Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is it possible to use Winamp's AAC encoder without Winamp? (Read 2903 times) previous topic - next topic

Is it possible to use Winamp's AAC encoder without Winamp?

I want to encode music with AAC encoder.

I read somewhere that Winamp's Fraunhofer "FhG" AAC encoder is optimized for music, while FDK AAC encoder is not.

Is there a way to use Winamp's "FhG" AAC encoder without installing winamp?

Is exhale encoder optimized for encoding music?

Re: Is it possible to use Winamp's AAC encoder without Winamp?

Reply #1
Where did you read that? There are codecs that are optimized for speech, but I haven't heard of aac codec that is not optimized for music. Anyway, it can be done, here is all relevant info.
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #3
...and you obviously didn't click Read More.

Reply #4
You could use 7-zip to extract the 'required DLLs' from the installer.
This would allow you to skip the '1. Install WinAmp' step.
korth

Reply #5
FhG AAC was written for desktop use in mind, while FDK AAC was written for mobile use in mind.  For music, using LC-AAC at bitrates above 96Kbps would be best for audio quality and compatibility for hardware music players.

I believe exhale is targeted for streaming at bitrates below 96Kbps, and better suited for speech/podcasts. 

Reply #6
You could use 7-zip to extract the 'required DLLs' from the installer.
This would allow you to skip the '1. Install WinAmp' step.

I've downloaded installer today, and there is no enc_fhgaac.dlls to extract. I've even installed Winamp, no dll.

Reply #7
It is in v5.66 (and older).
korth

Reply #8
It is in v5.66 (and older).

I've found it in 5.7, too. But not anything newer.

Reply #9
The changelog jumps from 5.66 to 5.8 so I didn't search for 5.7.
"Pro" licensed functions were removed in 5.8.
korth

Reply #10
FhG AAC was written for desktop use in mind, while FDK AAC was written for mobile use in mind.  For music, using LC-AAC at bitrates above 96Kbps would be best for audio quality and compatibility for hardware music players.

I believe exhale is targeted for streaming at bitrates below 96Kbps, and better suited for speech/podcasts. 

I wonder why are you suggesting these 96kbps bitrates at all? Who uses 96kbps unless they're watching a tiktok or facebook video?

96kbps for music in 2023?!

even MP3s were 128kbps back in 2007, so 96?...

at least use 256kbps people, and minimum 160 or 192 if you're really short for space... like using a phone with 4gb storage or something... if not use proper 256kbps or 320kbps vbr files and be happy.

plus, to the op, unless you really have a requirement for specific winamp encoded files, I'd rather suggest you to install iTunes and then use QAAC to make your AAC files, it is simply the best.

Reply #11

I wonder why are you suggesting these 96kbps bitrates at all? Who uses 96kbps unless they're watching a tiktok or facebook video?

96kbps for music in 2023?!

even MP3s were 128kbps back in 2007, so 96?...

at least use 256kbps people, and minimum 160 or 192 if you're really short for space... like using a phone with 4gb storage or something... if not use proper 256kbps or 320kbps vbr files and be happy.

plus, to the op, unless you really have a requirement for specific winamp encoded files, I'd rather suggest you to install iTunes and then use QAAC to make your AAC files, it is simply the best.

I don't personally use those bitrates.  All of files for my phone/car are encoded with the highest vbr option for AAC.

The 96Kbps I've seen commonly suggested from others.

Back in 2007, a 128Kbps mp3 was borderline awful.  No one would want to use a lesser bitrate.

Reply #12
Is there a way to use Winamp's "FhG" AAC encoder without installing winamp?

Yeah, if you don't mind using Foobar2000 to do it.

there is pretty much three files... enc_fhgaac.dll/libmp4v2.dll/nsutil.dll ; but the nsutil.dll seems to be already there for Foobar2000 usage, so you pretty much just need the other two.

if you are still interested let me know ;)

p.s. there is a command line option to https://github.com/tmkk/fhgaacenc/ ; link under the 'About' section. but using Foobar2000 is easier.
For music I suggest (using Foobar2000)... MP3 (LAME) @ V5 (130kbps). NOTE: using on AGPTEK-U3 as of Mar 18th 2021. I use 'fatsort' (on Linux) so MP3's are listed in proper order on AGPTEK-U3.