Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DTS MA and DD TrueHD anyone? (Read 7479 times) previous topic - next topic

DTS MA and DD TrueHD anyone?

So now that those tracks are getting more common on BDR and HD DVD I was wondering if anyone did any comparison on them with our beloved free alternatives. I know the price of encoding suits those encoders ship with will make them implausible for most of our uses, but it would still be interesting to see how they compare to free alternatives.

Anyone got the means to do this?
The Plan Within Plans

Reply #1
They are both lossless so the sound should be exactly the same.

It's like FLAC vs. WavPack, they both sound the same.

Reply #2
They are both lossless so the sound should be exactly the same.

It's like FLAC vs. WavPack, they both sound the same.

Obviously the compression ratio and enc/decoding speed are the points of comparison, that's how all the other lossless codecs are compared to one another... I'm not sure why you brought up sound quality.

I'm particularly interested in how those two will fit into this table: http://www.synthetic-soul.co.uk/comparison/lossless/
The Plan Within Plans

Reply #3
I too would be interested where they fitted in with the top Lossless codecs. The only trouble would be doing a full comparison since there are no free/open source decoders for DTS-HD Master Audio (libdca only supports the main DTS core). There is, however, FFmpeg's libavcodec Dolby Digital TrueHD decoder which is meant to be work quite well.

Arite.

Reply #4
I have converted lots of those tracks (taken from blu-ray and hd dvd) to FLAC. Since they are both hybrid/lossy compression is not very good. I will post some results in this thread soon.

Reply #5
I have converted lots of those tracks (taken from blu-ray and hd dvd) to FLAC. Since they are both hybrid/lossy compression is not very good. I will post some results in this thread soon.

They're lossless aren't they?

Reply #6
They're lossless aren't they?

DTS HD Master Audio contains a normal lossy DTS core plus lossless data.
TrueHD contains a normal lossy DD core plus lossless data.

Here are a few results:

From Hell (2001) - Blu-ray
DTS Master Audio, 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 48khz
3.707.823.188 bytes

FLAC (-8)
3.195.092.517 bytes

PCM
6.335.142.912 bytes

Spider-Man (2002) - Blu-ray
TrueHD, 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 48khz
1.556.546.110 bytes

FLAC (-8)