Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Winamp FhG AAC encoder with gapless fix (Read 118177 times) previous topic - next topic

Winamp FhG AAC encoder with gapless fix

Reply #25
Depends on what you call "transparent".
The encoder is indeed very efficient and every detail is clear at the highest VBR mode, but the sound is still kinda "compact" and a bit unnatural compared to the lossless files.

Transparent here means indistinguishable from the original audio, i.e. failing a blind ABX test. Please provide a sample whose VBR 5 encoding sounds different to you, so I can try it myself. And if you haven't done so, please familiarize yourself with the ABX testing concept and the Terms of Services of this forum.

Chris

Igor, yes, I tried to reduce bit-rate variance a bit, as noted in a related thread (http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=766941)
If I don't reply to your reply, it means I agree with you.

Reply #26
I have tried to get Winamp 5.562 standard, but I have legal problem with installation, probably its wrong build or beta release or wrong setup file :

setup inclides LGPL binaries libsndfile.dll and enc_lame.dll , but after installation I cannot find copy of LGPL license as text file (and information about where I can find source or patches for used lgpl libraries)

I was able successfuly download and install Winamp 5.562 lite version - looks like this file is legal (it didn't have LGPL parts, so it didn't have to ship copy of LGPL license text), but this edition didn't have FhG codec

please, add FhG codec dll as attach to this thread, so I can get this file from legal source

thanks

Reply #27
can anybody help with the new .dll?

please, add FhG codec dll as attach to this thread, so I can get this file from legal source

1. Download latest standard version (http://download.nullsoft.com/winamp/client/winamp5622_full_emusic-7plus_all.exe )
2. Extract downloaded installer with 7-Zip (NSIS installer)
3. encoder is in Plugins directory

Reply #28
I have tried to get Winamp 5.562 standard, but I have legal problem with installation, probably its wrong build or beta release or wrong setup file
[...]

Even Winamp 5.562 lite (and enc_fhgaac itself!) uses libmp4v2.dll (Mozilla Public License):

3.6. Distribution of Executable Versions.
    You may distribute Covered Code in Executable form only if the
    requirements of Section 3.1-3.5 have been met for that Covered Code,
    and if You include a notice stating that the Source Code version of
    the Covered Code is available under the terms of this License,
    including a description of how and where You have fulfilled the
    obligations of Section 3.2.

So it seems that you'll have legal problems anyway 

Reply #29
@Thundik81 thanks a lot...
_

Reply #30
Just curious, any chance to use this excellent codec with foobar or from command line? (without Winamp). I like this FhG thingy but dont want install Winamp just because of it.

Reply #31
easy, someone can reverse engineer it, though fraunhofer and this forum frowns upon that.
egad! 

Reply #32
Just curious, any chance to use this excellent codec with foobar or from command line? (without Winamp). I like this FhG thingy but dont want install Winamp just because of it.
You mean like THIS (thanks to nao for creating it)
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #33
Thanks so much.

Reply #35
why yes it does work with foobar

Reply #36
since i can't edit my previous post

Code: [Select]
--vbr 5 --ignorelength - %d

Reply #37
Hi,
I found channel mapping is incorrect for 4ch case.
From what I can see, resulting 4ch AAC has default channel layout in ISO spec (C L R Cs).
However, it seems L is mapped to C, R is mapped to L, and C is mapped to R.
(I don't know if it's winamp side or Fhg side problem).

Reply #38

These parameters aren't working for me in Foobar. I'm getting " Conversion failed: The encoder has terminated prematurely with code 0 (0x00000000); please re-check parameters". Am I overlooking something obvious?

Reply #39
Hi,
I found channel mapping is incorrect for 4ch case.
From what I can see, resulting 4ch AAC has default channel layout in ISO spec (C L R Cs).
However, it seems L is mapped to C, R is mapped to L, and C is mapped to R.
(I don't know if it's winamp side or Fhg side problem).

It's a Winamp problem.  There's not really good support at the moment for surround encoding.  It's pending some API changes to make it work effectively.

Reply #40
It's a Winamp problem.  There's not really good support at the moment for surround encoding.  It's pending some API changes to make it work effectively.

Thanks. I noticed there's no way to specify channel layout in current Winamp plugin API;
Though 5ch, 5.1ch, and 7.1ch seemed to be fine.

Reply #41

These parameters aren't working for me in Foobar. I'm getting " Conversion failed: The encoder has terminated prematurely with code 0 (0x00000000); please re-check parameters". Am I overlooking something obvious?

are these files all in the the same folder?
enc_fhgaac.dll
fhgaacenc.exe
libmp4v2.dll
libsndfile.dll
nsutil.dll
you'll find these in the winamp install folder

Reply #42
I've done a little ABX test with a trance track, using the FhG encoder. The results are not perfect but i think it's at least excluded that I was totally guessing all the time. Test log and a sample are included in the attachement...

Reply #43
Thanks a lot for testing, Gainless! Unfortunately I can't hear any artifacts on this item myself. Which kind of artifact(s) did you hear, and in which passage? And I assume you used the latest Winamp version?

Chris
If I don't reply to your reply, it means I agree with you.

Reply #44
For those who like numbers, I have quick dirty test results:
fhg aac 3.2.3      --vbr 4   115s   10.10%
fhg aac 3.2.3      --vbr 5  125s  15.60%
helix mp3 5.1      -V120      29s  13.68%
lame 3.98.4*      -V3      140s  13.22%
lame 3.99.1        -V3      160s  13.07%
musepack 1.30      -q5      114s  12.09%
musepack 1.16      -q5      114s  12.42%
neroaac 1.0.7.0    -q0.5    190s  12.18%
neroaac 1.5.4.0    -q0.5    146s  12.63%
ogg 2.83 lancer    -q5        78s  12.10%
ogg 2.87 lancermod -q5      106s  12.01%

*iccpatch applied (test system: Athlon 64 2.0GHz, 2GB DDR, WinXp SP3)
Comments:
- I saw 96kbps test and was intrigued by Fhg AAC as I never dealt with before (although my test is in the safe/transparent range);
- I used nao's so I could bench on commandline with all codecs (enc_fhgaac.dll from Winamp 5.622 package)
- Couldn't get Fhg AAC into close range with other codecs, quite a jump between --vbr 4 and --vbr 5, and decimal values ignored
"Something bothering you, Mister Spock?"

Reply #45
@C.R.Helmrich do you have any plans for increasing the encoding speed?

looking at this http://nyaochi.sakura.ne.jp/encoder-benchm...t-20061103.html

i can see that another fraunhofer tool (the mp3 encoder) is king of the speed...

so you have a very high standard for encoding speed to keep!
_

Reply #46
Thanks a lot for testing, Gainless! Unfortunately I can't hear any artifacts on this item myself. Which kind of artifact(s) did you hear, and in which passage? And I assume you used the latest Winamp version?

Chris

I also don't hear any obvious artifacts, the aac just sounds a bit different to the wav, that's all. I guess I had some kind of "lucky" day when I made the abx test in my previous post, because most of the time I don't get any good results (< 6-10%)...

Reply #47
If You don't listen the artifacts then it can be simply differences in the volume or time shifting.
It will be more safe to apply time shifting and gain to ABX sessions.  Page 11 of http://www.rarewares.org/rja/ListeningTest.pdf

Reply #49
Foobar's ABX logs don't provide the information about DSP (Replaygain, etc.).
Your sample is ok.  FhG LC-AAC doesn't put additional frames (delay) and volume is practically the same.