Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Audacity will spy you (Read 20093 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Audacity will spy you

Reply #26
I block most programs with a firewall. Why would a wav editor need a internet connection??

Reply #27
Relax, you nutsos. The PR was closed without merging. You can go back to using the software as the developer intended, without giving any feedback on what features you actually care about, and expect them to go back to fulfilling the requests of their most vocal users, regardless of how much they represent the total user base.

I bet you wouldn't even fill out a usage survey if they asked you to fill one out voluntarily. That's probably a violation of privacy, too.

Reply #28
It's amazing the passive aggressive answers here... just because some people care about KNOWING which data some external entities get.

You may not care at all about it or think the improvements it may bring are good enough to accept tracking. But that's just your opinion on the subject. I see no point on being so aggressive forcing that opinion on others... or repeating exactly the same mantra multiple times on the thread until what..? Someone magically accepts it?

As developer, how you manage your software, its usage and request is your choice. It's the user choice to send to hell software which uses tracking. Whether you like it or not. And for sure, tracking should be warned in a clear way, optional and it would be much better to not rely on third party entities like google for that.

Videogames doing it wrongly, or some browsers spying you even while reading personal emails, are not an argument to support tracking. 'Hey since everybody already spies you, then it's good. You should be happy because someone takes care of you, and your data, and all the great things they will do with it'.

And for sure, good software has existed well before tracking existed. And surveys. And feedback. And developers who didn't need tracking as a basis to code. There you got steam, and all those video-games with that fantastic tracking... it's ironic we have more problems with compatibility and non-optimized code now than 10 years ago. You also have win10 with bsods being the norm after many updates, even when win 10 is not an SO anymore but a tracking platform. What a surprise ;)

Reply #29
Oh no! Someone wants to know something about you. Better lock yourself in a shelter and cease all interaction with the world.
Hey, I tried that and it didn't work :P.
So yeah, agreed. At sooner or later the world will get to know you. Games, apps, and even OSes are just the start.
And it's not going to change as long as people like you will still find this behaviour is normal and will blindly accept whatever private companies want to get out of us without our consent or even warning us about what is done and why.

It's amazing the passive aggressive answers here... just because some people care about KNOWING which data some external entities get.

You may not care at all about it or think the improvements it may bring are good enough to accept tracking. But that's just your opinion on the subject. I see no point on being so aggressive forcing that opinion on others... or repeating exactly the same mantra multiple times on the thread until what..? Someone magically accepts it?

As developer, how you manage your software, its usage and request is your choice. It's the user choice to send to hell software which uses tracking. Whether you like it or not. And for sure, tracking should be warned in a clear way, optional and it would be much better to not rely on third party entities like google for that.

Videogames doing it wrongly, or some browsers spying you even while reading personal emails, are not an argument to support tracking. 'Hey since everybody already spies you, then it's good.'
Exactly. My info belongs to me, not to private companies. So it's my choice to share it or NOT.
I see no reason why I should be forced to give any info especially if it's going to be used for commercial purposes.

Reply #30
I bet you wouldn't even fill out a usage survey if they asked you to fill one out voluntarily. That's probably a violation of privacy, too.

If it was a Google survey, it would.

Again, nothing's wrong with telemetry, but there is no reason to use Google services for that.

I will not go back to Audacity. Fool me once, shame on me...
audiophile // flac & wavpack, mostly // using too many audio players

Reply #32
I go into things with exactly the worst possible outlook, and just happen to be pleasantly surprised when I get an inch better than that.

So, you expect developers to trust their most vocal users, and you expect them to code their own survey system rather than using the most convenient one.

Reply #33
Oh no! Someone wants to know something about you. Better lock yourself in a shelter and cease all interaction with the world.
Hey, I tried that and it didn't work :P.
So yeah, agreed. At sooner or later the world will get to know you. Games, apps, and even OSes are just the start.
And it's not going to change as long as people like you will still find this behaviour is normal and will blindly accept whatever private companies want to get out of us without our consent or even warning us about what is done and why.

Maybe because I worked out there is much better things to worry about in my life atm than what some online company does?
Sounds like very much a 1st-world problem than dealing with BS in your own neighbourhood. Let alone your own immediate life.

Reply #34
Fine. I don't care what anyone does with my software. I'll continue just making it for literally only myself and a handful of people, and anyone else can just be happy with what they get, and has no room to ask me to make any changes.

Reply #35
Well, yeah. That has been my whole M.O this whole time.

Reply #36
So, you expect developers to trust their most vocal users, and you expect them to code their own survey system rather than using the most convenient one.
Yeah, the most convenient one for the developer, the user doesn't matter he's just a toy to play with.

Maybe because I worked out there is much better things to worry about in my life atm than what some online company does?
Sounds like very much a 1st-world problem than dealing with BS in your own neighbourhood. Let alone your own immediate life.
Our lives are also made of this BS nowadays. And this is growing up and invading our lives day after day.
It starts with the survey excuse and always ends up with abuse. Always. That's the story of Google, Facebook and many more.
These private companies pretend to rule our lives for their sole benefit. They want to tell us what to do, what to say and what to think. For commercial purposes only.
So at the end I see no reason why I should grant internet access to Audacity, I want an audio editor, nothing else. I see no reason why this compass app on my phone should access my contacts, just give me the North direction. I see no reason why my Tesla can be remotly shut down by the manufacturer, since I bought it it's MY car, not Tesla's car anymore. Etc etc etc...

We are making the world we live in. The World is not "like that", we don't have to suffer the diktat of private companies, our choices our decisions are building our lives.
Saying "I don't care, it's not important" is encouraging dictatorship to grow up in any domain. Resistance is never futile, do it before it's too late.

Reply #37
If you don't care about having your privacy invaded, there is no reason to use Open Source anyway.

Reply #38
[...] your privacy [...]
yours:
neighbors, computer OS, browser, messenger, internet provider, phones geolocation, banking/transport cards, outdoors cameras on your way, and many other knows about you more then you want.
Again - relax. Or go living in Samali. Tru freedom, democracy and privacy.

Reply #39
Which is exactly why some people prefer Open Source - to see (and, potentially, modify) what is sent where. It amuses me that, while HA runs on a free forum software, true freedom is seen as dead and buried by its team.

As long as I have the choice between having my data sent to Google and not having my data sent to Google, I'll choose the latter.

Reply #40
Goody, I love having the ability and frequently the necessity to break out a development environment to fix the software before I can actually use it.

Reply #41
I'm assuming that if the dev of audacity goes down this road, there'll be someone who forks the old codebase and provides builds.

(also, what's the last audacity release that had a major new feature?  I strongly suspect you could use the last version of Audacity before Muse took over pretty much indefinitely without major issues)

Reply #42
I dunno, I use Ocenaudio, which is closed source software, and may or may not have analytics built in.

Reply #43
Which is exactly why some people prefer Open Source - to see (and, potentially, modify) what is sent where. It amuses me that, while HA runs on a free forum software, true freedom is seen as dead and buried by its team.

As long as I have the choice between having my data sent to Google and not having my data sent to Google, I'll choose the latter.

Okay, while you are at it:

* Detach from the modern world
* Go entirely off grid
* Live off the land
* Do away with society entirely.

Than you can be 100% Free. Then you will not have to worry about CPU microcode being copyrighted. Or anyone spying at all. Could be fun!

Reply #45
This is leading nowhere. Nice bait.

Reply #47

Okay, while you are at it:

* Go entirely off grid
* Live off the land

Than you can be 100% Free. Then you will not have to worry about CPU microcode being copyrighted. Or anyone spying at all. Could be fun!

There may be a half way point here mate. Also, this is clearly an informed user telling us that the program he uses is no longer suitable for his requirements. I don't see why we can't respect that.

Reply #48
* Go entirely off grid
* Live off the land

There's black and white and all in between. That it can't be white doesn't mean we have to agree to full blown black.

Reply #49
Thank you, NateHigs.