Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Buying a new CD Writer (Read 19213 times) previous topic - next topic

Buying a new CD Writer

Reply #75
Originally posted by MTRH
Can the new 40X Plex be considered "safe" still`?

I have always been a Plextor maniac more or less, but frankly, their latest offering is overpriced. Even worse, in most of the CD-R tests from PC Welt, it looks bad against the Lite-On 40x, which is about half the price of the Plex.

Needless to say, i own a Lite-On 40125W now... excellent drive, for a mere 70 Euro.

Buying a new CD Writer

Reply #76
Even worse, in most of the CD-R tests from PC Welt, it looks bad against the Lite-On 40x, which is about half the price of the Plex.

Can you explain why Plextor 40A is inferior to Lite-On 40x, or show details from the test?

Did Plextor lost its fame?!

Buying a new CD Writer

Reply #77
Originally posted by VirtualKid

Can you explain why Plextor 40A is inferior to Lite-On 40x, or show details from the test?

Some of the tests are here (this is an article about bad 32x and 40x media): http://www.cd-rw.org/articles/archive/high...aerrorrates.cfm

But the same behaviour could be observed with almost all CD-Rs, the Lite-On tends to burn with lower error rates.

Buying a new CD Writer

Reply #78
Originally posted by experttech

Especially since the lowest supported speed for the LG 32X writer is 8X which is supposed to be too high for overburning. See http://www4.tomshardware.com/storage/02q2/...00audio-10.html

Really? I was not aware of a speed limitation when burning XXL blanks. Maybe that explains why my burner doesn't like to go past 99:00---I have burned all my CD-R 99's at 24x and they play back without a hitch, though I rarely go past 96:00.

Buying a new CD Writer

Reply #79
Originally posted by Cygnus X1

Really? I was not aware of a speed limitation when burning XXL blanks. Maybe that explains why my burner doesn't like to go past 99:00---I have burned all my CD-R 99's at 24x and they play back without a hitch, though I rarely go past 96:00.

Hey Cygnus, even 96:00 is great. Have you RELIABLY burnt data CDs with overburning? For that much time, you could fit about 840 MB which is quite good (as opposed to the 700 MB limit I could burn with my older CDR). But again, is overburning recommended for data CDs?
There are only 10 types of people on this earth - those who know binary and those who don't.

Dell Inspiron 5100
P4 2.4 533 FSB,
512 MB / 40 GB,
Windows XP Home

Buying a new CD Writer

Reply #80
Thus far they seem to be reliable. . .but I haven't run any tests to determine BLERs so I don't know for sure. Also, I rarely burn data CD's anymore, just audio, since I have no data to burn (other than an occasional backup, and for this I'll stick to CD-R 80's). If the integrity of your data is important, I would use a 74 or 80 minute CD as the oversize ones are out of spec. and may not be supported on certain drives, and there's no guarantee that they will be x years down the road. Or you could always go the DVD-RAM or DVD-R route.

Buying a new CD Writer

Reply #81
Originally posted by quellcore
I've bought 50 discs of 'Silver Circle' (from 'Schaulandt/Germany'), CDR identifier gave me the following info:
Code: [Select]
ATIP:              97m 17s 06f

Disc Manufacturer: Moser Baer India Ltd. ???

But can't find that Disc Manufacturer Moser Baer India Ltd. in the list at cdmediaworld
...anybody out there who got some experiences with that discs or with that manufacturer?

I bet CDR identifier does not give valid ATIP info here. Last version (1.63) was released march 2001 and it was discontinued then.

BTW
Surprisingly I also found a Silver Circle CDR 80 (also from Germany) here but this gives:

ATIP:              97m 32s 19f
Disc Manufacturer: Prodisc Technology Inc.
Reflective layer:  Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
Media type:        CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds:  min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity:  702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

Buying a new CD Writer

Reply #82
OK, I finally got my new writer the LG GCE-8240B (24X10X40X). I burnt a 700 MB data CD (Samsung make):

ATIP:              97m 15s 15f
Disc Manufacturer: Ritek Co.
Reflective layer:  Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
Media type:        CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds:  min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity:  702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

When I run Nero CDSpeed's Scandisk, it first gives me a warning that the drive may be unable to return errors. The CD has all sectors as Yellow (Damaged). Obviously something is wrong, as the CD is perfectly readable.

???
There are only 10 types of people on this earth - those who know binary and those who don't.

Dell Inspiron 5100
P4 2.4 533 FSB,
512 MB / 40 GB,
Windows XP Home

Buying a new CD Writer

Reply #83
I've  run into that problem with Drive Speed, but other disc-scanning programs confirm my discs as having 0 errors.  Keep in mind that LG drives do not support C2 error reporting, but from what I read have an error correction algorithm built into the firmware and or/ chip. That's why a program like Drive Speed whose purpose is to read C2 returns will show a bunch of errors.

And why oh why are you using Ritek manufactured CD-R's? You are asking for trouble and/or disc errors!!!!! Toss 'em and go buy some real cd-rs!

Buying a new CD Writer

Reply #84
Originally posted by Cygnus X1
other disc-scanning programs confirm my discs as having 0 errors. 

Which program(s) ?

And why oh why are you using Ritek manufactured CD-R's? You are asking for trouble and/or disc errors!!!!! Toss 'em and go buy some real cd-rs!

Yeah, Im gonna do that. I had a few remaining from my old bundle. Soon I'll have some Taiyo-Yudens with me

And is that non-C2 error reporting thing something to worry about ? I guess it affects DAE using EAC (secure mode)

Dell Inspiron 5100
P4 2.4 533 FSB,
512 MB / 40 GB,
Windows XP Home

Buying a new CD Writer

Reply #85
TEAC builds the best burners !

Buying a new CD Writer

Reply #86
The more I use Verbatim Datalife Plus (74-min) silvers, the happier I am.  The other day I tried to wipe the data on one of these using my usual technique (scraping off part of the top layer with a screwdriver  ) and it was very difficult.  It seems they use a protective coating, unlike the typical cheapies that practically flake off by themselves.  Also, all tests are showing that BLER (block error rates) are extremely low, even with these discs branded as "32x certified."

If interested in what I got, here it is:

http://www.cdrplanet.com/verbatim.html

(Upper left item on page).

Edit -- if you're wondering why I chose these... Plextor included one as the "freebie CD-R" with my 24/10/40A burner, and I was pleased.