Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: better simple mp3 cold line around 160? (Read 2631 times) previous topic - next topic

better simple mp3 cold line around 160?

edit: code line, not cold line... hehe

got down off my high horse of ogg and started using mp3, largely b/c a friend gave me a portable that reads mp3's off of cd-r. My optimum quality to size ration for such listening seems to be fine at around -alt-preset cbr 160 (depending on the difficulty of the music for encoding). -aps is bigger than I feel like going. But, given the bitrate at which I'm working, is there a good vbr setting that's actually intelligent vbr, goes high when it needs to etc (I'm using cbr b/c I don't see abr as giving much marginal benefit... and may be wrong on this). How is the -r3mix setting? I've never used it.

I've searched around a bit and haven't found any clear recommendations on this.  Thanks.

rip waves w/ EAC secure
encode using Lame 3.93
Trim any beginning silence, and ending silence if live or supposed-to-be-gapless transition with mp3trim
mp3gain @ 89 dB
Tag using Tag
God kills a kitten every time you encode with CBR 320

Reply #1
Hi, I have been using EAC with the -r3mix setting, all in all I am very pleased with the results. I have used it to convert most of my CD collection (mostly stuff like Coldplay, Doves etc.) and I must say (IMHO) that the sound quality is very good. I would reckon that the songs average out at around 170-210 kbps and a good comparison of file size is roughly the same as CBR 192. I have been using LAME 3.90.2 as this still seems to be the most recommended. By the way I have an iRiver SlimX, iFP190 and a Sony NetMD and the r3mix files work on them all with no trouble. For more info go to www.r3mix.net

Cheers

Reply #2
the r3mix setting are very outdated.  i would suggest using --alt -preset standard -y, as this will average around what you are looking for with much better quality.  for more info see the FAQs.
i hate cats

Reply #3
How about just: --alt-preset 160 ...?

Reply #4
how about --preset medium?

Reply #5
Since you are using 700MB CD-Rs you might as well use --alt-preset-standard -Y. It's probably the safest choice in the 165-180kbps range (unless you are rather sensitive >16KHz).