Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is Sound Juicer with CDParanoia mode 255 secure? (Read 3906 times) previous topic - next topic

Is Sound Juicer with CDParanoia mode 255 secure?

Hi,
Is Sound Juicer configured (with gconf-editor) to cdparanoia mode 255 considered secure?
Will it be a useful alternative to EAC for lossless rips?

Looking forward to hear some opinions on this.

Reply #1
I haven't ever heard of Sound Juicer, let alone used it in the past.  So I did a little reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_Juicer

So Sound Juicer is the Gnome ripping utility.  I've only really used command-line BSD or Kubuntu, which explains why I hadn't encountered it. 

Anyways,  if the Wiki article is correct Sound Juicer is a front end for cdparanoia.  I would imagine that it is as accurate as the version of cdparanoia that it uses.

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Cdparanoia

Reply #2
cdparanoia does not seem to handle drives that cache audio data well. For this reason, in linux we do not have the "security" that can be achieved with the Windows tools, in particular EAC and db Poweramp. cdparanoia development seems to have picked up again, so that may change.

Then there is another limitation. cdparanoia indicates the quality and problems with "smileys". You do not see any of this output with soundjuicer and many other linux cd ripping tools. If there is a minor glitch that cdparanoia detected, you won't know from soundjuicer. As far as I am aware, the command line version does not support creating a file log. You therefore have to remember examining the output carefully after each rip to learn only very approximately if and where ripping was not OK.

In summary: audio ripping in Linux leaves a lot to be desired. If cdparanoia continues, at least we will soon have a good ripping engine again.

Reply #3
cdparanoia does not seem to handle drives that cache audio data well. For this reason, in linux we do not have the "security" that can be achieved with the Windows tools, in particular EAC and db Poweramp. cdparanoia development seems to have picked up again, so that may change.

The new cdparanoia libary has a new cache detection option. I don't know if that still handles the caching issue, but it's definitely a step in the right direction 
budding I.T professional