Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What the Smallest Bit rate achived (Read 3867 times) previous topic - next topic

What the Smallest Bit rate achived

What the Smallest Bit rate achived that is lossless, I was on the FLAC website and I couldent find a ratio any where. 

Reply #1
here
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."

Reply #2
That's highly dependent on the music you compress. On some very simple samples bitrate of few kbps can be achieved.

-Eugene
The  greatest  programming  project of all took six days;  on the seventh  day  the  programmer  rested.  We've been trying to debug the !@#$%&* thing ever since. Moral: design before you implement.

Reply #3
yep.  solo piano or other solo instruments can compress 1/4 easily (well with APE they can so I'm assuming FLAC is reasonably close)

Reply #4
Of thats the case it sounds to me to be a little bit like ATRAC

Reply #5
ATRAC is lossy. If it sounds like lossless on some music this simply means that it's transparent for a given tune at the given bitrate.

-Eugene
The  greatest  programming  project of all took six days;  on the seventh  day  the  programmer  rested.  We've been trying to debug the !@#$%&* thing ever since. Moral: design before you implement.

Reply #6
With FLAC you do not specify a bitrate like with some lossy codecs.  It's more like specifying a quality with Vorbis or MPC, except with FLAC the quality is always "lossless" and the resulting bitrate is roughly proportional to the amount of information in the original signal.  You cannot control the bitrate and the result can be from around 100% of the input rate (if you are encoding noise), down to almost 0 (encoding silence).

Josh

Reply #7
I figure I'll take a stab at *answering* the question

General music tends to end up between 50-70% of the original size, if you don't mind the speed of compression/decompression being slow, you can keep it close to the 50% end of things
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >