Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WMPTSE (Read 309771 times) previous topic - next topic

WMPTSE

Reply #325
oh and btw:

OH, and trying to tag flac files isn't working

WMPTSE

Reply #326
If ARTIST populates "Artist" (Author), and if ALBUMARTIST (or ALBUM ARTIST in some camps) populates "Album Artist" (WM/AlbumArtist) if it exists... that would be the most logical conversion.

And, as mentioned earlier... if ALBUMARTIST (or ALBUM ARTIST) does not exist... WM/AlbumArtist should be populated with what ARTIST has for maximum compatibility.  (WM/AlbumArtist especially needs to be there for Windows Media Center customers... without it, it's a total mess.)

Any other feedback, folks?

Agreed... since the Vorbis comment recommendations suggest ARTIST (not ALBUMARTIST) and Tag.exe writes ARTIST, WM/AlbumArtist needs to fail over to ARTIST if there is no ALBUMARTIST field (since there usually won't be!). As mentioned, WM/AlbumArtist is critical for Media Center, and that's what a lot of us are using WMPTSE for.

DATE should be quickly checked, and it it contains 4 digits and 4 digits only, should be read as the year field. This is again both the Vorbis comment standard, and Tag.exe's default. I expect very few DATE fields actually contain anything other than the year, but the check should still be done. I'm not sure there is any need to fail over to YEAR if DATE isn't found (Off hand I don't know anything that reads/writes an actual YEAR tag), but there probably isn't any harm, either.

I know this is a bit of a pain, but that's what happens when tag standards aren't specific! Oh, and please set these for both the Vorbis and FLAC plugins! Thanks for your help!

WMPTSE

Reply #327

If ARTIST populates "Artist" (Author), and if ALBUMARTIST (or ALBUM ARTIST in some camps) populates "Album Artist" (WM/AlbumArtist) if it exists... that would be the most logical conversion.

And, as mentioned earlier... if ALBUMARTIST (or ALBUM ARTIST) does not exist... WM/AlbumArtist should be populated with what ARTIST has for maximum compatibility.  (WM/AlbumArtist especially needs to be there for Windows Media Center customers... without it, it's a total mess.)

Any other feedback, folks?

Agreed... since the Vorbis comment recommendations suggest ARTIST (not ALBUMARTIST) and Tag.exe writes ARTIST, WM/AlbumArtist needs to fail over to ARTIST if there is no ALBUMARTIST field (since there usually won't be!). As mentioned, WM/AlbumArtist is critical for Media Center, and that's what a lot of us are using WMPTSE for.

DATE should be quickly checked, and it it contains 4 digits and 4 digits only, should be read as the year field. This is again both the Vorbis comment standard, and Tag.exe's default. I expect very few DATE fields actually contain anything other than the year, but the check should still be done. I'm not sure there is any need to fail over to YEAR if DATE isn't found (Off hand I don't know anything that reads/writes an actual YEAR tag), but there probably isn't any harm, either.

I know this is a bit of a pain, but that's what happens when tag standards aren't specific! Oh, and please set these for both the Vorbis and FLAC plugins! Thanks for your help!

Ok, it will be done as concluded...

The "if there's no AlbumArtist, take Author" feature will be implemented for ALL tag types (including MPEG and such). It will be a new WMPTSE feature (opposed to a FLAC Tag support and Vorbis Tag support feature).

On a different note, a precious user made me discover a well hidden feature i've search since the start of WMPTSE developpement : the MTP compatibility tag...
It should allow MTP devices to synchonize fully with every filetype they can...

For those (like me), who can't wait for this feature, just add a FormatCode registry entry with the right value in :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Extensions\.<MyExtension>

For ogg, it will be HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Extensions\.ogg
And the FormatCode value should be : dword:0000b902

I'm searching for other FileType FormatCode value right now...

It will be added to v 1.2 release...

MaB_fr

WMPTSE

Reply #328
Currently, is there any way to get Date or Year tags working with flac?

WMPTSE

Reply #330

Currently, is there any way to get Date or Year tags working with flac?

Hum...just be patient...

I'm working on it right now.

For the MTP formatcode you can enjoy the MS doc here : http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default...._formatcode.asp

1.2 coming soon...

MaB_fr

Great.  Just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something in quickly reading over the thread.

WMPTSE

Reply #331
Great.  Just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something in quickly reading over the thread.

Except for long boring history of the WMPTSE's development, i think you didn't

Users, enjoy WMPTSE 1.2 !

Website
Direct Download

If there's any problem, please report here

MaB_fr

P.S. : sourcecode will arrive soon

WMPTSE

Reply #332
NICE 1 mab, i love you

any possibility for .mkv support?

WMPTSE

Reply #333
You're awsome, thanks! Haven't had a chance to try it yet though.

WMPTSE

Reply #334
You're awsome, thanks! Haven't had a chance to try it yet though.

Hum, i would say, thank you for the confidence

NICE 1 mab, i love you

any possibility for .mkv support?

Do not love me, prefer to challenge me.

For the matroska support, i've done no research on it...
So i'll see what can be done, and keep you informed...

Merry christmas !!
(i'm an early adopter  )

MaB_fr

WMPTSE

Reply #335
Hey

Just wondering how everything is going. What would be great is tighter integration, or features to be filled.

For instance, currently time shows 0 minutes when it tries to detect playtime. Making this work would mean more of a deeply imbedded feel....etc.

great job on getting year fix though....nice job mab

WMPTSE

Reply #336
Hey

Just wondering how everything is going. What would be great is tighter integration, or features to be filled.

For instance, currently time shows 0 minutes when it tries to detect playtime. Making this work would mean more of a deeply imbedded feel....etc.

great job on getting year fix though....nice job mab

I believe that is the job of the directshow filter, not WMPTSE.

WMPTSE

Reply #337

My FLAC music files encoded with dBpowerAMP CD Ripper 12beta appear to contain the tag "LENGTH" which is in microseconds.  The length of MP3, WMA & FLAC files are shown by Windows Explorer (the file viewer, not the web browser) when you select the "Details" view, and I doubt that it is actually running each and every file through a decoder every time I open a folder.

Mind you, I'm new to this.  But I think the song length is a data field added to the file when encoded, and does not require the song be decoded to determine it.

Is the length not stored as metadata?

Great tool, btw.  I'm trying to rip my collection of cds to FLAC with AccurateRip & calculating ReplayGain values, but I also want to be able to see them from within Windows MCE. I can't believe no one has come up with a better music player / interface for use with MCE.   

- Anthony

WMPTSE

Reply #338

My FLAC music files encoded with dBpowerAMP CD Ripper 12beta appear to contain the tag "LENGTH" which is in microseconds.  The length of MP3, WMA & FLAC files are shown by Windows Explorer (the file viewer, not the web browser) when you select the "Details" view, and I doubt that it is actually running each and every file through a decoder every time I open a folder.

Mind you, I'm new to this.  But I think the song length is a data field added to the file when encoded, and does not require the song be decoded to determine it.

Great tool, btw.  I'm trying to rip my collection of cds to FLAC with AccurateRip & calculating ReplayGain values, but I also want to be able to see them from within Windows MCE. I can't believe no one has come up with a better music player / interface for use with MCE.   

- Anthony

Nope, Vorbis/FLAC comments do not contain the track length. That information is contained in the bitstream, and anyway; I'm not sure even if it was stored as metadata that WMPTSE could affect anything (its a tag parser, and like I said, has no control over directshow's domain).

WMPTSE

Reply #339

- Anthony

Nope, Vorbis/FLAC comments do not contain the track length. That information is contained in the bitstream, and anyway; I'm not sure even if it was stored as metadata that WMPTSE could affect anything (its a tag parser, and like I said, has no control over directshow's domain).

As jebus supposed, the length data is a READ-ONLY information for plug-in. (at least in WMP9+10, i've not verified in WMP11).

!!! AGAIN :
It should be serve by the directshow codec to WMP. If it's not, it is a bug !!! Report to the codec developper.

For the "explorer does it" part, there's no link between WMP and explorer, so what was your argument ?
Microsoft is pushing for MP3/WMA integration in Windows...that's all...The Windows Explorer plug-in might decode just the necessary byte to get the size and go home. For WMA encrypted content, i guess it has to do some non-trivial job before displaying it, public key storage cache might help then...anyway.

Back to WMPTSE, last and for once :
WMPTSE handles METATAG.

<discursion>
In a totally philosophical perspective, length is a self-contained information. You can obtain it without having it first [just play the file and count].
So it is not "meta" information. It is not an information about the data.
I think it is better not to add it in the METATAGS.
The roles between DScodec and WMP are not always clear and accurate. But i think they are on this point.
</discursion>

MaB_fr

WMPTSE

Reply #340

in FLAC, the first metadata block (STREAMINFO) has the sample rate and usually the total number of samples in the stream, always at the same offest in the file, so you can calculate length easily.

Josh

WMPTSE

Reply #341
Excuse me for being off-topic but i'm looking for a Windows Media Player 11 plug-in (visualization) which could display full or partial id3 information in the Now Playing window.
The only plug-in i found that is capable of this feature is Adhit PG-VTAG which  crashes WMP11 often and it's shareware ($20!!!).
Would it be hard to create a plug-in like this?

WMPTSE

Reply #342
Excuse me for being off-topic but i'm looking for a Windows Media Player 11 plug-in (visualization) which could display full or partial id3 information in the Now Playing window.
The only plug-in i found that is capable of this feature is Adhit PG-VTAG which  crashes WMP11 often and it's shareware ($20!!!).
Would it be hard to create a plug-in like this?

Yes, it is off-topic...

And no, it wouldn't be hard...

It depends of what you call "full or partial id3 information"...

The only problem i see is : who will do it, 'cause i won't

MaB_fr

WMPTSE

Reply #343
It should be serve by the directshow codec to WMP. If it's not, it is a bug !!! Report to the codec developper.

I will.

WMPTSE handles METATAG.

Sorry, I thought it allowed me to integrate my FLAC files into WMP.  I wasn't aware that WMP only requests this from the Direct Show plug-in.

My POINT was that I see LENGTH in id-tag plug-ins elsewhere, integrated into explorer details, in the file property pages, in other players.  The only place I don't see it is in WMP, and I didn't know it was special, not a tag.  I thought your app would solve these problems with WMP, and now I see that I still cannot use FLAC files.

Your application is still a fine piece of work.

- Anthony

WMPTSE

Reply #344

Partial id3 information means what WMP10 and earlier versions showed in the Now Playing window (without plugin):
Artist
Title (but it's really too slight information)

In WMP11 they removed it, i don't know why... but it's really silly because there's no good feedback what you're listening to:
There is stripped down information in the bottom left corner of the window which shows artist/album/title  if your window is not smaller than a specified width, and there is the List Pane which shows title/artist but i think it's not enough.

Full information might mean title+album+artist+genre+year+track+bitrate+comment+albumart... etc. More or less.

I think i didn't mention you should make it. I would do it if i could but in the end i'll use the list pane and just forget about the other tags. Thanks.

WMPTSE

Reply #345

Partial id3 information means what WMP10 and earlier versions showed in the Now Playing window (without plugin):
Artist
Title

In WMP11 they removed it, i don't know why...

Full information might mean title+album+artist+genre+year+track+bitrate+comment+albumart... etc. More or less.

I think i didn't mention you should make it. I would do it if i could.

Just Get an IDE for C/C++, download Windows Media Player SDK and your good to go.

If you have MSVisual Studio, you'll get a Windows Media Player Plug-in Wizard in bonus inside the SDK with a nice "Now Playing plug-in" checkbox to play with.

Add MSDN, and it's easy as 1-2-3.

It's just a bunch of COM interface to respond to.
For C programmer, it is just a Win32 DLL with a call to IWMPlayer->vtable->GetInterface and such...(a bit more difficule in pure Win32 C, but doable)

MaB_fr

WMPTSE

Reply #349
MaB_fr,

I can't get 1.2.0 or 1.1.1 to work on WMP 11 on XP Pro SP2 with Illuminable filter (unstable version).  Adding the Flac DLL manually gives the error above.  There's a thread on soundforge discussing this https://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thr...forum_id=504707

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Fairy

I've responded on sourceforce (please don't multi post everywhere...as i'll surelly going mad).

But I'm curious : has anyone else endure the same behaviour ?

MaB_fr