Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Inconsistency with multi disc albums and default interface (Read 8973 times) previous topic - next topic

Inconsistency with multi disc albums and default interface

How do you handle multi disc albums? Here are most common scenarios when using official components:
First option - suggested by "Auto track number" function - is to separate each disc into different folder (Album/Disc number/track). But then album art will be copied only to first disc folder when used new file operations menu so we loose possibility to view artowrk for other discs. Isnt that annoying? That way artwork has to be copied using external tool to other subfolders. Also, updating such an artwork in future is complicated.
Second option - suggested by "Album art viewer" component - to have artwork viewable for every disc of specific album, all tracks should be in one directory. So we set to each disc proper discnumber tag. But then we cant use properly "Auto track number" function because it is based on directory structure.

Maybe someone has better working scheme?

Reply #1
what i do is tag all the tracks according to what disc they came from, then auto track all the tracks together and put them all in one folder along with the album art.

Reply #2
what i do is tag all the tracks according to what disc they came from, then auto track all the tracks together and put them all in one folder along with the album art.

In addition, I also use [%discnumber%.][%tracknumber% - ]%title% for renaming files, and %album artist%/%album artist% '['%date%']' - %album%/[%discnumber%.][%tracknumber% - ]%title% for moving.

Thus,

Artist\Artist [year] - Album\discnumber.tracknumber - Title

Reply #3
Yes, I tried using that also - but we loose "Auto track number" function that way. That would be nice solution if grouping pattern could be specified for auto track numbering, similar to RG scanner.

Reply #4
This is how I do it, not having any problems with it:

Tags:
  • %album% is the same for all files or else foobar2000 will treat all discs as individual albums.
  • %discnumber% and %totaldiscs% are set correctly.
File name:
  • For individual tracks I use %album artists%\%date% - %album%\%discnumber%.%track% - %title% (simplified code).
  • For image rips I use %album artists%\%date% - %album%\%album artists% - %date% - %album% - CD%discnumber%.%ext% (also simplified).
That (especially the tags) works out of the box.

PS: Auto track-number fails to recognise %album%+%discnumber%+%totaldiscs%: It does not start over with each CD, but will continue at the second CD without resetting the counter. That's a bug (or missing feature), I'd say.
PPS: Have you tried "Automatically Fill Values" and creating the tracks from the file names?

Reply #5
So how do you tracknumber your files? This is simply already mentioned "Second option" where all files from album are in one directory and auto track numbering doesnt work. At least not in expected way.

edit:
"Automatically Fill Values" would be too much hassle, and no way to generate %totaltracks% tag.

Reply #6
In case of a lossless WAV rip directly from EAC the track numbers and other basic metadata get imported from the CUE sheet.

In case of individual files (one file per track), either from the filename or from the tags.

PS: Yes, I add a lot of metadata "by hand". My main tagging application is Mp3tag btw... with foobar2000 I only add "totaldiscs" by hand and as a finishing step the replaygain values are added fully automatically, since by then the album and discnumber/totaldisc is already set up correctly.

PPS: Another thing you could do to speed up your "TRACKing" with "Auto Track Numbers" is to assign a custom button to that command. Then select the tracks of each CD in a multi-set and push that button for each CD. Do that after you have auto-track-numbered your whole collection (or new music files), you must search for the multi-set albums then.

Reply #7
PPS: Another thing you could do to speed up your "TRACKing" with "Auto Track Numbers" is to assign a custom button to that command. Then select the tracks of each CD in a multi-set and push that button for each CD. Do that after you have auto-track-numbered your whole collection (or new music files), you must search for the multi-set albums then.

Yes, thats useful, but impossible without using old masstagger. My main purpose of this thread was to bring attention to how one official component encourages to use one dir structure, while other to do the opposite. And looks like there is no clean and simple way to bypass problems caused by that.

Reply #8
It is impossible without using masstagger? Why? Don't you have every album in its own dorectory?

Reply #9
Its impossible to bind "Auto Track Numbers" to key combination. At least I dont see any way to do this.

Reply #10
Not keys, but custom buttons.
Hm, it seems that command is not available via custom buttons.

Reply #11
That wouldnt be that bad (because I really like to do tagging in properties window - safer, live preview etc.) only if "Auto Track Number" could scan by tags too.

Reply #12
Yes, they should have. And yes, it's not available...

Reply #13
if you go to 'manage scripts', add 'auto track number' to the action list, and save the script, you can then bind that script to a key.

and why do you guys need the song filenames to have the track number from this disc it came from? as long as the files are in the right order, and you have the %disc% tagged correctly, what difference does it make how the filenames are numbered?

Reply #14
if you go to 'manage scripts', add 'auto track number' to the action list, and save the script, you can then bind that script to a key.

I do that since there are scripts. But thats old method, I would like to use new properties dialog which is more automatic.
and why do you guys need the song filenames to have the track number from this disc it came from? as long as the files are in the right order, and you have the %disc% tagged correctly, what difference does it make how the filenames are numbered?

Because I like when files are sorted when browsing with files manager or external standalone media player through network? And because album may have the same track titles on both discs...

Reply #15

Because I like when files are sorted when browsing with files manager or external standalone media player through network? And because album may have the same track titles on both discs...

but the files would be sorted if you use the second option, and if you use the track number in the file name, that would differentiate multiple songs with the same title.

Reply #16
What if the tracks have same title and tracknumber? Thats what Im talking about.

And they wont be sorted (in file manager), this will look like:
01. track from d1
01. track from d2
02. track from d1
02. track from d2

Now imagine you want to send some files from disc1 to mp3 player without using foobar. You simply cant select one disc, but have to click every track separately.

Reply #17
but if you use auto track number on the entire album, all the tracks will have a unique track number, thus they will be sorted correctly.

Reply #18
Yeah but I guess thats not the standard use of tracknumber. The standard is each disc starts numbering from 01.

Reply #19
there's no need for you to use the same track number from the physical discs when you name and tag the files on your hard drive. all that matters, at least to me, is to have the tracks in the right order and to retain their respective disc numbers in the %disc% tag. auto tracking all the songs together and putting them in one folder is the easiest way, i think. you can even do what intoc and fandango suggested and include the disc number in the file name so you can still see which disc each track came from when you navigate to the album folder. in fact, if you use the disc number in the file name, you can actually retain the track numbers from the physical discs if you like.

example:
%discnumber%.%track% - %title%
1.01 - title
2.01 - title

Reply #20
But you cant do that automatically - thing that is point of "Auto track number".
And tracknumbers beginning with 01 for each disc actually have practical uses - its much easier find specific track in listing by looking by numbers than titles. The way you propose files in library  would have different tracknumber than everywhere else (freedb, web, covers , itunes etc...)

Reply #21
well, what is it that you're doing that requires your files to be named the same as itunes, web sites and freedb?

Reply #22
The same thing that tells me not to put track name to album tag - standards, clean look, clarity.
That has practical uses, lets say you have lyrics from cd case and are currently listening to song from that album. It much easier to find track you are looking for  by taking its number than its title (especially if the track isnt in your native language). Same thing is with freedb - for example if you want to spot spelling mistake, definitely easier to check tracknumber.

Reply #23
I'm confused with what state your music files are in right now. How do you have your tracks stored on your hard drive and are they properly tagged to any degree?

Reply #24
but you can make your own standard. you dont have to be just like everyone else. the way i see it is, they're my files on my computer, i'll name them however i like. so what if itunes does it differently? if it makes sense to me, that's all that matters.

you don't need to have the track numbers exactly right for freedb to figure what album it is and apply track titles.

and if you want to find a track with foobar, you can navigate through the album list, or use the search box in facets.