Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DSD1024 Unrecoverable playback error (Read 1561 times) previous topic - next topic

DSD1024 Unrecoverable playback error

I have recently install foo_input_sacd_1.4.8 plugin and trying to upsample my 44.1khz pcm playback to DSD1024 but with no success. Does foobar really support DSD1024? Do enlighten what I could have missed out?

Preference > Tools > DSD Processor > Enable Use DSD processor with
Input (44100)
Output (DSD1024) SDM-D

When I start the playback, I got this prompted:

Unrecoverable playback error: Could not set sample rate to 2822400 Hz

The same setting is playing fine for DSD512 and below.
Did anyone successful with DSD1024 with any other setting on foobar?

Re: DSD1024 Unrecoverable playback error

Reply #1
I'm having the same trouble. I'm using the Denafrips Ares II DAC with the Thesycon v5.30.0.exe USB driver, latest USB MCU v3.12.0.zip firmware and I am using foobar2000_v1.6.11.exe, foo_out_asio.fb2k-component, foo_input_sacd-1.4.10.zip (foo_input_sacd.fb2k-component + foo_dsd_processor.fb2k-component). I'm using ASIO device for output. Same as you, DSD512 native working fine, but DSD1024 results in "Unrecoverable playback error: Could not set sample rate to 2822400 Hz" message.

Reply #2
@ Bdimasi
You need "ASIO+DSD support (foo_out_asio+dsd.dll)".
"foo_out_asio" "foo_dsd_processor" does not.

Super Audio CD Decoder 1.4.x (foo_input_sacd.dll)
ASIO+DSD support (foo_out_asio+dsd.dll)
https://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/files/foo_out_asio+dsd/

・Preferrences > Tools > SACD > DSD > Output (per device) > Type > DSD or DSD+PCM
・Output: ASIO+DSD: DSD DAC ASIO Driver
・Not DSPs
-----------
[Play True Native DSD DAC] (I'm using)
・iFi nano iDSD HD / iFi ZEN DAC DSD
・FiiO USB DAC K1 / FiiO Q1
・FOSTEX USB Audio HP-A4 / FOSTEX USB Audio HP-4BL
・KORG DS-DAC-10
・DENON DA-310USB / DENON PMA-60
・RAL-DSDHA5
・TEAC AI-301DA
・NuPrime uDSD Audio
・Audinst HUD-DX1
・Pioneer USB D/A U-05
SHURE SRH1840, SENNHEISER HD660S2, SENNHEISER HD 490 PRO, DT 1990 PRO, HiFiMAN Edition XS, Bowers & Wilkins P7, FiiO FT5, 水月雨 (MOONDROP) 空鳴 - VOID, Nakamichi Elite FIVE ANC, Bose QuietComfort 45 (made a Upgrade/Balanced Cable by myself)

Reply #3
I managed to play the DSD1024 upsample from Foobar, but my DAC is indicating the sample rate is DSD64. Not sure why. I've attached some screenshots. Any ideas? I'm going to try JRiver and Audirvana to see if it's Foobar or a DAC related driver/setting.

Reply #4
Have you tried the settings I have shown?
This is the basic setting (Play True Native DSD).
SHURE SRH1840, SENNHEISER HD660S2, SENNHEISER HD 490 PRO, DT 1990 PRO, HiFiMAN Edition XS, Bowers & Wilkins P7, FiiO FT5, 水月雨 (MOONDROP) 空鳴 - VOID, Nakamichi Elite FIVE ANC, Bose QuietComfort 45 (made a Upgrade/Balanced Cable by myself)

Reply #5
I've attached some screenshots with my Foobar config. I've got the SACD Type set to DSD. Is this what you mean by "Play True Native DSD"? I've got "DoP for Converter" unticked, as I understand this means to send the DSD data in a PCM package, for some DACs that support DoP but not native DSD. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Reply #6
> Does foobar really support DSD1024?

I'm sorry, I misunderstood.
There is no description in readme.txt.
Please here.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/support

Reply #7
I think it could be the DAC driver, and perhaps not Foobar related. I installed Audirvana, and with the ASIO driver, it shows the DAC can do up to DSD512, even though the DAC website claims it can do DSD1024 (https://www.denafrips.com/ares + https://www.denafrips.com/specs-ares). Also, PCM 1536 is greyed out, even though the DAC specs say it can do it. On the Ares II specs site, it says "NOTE* USB Firmware V3.4.1 - PCM1536 / DSD1024 supports disabled for compatibility with macOS". I updated the USB firmware on my DAC to the latest version, which is v3.12, and that particular version on the website (https://www.denafrips.com/firmware-update-usb) says "Supports PCM1536 / DSD1024" as part of the firmware release. Perhaps the firmware didn't quite achieve that claim, and perhaps when the DAC receives DSD1024 it reports DSD64 instead, and it could well be a bug in the USB firmware/driver, and completely unrelated to Foobar?? I'll keep investigating and perhaps I'll reach out to Denafrips support too.

Reply #8
>  I'll keep investigating and perhaps I'll reach out to Denafrips support too.
I think that's the best idea. :)