux players yet, but seems to work great on QuickTime.

Am just woundering what is this ISMA spec and if had the MP4 container formatted to this spec would it cause any huge compat isssues with other AAC players?