Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Which is the most popular CD ripper ? (Read 11041 times) previous topic - next topic

Which is the most popular CD ripper ?

Been out of touch for few years.

Which is the most popular CD ripper/extractor these days ?

I used to use
Cdex  and Exact Audio.

Are they still the best , most popular ?

I note that Cdex has not been updated for a few years.

Reply #1
Who cares which one is the most popular. I use foobar2000 (and sometimes CUERipper) for everything. http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...omparison_chart

To reply to your question, the most popular probably are EAC, dBpoweramp and EZ CD Audio Converter (I haven't been around on this forum long enough to understand why people hate and never talk about this one).

Reply #2
I use dbPoweramp for pretty much everything ripping/conversion related.

Reply #3
I mainly use EAC & CUETools.

Reply #4
i'd like to use cueripper but it doesn't like my optical drive. so i use foobar2000 and then verify it with cuetools. i like the accuraterip/CTDB verification log it creates.

Reply #5
Which is the most popular CD ripper/extractor these days ?

I guess it also depends on what environment you are on (windows, mac, linux...). I am a linux user, and prefer morituri, but rubyripper seems popular too.

Reply #6
Wouldn't Windows Media Player and iTunes be the most "popular" CD rippers?

I guess you meant most popular here. Seems to be EAC and dBpowerAMP. You could start a poll.

The problem with popularity is that once a group of people find something that's good enough (or that has some initially uniquely useful features), they tend to stick with it and recommend it to others - and the collective experience and knowledge in that group enhances its usefulness to members. Meanwhile, there could be something equally as good (or even better) our there which few people in that group are using.

Sometimes it's good to think "that might have been the best solution 5 years ago, but what else is out there today?" - which is exactly what you're doing.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #7
iTunes and WMP are likely the most popular.

As to the most popular secure ripper for Mac these days, I'd wager to guess it's XLD.  For Windows I'd be surprised if it wasn't EAC.

Like many things in life it is really hard to say what is best. There are too many factors involved as well as metrics that differ from person to person.  For Windows, dBpoweramp, EAC, CUERipper and foobar2000 are all fine rippers with secure algorithms and support for AccurateRip lookup. With CUETools, a lot of discs can be verified against AR regardless of the ripping program.  With a little ingenuity, discs with a 0th track pregap can be checked as well.

CTDB has to be greatest new feature to come along since AR, which is available for CUERipper and EAC. I'm sure someone will say if other programs support it besides those two.

Reply #8
and EZ CD Audio Converter (I haven't been around on this forum long enough to understand why people hate and never talk about this one).

I don't hate it
I love it and use it.
Recently I use also dbPower, but EZ CD audio is, for me, better.

Reply #10
Accuraterip.com no longer publicizes what went on, enough time has passed for it to be dropped, who knows he might have improved his ways now. In the above linked thread Mr Poiko says we did this to promote our own software, however at the time our action was prompted to protect CDEX and EAC, that is why you will not see EZ CD allowed to access Accuraterip.

Reply #11
Well, with regard to reliability, in my humble opinion: Exact Audio Copy, CueRipper and Foobar2000.
There was never any problems with them.
loquor mee menti: factus de materia, cinis elementi...

Reply #12
I'm sure someone will say if other programs support it besides those two.

In that -quite off topic- regard, and politely asking, is there any foobar2000 component for the CTDB or any plans to craft one?

And on topic, I agree with most suggestions here. EAC, dbpowerAMP, CUERipper and foobar. I made some decent lossy rips with iTunes as well, but being able to verify what you rip is of course quite desirable for peace of mind.

Reply #13
Recently I see new CDs more likely having a ctdb entry than an AR one, so I'd say the most popular secure rippers atm are cueripper and eac. Is there a ctdb plugin for any other program?

Reply #14
It can take up to 4 week for a new released CD to appear in AccurateRip, but this has nothing to do with popularity.

As all the main secure rippers access Accuraterip.com, it is possible to see which programs are looking up, over the last 6 months here is the disc lookup count:

EAC 9,820,918
dBpoweramp 8,740,919
Cuetools  2,757,404                (not specifically identified as a program, but stands out as unidentified, but other applications could be in this one also)
PerfectTunes 1,726,017            (not a ripper, but an AccurateRip checker)
XLD 960,000
Foobar2K 350,000

Total CD lookups for the 6 months was 30M CDs, or 5 million a month.

I would guess CDEx is ripping around 10M discs in that period

Reply #16
CDEX does not access AccurateRip, it is a pure guess based on popularity based on old freedb lookup stats, here is current Freedb stats:

http://www.freedb.org/en/statistics__client_requests.15.html

(one weeks worth)

ExactAudioCopy   209048
dBpowerAMP   192469
cdex   121596
CDDARipperXP   121302
Switch   96418
mzin_cddb   89846
foo_freedb2   89278
ALSONG_CDDB_DLL   84486
audiograbber   81274
Nero   81104
FreeRIP   75857
libcddb   73237
Mp3tag   63192
MfcCDDB   62930
libkcddb   55232
ExpressRip   52664
MediaMonkey   47612
ttplayer   41165

CDEx has dropped in popularity in the recent years.

Reply #17
I didn't initially think CDEx used AR but your comment about EZCDAC raised doubts.  Last time I looked at CDEx, maybe 8-10 years ago, I wasn't impressed. I don't recall reading anything about active development of the program in around that same amount of time.

So you think it's 10 million and not something significantly less, say in the thousands?

Reply #18
Given the new freedb stats it will be just over half EAC, so 5 to 6M CDs

Reply #20
It can take up to 4 week for a new released CD to appear in AccurateRip, but this has nothing to do with popularity.
Why is that? Also, most of those discs that appeared on CTDB first, stay AR-less when I go and check the files with CUETools.
Could it be it doesn't show up because it doesn't handle ARv2? Or does it?

Reply #21
Also, most of those discs that appeared on CTDB first, stay AR-less when I go and check the files with CUETools.

i must admit i thought CTDB wouldn't accept submissions without a positive AR match but i was please to discover you can get results right away with a new CD. obviously the people submitting the first couple of results won't get that.

cuetools 2.14/2.15 supports ARv2.

http://cuetools.net/wiki/CUETools_log#AccurateRip_Section

cuetools won't show the AR results until the AR database has been updated.

Reply #22
i must admit i thought CTDB wouldn't accept submissions without a positive AR match but i was please to discover you can get results right away with a new CD. obviously the people submitting the first couple of results won't get that.
Only CUETools needs an AR entry to submit a CTDB entry, that's because otherwise you could just modify your files and send a "new" entry to the DB. CUERipper automatically submits your rip without caring about AR from what I saw.

Reply #23
ARv2 look-up has been available since v2.1.2.

I doubt AR verification is necessary when submiting to CTDB when using the CTDB plugin with EAC.  I am certain CUERipper submits without AR verification.  AFAICT, it is only CUETools that cares about existing entries in AR; and for all I know this requirement could have been dropped, though I didn't see anything suggesting this in the changelog.

EDIT:
@ChronoSphere:
What is the "it" that I put in bold above?