Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: non-distructive mp3 edit software (Read 48761 times) previous topic - next topic

non-distructive mp3 edit software

I am not finding mp3direct software very easy to use for non-destructive mp3 editing.  I am used to Adobe Audition aka Cool Edit in how easy it is to navigate and chop up files.

Is there any other software that can work with mp3 files to chop and adjust volume without reencoding them after saving?

Rick

Reply #1
win32:
MP3DirectCut
musiCutter
MP3Trim
*nix:
cutmp3
other/x-platform:
pcutmp3
mpgedit
PyMP3Cut (Python)

I'm sure there are more, but these seem to be the most popular ones.
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #2
Will those programs allow you to increase the volume without re-encoding?  I know you can cut an mp3 up without a re-encode, but increasing the volume doesn't seem like something you can do without a re-encode.

Reply #3
MP3DirectCut and MP3Trim can. Not sure about the others.
AFAIK they do it by modifying the global gain field of each MP3 frame.
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #4
win32:
MP3DirectCut
musiCutter
MP3Trim
*nix:
cutmp3
other/x-platform:
mpgedit
PyMP3Cut (Python)

I'm sure there are more, but these seem to be the most popular ones.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=259678"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Wow these are so crude.  mp3directcut at least has a visual representation of the audio but I just cannot get the hang of marking my selections.

Reply #5
Will those programs allow you to increase the volume without re-encoding?  I know you can cut an mp3 up without a re-encode, but increasing the volume doesn't seem like something you can do without a re-encode.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=259679"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

MP3Gain will let you do that.

Reply #6
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

MP3Gain will let you do that.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=259714"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don't forget [a href="http://mp3splt.sourceforge.net/]mp3splt[/url].  Granted it's a commandline app, but I've found it to be excellent with splitting up long mp3 and ogg mixes.  It can't adjust the volume though.  It's supported on most operating systems too.

Reply #8
thank you gentleman.

for anyone else coming across this thread mp3trim was fine for my simples need and free too. which is nice...

cheers.

Reply #9
does you know any software that can remove pops/clicks (and make any other fixes)  without destroying mp3's?

Reply #10
does you know any software that can remove pops/clicks (and make any other fixes)  without destroying mp3's?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=309001"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Such an app doesn't exist.

Reply #11
It's in fact impossible. You can't remove the eggs from a cake once it's been baked.

Reply #12
Be careful with using mp3trim on gapless tracks which were encoded with lame - unless it was changed recently, you may loose the info which is used by decoders like the one in fb2k to playback files gaplessly. So, mass-trimming your entire music-collection is *not* a good idea.

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #13
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=309001"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nero Wave Editor (Can edit mp3s) for Nero 6 has this facility
(Menu->Enhancement->Declicker)

But not sure about destroying mp3 thing. (Don't understand what u meant)
If u talk about re-enoding then yes it has to reencode after the editing is complete.

Reply #14
Nero Wave Editor (Can edit mp3s) for Nero 6 has this facility
(Menu->Enhancement->Declicker)

But not sure about destroying mp3 thing. (Don't understand what u meant)
If u talk about re-enoding then yes it has to reencode after the editing is complete.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=310128"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Then it's destructive. 
If a wav file say is encoded to mp3, then data has been lost to produce that mp3, hence the term "lossy".  If that mp3 is decoded to wav again for editing and then re-encoded BACK to mp3 after editing has been completed, the quality of the resulting mp3 file is worse than in it's previous mp3 form: wav -> mp3 -> wav -> mp3 = not good.

Reply #15
with GoldWave you can save back in the original format

Reply #16
with GoldWave you can save back in the original format
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes but what format do you edit the files in?  I've not heard, and indeed cannot find any evidence on their site, that GoldWave can edit mp3s without having to decode them to another format first and then when you've finished encode them back to mp3 (correct me if I'm wrong).

They also seem to have problems with VBR files: see [a href="http://www.goldwave.ca/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1887#1887]here[/url].

Reply #17
Does any of those splitters maintains the LAME tag on the files, keeping the relevant data in each file created ?

I have tried MP3DirectCut, without luck.

Reply #18
Does any of those splitters maintains the LAME tag on the files, keeping the relevant data in each file created ?

I have tried MP3DirectCut, without luck.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=312849"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

mp3splt does.
I split a LAME 3.97a10 '-V 4 --vbr-new' encoded file and took the first minute from it.  This is what foobar shows via the properties info:
Code: [Select]
Original file:
lame_version = LAME3.97
lame_profile =
lame_profile_index = 0
enc_delay = 576
enc_padding = 1788
mp3_accurate_length = yes
bitrate = 133
codec = MP3
channels = 2
samplerate = 44100
extrainfo = VBR
mp3_stereo_mode = joint stereo
   --------------------
7984452 samples @ 44100Hz
(mod 588 = 0)

mp3splt file:
lame_version = LAME3.97
lame_profile =
lame_profile_index = 0
enc_delay = 576
enc_padding = 1788
mp3_accurate_length = yes
bitrate = 138
codec = MP3
channels = 2
samplerate = 44100
extrainfo = VBR
mp3_stereo_mode = joint stereo
   --------------------
2644932 samples @ 44100Hz
(rounded samples : 2644824)

The Title, Artist, Album & Comment fields do get changed though.

Reply #19
mp3splt does.
I split a LAME 3.97a10 '-V 4 --vbr-new' encoded file and took the first minute from it.  This is what foobar shows via the properties info:
Code: [Select]
Original file:
:::
enc_delay = 576
enc_padding = 1788
   --------------------
7984452 samples @ 44100Hz
(mod 588 = 0)

mp3splt file:
enc_delay = 576
enc_padding = 1788
   --------------------
2644932 samples @ 44100Hz
(rounded samples : 2644824)

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

mp3splt doesn't touch enc_delay/padding appropriately, I guess.
(The outcome most likely won't be something you can play back gaplessly)
I know of no *good* mp3 splitter. (My definition of *good* is something that matches kode54's suggestions which can be found [a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=34865#]here[/url])

Sebi

Reply #20
I am not finding mp3direct software very easy to use for non-destructive mp3 editing.  I am used to Adobe Audition aka Cool Edit in how easy it is to navigate and chop up files.

Is there any other software that can work with mp3 files to chop and adjust volume without reencoding them after saving?

Rick
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Try this one, it's not freeware but sure looks nice.
Mp3 Stream Editor 3 - [a href="http://www.3delite.hu/MP3SE/help/index.html]http://www.3delite.hu/MP3SE/help/index.html[/url]

Reply #21
te he, or Sebi's pcutmp3 tool.  Works a treat.