Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Preferences > Playback Output > Output Format option disabled... Any idea why? (Read 857 times) previous topic - next topic

Preferences > Playback Output > Output Format option disabled... Any idea why?

Hi again

I've just moved from XP-32Bit to Win7 64Bit.  One of the things I've noticed is different is that the Output Format option in Preferences > Playback Output is disabled.   I used to be able to change it, but it is now greyed out...  Any ideas why? 

I'm still using the same soundcard - an EMU 1820M.  It's an old soundcard and never had proper Windows 7 64-Bit drivers written for it.  There was a beta release - and that's what I'm using - but development stopped there.  Just thought I'd mention that in case it is relevant. 

Oh, and I should add that the option is greyed regardless of whether I choose An ASIO option, DS : Primary Sound Driver, or DS : Speakers (E-MU E-DSP). 

Huge thanks

Re: Preferences > Playback Output > Output Format option disabled... Any idea why?

Reply #1
The setting is grayed out on anything newer than XP when using ASIO or DirectSound. With WASAPI the configuration is still enabled. The other outputs keep the signal in highest quality mode to the end and the final conversion is done after foobar2000's core. With ASIO the output component uses highest supported bit-depth and with DirectSound the OS mixer converts the signal to whatever has been set in the sound card settings.

Re: Preferences > Playback Output > Output Format option disabled... Any idea why?

Reply #2
Hmm...  A few things for me to think about there.  It's all a bit new and different than XP.  I'll have a play about and come back if I am unsure of what's best. 

Huge thanks for the help.