Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Lame settings for foobar2000 (Read 3850 times) previous topic - next topic

Lame settings for foobar2000

Sorry if this is somewhere in the forum, I haven't managed to find it.

1.- What are the settings for 320kbps?
This is for 240 but I can't find the setting for 320
-S --noreplaygain -V 0 --vbr-new - %d

2.- Can I use foobar to convert flac/ape to aac.

Many thanks!!!!

Reply #1
1. You can't have 320 kbps VBR, I believe. 320 kbps is CBR only. Not that I'm too sturdy with converter options, but check here: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Lame. "-S --noreplaygain -b 320 - %d" should work, I think.

2. Yes, you can select a preset called MP4 in the converter dialog. It'll ask for the file NeroAacEnc.exe. Any file Foobar can decode, it can convert.

EDIT: Added download link for NeroAacEnc.exe.

Reply #2
Great, thanks!
I've tried both, and they work for me.

Reply #3
You may also want to carry out your own blind listening tests with the aid of the Foobar2000 ABX comparator tool. It's rather unlikely that you need to be encoding at that high a setting, IMO. Only you can tell as only you have your ears, but it's worth the minimal effort required to carry out the tests if you can fit more music into the same space with no audible loss to you personally.

Cheers, Slipstreem. 

Reply #4
People seem to forget that blind testing only helps you to hear (or not) differences with your current equipment. If vbr -v5 currently sounds transparent to you that's fine, but if you upgrade your speakers/headphones some day it may not anymore. Also HDD space is so cheap nowadays that the file size difference between vbr -v5 and for example vbr -v2 is negligible. I agree that 320 is a little overkill though.

Reply #5
If you read the preceding posts, you'll see that the OP was intending to use either CBR320 or -V0 but didn't specify whether he'd ascertained an actual personal need for this. I'm not trying to tell him what is or isn't necessary, merely pointing out that he may be seriously over egging the pudding needlessly.

It's not possible to tell a person what they do or don't need, but even, say, -V5 with the latest release of LAME is perceptually transparent to a very high percentage of people under all listening conditions on any equipment with almost any 'typical' source material. It just seemed prudent to point out that CBR320 or -V0 was likely to be overkill.

Regardless of how cheap the storage space may have become, why waste it out of ignorance... and I use the polite form of the word "ignorance".

Cheers, Slipstreem. 

PS The OP didn't even mention a hard drive.

Reply #6
Hi again!

I'll try to answer your questions briefly.

I store my music on a 1TB Hard Disk in lossless format. The reason why I want to convert to 320 is to try and get the best possible sound on my Iphone.  I haven't carried out any tests. I do use lower bitrates when I encode a historical mono recording (classical music).
Should I go with -S --noreplaygain -V 0 --vbr-new - %d rather than CBR 320? Are both overkill?

Thanks again.

Reply #7
Only you have the answer to that question. Either go with -V0 or carry out  a few simple tests to determine what you actually need. Nobody else can tell you.

Cheers, Slipstreem. 

Reply #8
What Slipstream said. Also consider that there is environment noise when listening on a portable device which makes it even harder to hear the fine details.

Reply #9
Thank you for your advice.

Reply #10
You're welcome. Don't forget to make it a proper blind ABX test if you intend to test. It eliminates the placebo effect that all humans are susceptible to in non-blind tests. If you need help with doing this, just ask. We're here to help.

Cheers, Slipstreem. 

Reply #11
The reason why I want to convert to 320 is to try and get the best possible sound on my Iphone.

on an iPhone, I suppose drive space is an issue, so 192+vbr will allow you more music without any perceptible quality loss.

consider that there is environment noise when listening on a portable device which makes it even harder to hear the fine details.

Here lies wisdom. In fact, I think you'll be able to encode at 128 CBR and not hear any sort of low audio quality, unless your earplugs are really good -- I'm not that familiar with the things a good set of plugs can do, but I doubt they'll match up to a proper teamup of amp + headphones.