Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Updated AAC Encoder from China (Read 7915 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Updated AAC Encoder from China

Reply #25
Without your compiles, this topic would clearly not be complete. Thanks!
Your wish is my command!! ;) Here they are;

www.rarewares.org/files/aac/falabaac-2.1.1.win32.zip

www.rarewares.org/files/aac/falabaac-2.1.1.x64.zip

Opinions on quality, etc, welcome. :)

Reply #26
Hello,

Thanks John for the compiles.

One type of rhythm this encoder doesn't like attached below. With -t 1 (short block only), it's Ok but bitrate goes all to 256kbit-ish, regardless you specify VBR or a bitrate.

AiZ

Reply #27
Thanks, John! Quick test with the Win32 binary at roughly 96 kbps stereo, 48-kHz Wave as input: CBR ("-b 91") sounds better than VBR ("-q 0.3"), both are automatically band-limited to less than 14 kHz, overall audio quality is, unfortunately, consistently bad in comparison to other (xHE-)AAC encoders - spectral holes, stereo image collapse, low-frequency rumbling. Probably even worse than MP3. Encoding was stable, though, it seems. ADTS format, not seekable, no MP4 containering.

Might be better at higher bit-rates, but then again, we have FDK-AAC and others at those rates. The psychoacoustic model should probably be re-evaluated.

Chris
If I don't reply to your reply, it means I agree with you.

Reply #28
I encoded with this program doing:
falabaac -i C:\Users\Use\Music\wav\10.wav -q 1.0"%i.m4a"
it works, it creates an aac file and then I remux with pazera audio extractor.
Then both files are corrupt and there is an hissing sound at the end at 0 db; like the electricity goes off.
Maybe because I'm a windows 7 user. What is the error?

Reply #29
Darnit, it seems this is not the FAAC replacement I was looking for (so far).

Still, I admire the effort :)

BTW, when I mux the AAC output with FFMPEG to a M4A container I get a nice file reduction (around 0.1%) :)

Edit: I meant 1% (like I save 300kb from a 3.6MB file.)

Edit2: Forget about the speed settings for now (i.e. the -l 6 lowpass is 10khz), the default -l 1 setting is pretty good.
"Something bothering you, Mister Spock?"