Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Need a wide (68-pin) SCSI PCMCIA card (Read 3583 times) previous topic - next topic

Need a wide (68-pin) SCSI PCMCIA card

Hi All, 
I came across an older model Plextor PX-40TSUWe on a computer store's remainder shelf (All Sales Final!).  This is one of the best ripping drives made, according to the DAE data base it has all the right properties  for rippinng.  BUT it has a 68-pin SCSI input connector and I have only notebook computers.  Thinking I would be able to get a PCMCIA card that that would connect to a wide 68-pin device, I bought it.  (Grabbed would be the better description!)

Now I can't seem to find a way to connect it to the notebook--no 68-pin PCMCIA that I can turn up.  So I'm looking for suggestions/solutions.  There are 50-pin PCMCIAs and 50to68 pin adaptors--is this what people use (will this work as I need) or does everyone with one of these drives have a desktop computer?

Any help would be appreciated.
TIA,  George

Reply #1
I certainly didnot intend on violating HA rules.  Could you please highlight the offending section.  Thank you.

George

Reply #2
Are you stuck with PCMCIA? What about USB / Firewire to SCSI? There seem to be some out there from doing a cursory search.

The rule break may have been a result of posting in the wrong forum? Has your post been moved to this section?
daefeatures.co.uk

Reply #3
Yes my post was just moved here w/o comment.

I've looked at USB and 68 to USB, I can't find any.  50 to USB I can,but further research showes a number of them to be flakey--guess that was a problm with SCSI often.    The computer is an old Thinkpad PII win98 that is in excellent shape but obsoete as hell (USB 1.0).  There may be a way to hook up using the printer port but that would be very slow--back in the day the fast input was via PCMCIA.  I hadn't thought about Firewire but that may be an option as one can get a firewire PCMCIA for cheap.  I'll check it out.

Do you think I'd get in further trouble if I posted it to the CD section?

George