Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Looking for software to binary compare 32-bit *integer* lossless audio files. (Read 1567 times) previous topic - next topic

Looking for software to binary compare 32-bit *integer* lossless audio files.

This is kind of pointless in a way, but I'm looking for a tool to compare 32-bit integer lossless files. Something like the foobar2000 binary comparator, but with 32bit integer support, as foobar internally converts to float.
I understand there's absolutely no point in terms of audibility, but that's besides the point.

Is there any reasonably convenient way to do this other than converting them to WAV (not with foobar, of course), removing tags, and using file based duplicate finders? It's a lot of files and I don't even have the storage to do all of them in one go with that method.

Re: Looking for software to binary compare 32-bit *integer* lossless audio files.

Reply #1
FLAC? Compare MD5sums and verify integrity. Would only fail if two distinct files have a checksum collision, and that is just too unlikely to happen by coincidence. If you use foo_facets (I don't know if ReFacets have implemented it yet), you can use the statistics function to list a selection by the number of identical MD5sums. It will tell you how many MD5sums that exist "in duplicate" i.e. on two files.

WavPack? Same if you used -m upon encoding, that writes MD5 sum.
Also works for FLAC & WavPack in combination.

Does not work with Monkey's, it hashes the encoded data and not the decoded audio.

Re: Looking for software to binary compare 32-bit *integer* lossless audio files.

Reply #3
This already works in 64-bit foobar2000. No conversion from float to integer is needed for binary comparator.

Reply #4
Oh, and at https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,123036 Case mentions "wait for an update". Problem might get solved.
This already works in 64-bit foobar2000. No conversion from float to integer is needed for binary comparator.
Thanks for the heads up. I was still using the 32bit version because of the many components I have which probably aren't 64bit compatible yet (and some perhaps won't ever be?)

As for the details of the comparison: I converted a big collection of downloaded WAVs to WavPack with fre:ac a while ago, and was now testing the new FLAC 32-bit encoding ability. During that conversion I noticed some fortunatelly unimportant WV files were corrupt, containing what seems to be only headers and no audio, which don't even load on fre:ac, and fail to decode on foobar.
This finding made me suspicious, so I wanted to at least verify that the FLACs (which are a tad smaller than the WVs, btw) compare OK to the WVs.
I would just redownload and encode again, but I'm on a metered cell connection, so I can't afford it.

You may say that all this back and forth with lossless encodes is kinda pointless, and you may be right, but I wanted to try the new FLAC encoding, as that's the codec I use for all other lossless in reasonable bitdepths. I could also just downsample, but that's a consideration for later.

Well, let's see what foobar64000 (heh) has to say about this now.