Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MPEG2 into MPEG1 (Read 4713 times) previous topic - next topic

MPEG2 into MPEG1

Hi. I have some MP3 files on computer that I want to listen to on my Sony MP3 player.

The audiofiles are on the PC are MP3 (MPEG-2 audio layer3)  ........but......
The MP3 player can only play MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer3)

I don't care too much about loss of quality or increased file size as its just an Audio-book that I want to listen to. Someone sugested that I burn to CD - before ripping back to PC using the correct format.... but the trouble is its 20hours long!!

Does anyone know what I can do to convert them to the correct format and hopefully for free?

MPEG2 into MPEG1

Reply #1
The audiofiles are on the PC are MP3 (MPEG-2 audio layer3)  ........but......
The MP3 player can only play MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer3)
MP3 is MPEG-1 layer 3 so your player should support it with no problems. almost every portable player supports MP3.
did you actually check if the files play on your device?

edit: spelling
Nothing but a Heartache - Since I found my Baby ;)

MPEG2 into MPEG1

Reply #2
Sorry Digga, but you are wrong. Lower bitrate MP3's are actually MPEG 2 (or MPEG 2.5) Layer 3.

Code: [Select]
        Sample Rates     Bitrates
MPEG-1  32, 44.1,  48    32, 40, 48, 56, 64, 80, 96, 112, 128, 160, 192, 224, 256, 320
MPEG-2  16. 22.05, 24    8,  16, 24, 32, 40, 48, 56, 64,  80,  96,  112, 128, 144, 160

Bonker - there's no need to burn them to CD, somebody told you a stupid method.
Just try recompress these files with LAME, which can read mp3 as an input (but first make sure you really can't play these files on your player).
Not really a Signature.

MPEG2 into MPEG1

Reply #3
MPEG-2 audio layer3
The MPEG-2 Audio part (defined in Part 3 of the standard), enhances MPEG-1's audio by allowing the coding of audio programs with more than two channels. Part 3 of the standard allows this to be done in a backwards compatible way, allowing MPEG-1 audio decoders to decode the two main stereo components of the presentation.

General MP3 decoder seems to support decoding MPEG-2 audio layer3.

MPEG2 into MPEG1

Reply #4
General MP3 decoder, yes. Sony MP3 decoder - who knows...
The problem might be with lower sample rates, not channel number.
Not really a Signature.

MPEG2 into MPEG1

Reply #5
General MP3 decoder, yes. Sony MP3 decoder - who knows...
The problem might be with lower sample rates, not channel number.

That's the problem.
I confirmed iPod nano plays 8 and 16kHz mp3.
But Sony officially support 32, 44.1 and 48kHz only.

MPEG2 into MPEG1

Reply #6
Thanks for all your quick replies.

I did try the audio on my MP3 plyer- twice......but although the tracks transfered onto it, they won't play.

what can I do then?  I take it that the audio is recoreded at too low a sample rate so my MP3 player wont play it??  Will LAME be able to rectify this and covert to a higher bit rate that the Sony MP3 player will be able to read?

MPEG2 into MPEG1

Reply #7
As already said, transcoding with resampling is the only way to play on Sony walkman.
LAME with --resample 32000 or SSRC prior to encoding would be good. I don't konw which is better.

MPEG2 into MPEG1

Reply #8
Sorry Digga, but you are wrong. Lower bitrate MP3's are actually MPEG 2 (or MPEG 2.5) Layer 3.
hmm I didn't know this. thanks for the info.
Nothing but a Heartache - Since I found my Baby ;)

MPEG2 into MPEG1

Reply #9
Will LAME be able to rectify this and covert to a higher bit rate that the Sony MP3 player will be able to read?

You may try:
lame.exe --mp3input --resample 32000 -h -b 32 inputfile.mp3 outputfile.mp3

I don't know if --mp3input switch is mandatory, and maybe you would like to encode at higher bitrate (then you may try using -abr [bitrate] instead of -b [bitrate]).
Not really a Signature.