Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Where to start for skinning? (Read 2067 times) previous topic - next topic

Where to start for skinning?

Hi everybody,

I want to customize my own Foobar so that it looks like a mix of Itunes, Groove, and Groove on the internet (which is not the same), though simpler. I will develop that under my main question if anyone is interested by this project and why I launch it.

I know nothing in code. I understood that only JavaScript was needed to achieve my goal, since I studied a bit Eole skin which combine Panel Stack Splitter and JScript Panel, along with additionnal components (However I don't remember if Es Playlist needs JavaScript or C++).

So, what do I need to create my own skin? Learning JavaScript, ok. But is there a guide to understand better how the configuration of panels work, how to organize the panels themselves, is there more than JS to know?
Moreover, can I hope achieve a very good result in less than five years? (Knowing that I work hard, but a bit obsessive/perfectionnist).
Are there guides to skin you would recommend?

Down with the questions. Why I want to skin an Itunes/Groove(s) Foobar?
First because I am tired of asking for correcting basic troubles with Groove since a long time without any change occurring (I'm a Windows Insider): Blurred album arts won't appear in headers when it is your own ripping, no composers pictures, troubles with synchronizing when album art is modified, gapless playback with a noisy scratch, ugly tracks playlist in album pages and unability to see long titles, troubles with Hi-res audio, Metadata editing does not work properly, especially when your collection is synchronized. I decided to leave definitely when I saw that some tracks didn't appear anymore, for no apparent reason.
Why ITunes? Because I love the big album arts (Groove's are too small), and some other stylish features I'd like to add.
Groove on the internet is also clearer than the app in some ways. So I want to combine all three to keep the best.
I know some effects would be difficult to replicate, but I can lower my expectations. All I want is a clear, simple but complete and design app.

I could detail that project if someone is interested, with pictures (I use gimp 2 a lot...).

Anyway, thank you for helping me know what path I should follow not to be lost in skin-designing!

Sorry for any mistakes (I'm french).

Giustiniani
My customized icon for Foobar is my avatar. I've it in black and white if you're interested.

Re: Where to start for skinning?

Reply #1
This is the only guide I ever found useful. It is actually focused on panel stack splitter, but this is the first plug-in you should check IMHO. JScript is also an essential plug-in for skinning as well as for automation, but if - like me - you have no javascript knowledge, it has a steep learning curve and there is no guide (there are plenty of online javascript tutorials of course, but as for my experience that's far from being enough to understand JScript panel). The best way to learn is by studying other people's scripts.
Studying other people work is actually the best way to learn anything. The skins I downloaded from deviantart were the best foobar2000 skinning tutorial I found.

Attached is a screenshot of my current layout which is also inspired to microsoft groove music app, built on panel stack splitter in combination with a few JScript panels.

I'm late

Reply #2
As a wise man said once: If you want skins, use Winamp ;)

Reply #3
Hi Davideleo,

Your skin seems pretty. If you did that without JS knowledge I'm impressed and hopeful. Can I download it somewhere, so that I take some inspiration from it please?

Thank you for the link. Actually, that's also the only guide I found that seemed interesting. But I find it complex for the moment, and I struggle to understand Eole skin with it (I must admit I have not read much of it in fact).

I just want to be sure that I don't miss any necessary knowledge/guide before starting, although I know learning by oneself is very powerful (but also potentially longer).

Thank you for your help!
My customized icon for Foobar is my avatar. I've it in black and white if you're interested.

Reply #5
Hi Davideleo,

Your skin seems pretty. If you did that without JS knowledge I'm impressed and hopeful. Can I download it somewhere, so that I take some inspiration from it please?

I don't want to share it publicly, but I'll write you a private message.

P. S.
Thank you for the link. Actually, that's also the only guide I found that seemed interesting. But I find it complex for the moment, and I struggle to understand Eole skin with it (I must admit I have not read much of it in fact).

As far as I can remember the eole skin is almost entirely based on jscript panel, that guide is about panel stack splitter.
I'm late

Reply #6
Attached is a screenshot of my current layout which is also inspired to microsoft groove music app, built on panel stack splitter in combination with a few JScript panels.

Impressive! I also dig Groove Music's UI. I'd very much like to give your skin a try, if you feel inclined to share it.

Reply #7
Eole skin is based on Panel Stack Splitter and JScript integrated into it.

Thank you Chamber32

Reply #8
Your skin seems pretty. If you did that without JS knowledge I'm impressed and hopeful.
Sorry, I just noticed, but there's a misunderstanding: I didn't have any javascript knowledge one year ago, when I started skinning my foobar2000. All scripts in the above skin are mine or thoroughly modded by me. I'm still a beginner, but even a basic use of JScript panel is enough to turn your skinning possibilities around.
I'm late