Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: can i convert dsd to wav? (Read 1435 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: can i convert dsd to wav?

Reply #1
Don't use this very much, but just checked and my settings below work fine:

Reply #2
Consider a lossy codec instead of WAVE - since DSD to WAVE (or the other way around) is always going to be lossy, then one of the reasons to go "lossless" is moot already.

Keep the DSD file, of course. (Or WavPack it, that is lossless. You need to use the WavPack executable though, and it won't handle DST-compressed files.)

Reply #3
Apesbrain,
thank you very much, now it works for me too.  ;)

Reply #4
Consider a lossy codec instead of WAVE - since DSD to WAVE (or the other way around) is always going to be lossy, then one of the reasons to go "lossless" is moot already.

Keep the DSD file, of course. (Or WavPack it, that is lossless. You need to use the WavPack executable though, and it won't handle DST-compressed files.)
Hi Porcus.
I'm not sure I understand what you said.
you say that from DSd s wavpack there are no losses?
i believed that wavpack contains wav and essentially they are the same.
just for clarity, i convert dsd to wav to burn a cd-r and hear the quality of the recording.

Reply #5
If you want to burn a CD-R, then conversion to WAVE is indeed what you want.

As for WavPack: WavPack has been a WAVE file compressor all the time, yes - but starting from WavPack 5, it can also losslessly compress DSD. Which is a good thing, because WavPack tags seem to be better supported than ID3 in DSF or DFF - and you also save space.
Drag and drop your DSF or DFF file onto wavpack.exe and see what happens.
(Using the command line with -h, you can get better compression.)

Reply #6
Hi,
I have another problem with a different file,
this is a dts64 format, the conversion shortens the duration of the file.
I see that when converting each track the speed is 17x and then it increases to 200x, then it goes back to 17x (it's the start of a new track) and it increases back to 200x.
for example a 339 second track is returned / converted to a 26 second wav, the file can be listened to and does not show any defects apart from the fact that the melody skips ..

Reply #7
You can't convert to DSD WavPack with foobar2000, you need to convert DSF files to WavPack using the command line tool directly. Also, if there is DST compression, it must be decompressed first.

Reply #8
Eight years ago you posted this about how DST would fail real-time playback, but maybe it can be done with newer hardware?

(Also that link is gone ...)

By the way, @Valter
If the SACD image is all you have, then of course you want to play it - but if you have alternative formats available for purchase, DSD is not the most sane one. One thing is, it makes trouble at track transitions. Also, DSD is "never the original format": studio processing is done to a PCM file, and then it is only converted to DSD at the end. If you look at e.g. http://www.2l.no/hires/ you see that all are sourced from PCM: "DXD" has nothing to do with DSD, it is PCM at 352/24. That is, the leftmost column had they all been stereo. 
Now if you look at the DXD-sourced stereo-only recording (Finzi: Come Away, Death), the DXD says 442 MB because it is uncompressed .wav; the DSD is about the size of the 192/24. WavPack'ing the DSD brings it down to 69 MB, which still is more than the 96/24 FLAC, which in turn is overkill as well.
Edit: you will also see that the DSD differs slightly in length. Whether that is "trouble at track transitions" or that they have actually taken measures to get track transitions seamless, I have no idea.

Reply #9
thank you all for the answers,
I need to study and take a look at all the variables.
I'm preparing some documentation with screenshot examples and detailed description of what worked well and the iso file from which the conversion creates shortened files.