Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 v1.3 beta feedback (Read 60544 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar2000 v1.3 beta feedback

Reply #75
The "Access denied" problem has yet to be fixed.

Reply #76
Looking forward to the final release of Foobar 1.3.

I'm really happy about the changes related to large library handling.

I have around 120K FLAC files in my library and Foobar was really struggling with the library - most of the time it was not able to save the library during exit.

The problem is that some utilities save audio analysis/fingerprint data (AcoustID info) in file TAGs and Foobar was loading all this info into the cache making it huge and full with useless info.

A couple of years ago I posted a question if it was possible to prevent Foobar from reading specific TAGs into the cache and I was told it was not possible.

As a workaround I ended up splitting my Music folder into multiple separate library folders by letter (e.g. Music\A, Music\B and so on) which solved my problem temporarily and allowed Foobar to save the library on exit successfully - most likely Foobar is creating a separate cache per library folder internally.

But even so, handling remains quite slow and memory consumption is quite large (around 600MB). I'm glad to see these issues are currently being addressed - thanks for making this great product even better!

Reply #77
In v1.3 beta 4: If I tag an album with the Musicbrainz plugin, I'm unable to Replaygain it. Each file produces a "Could not update tags (File is already in use)" error message. Restarting foobar2000 fixes it.
That's so plausible, I can't believe it.

Reply #78
As mentioned there is a dot in large fields when loading whole library to properties dialog. Nevertheless i cann see the full lyrics when opening just few albums. Is there a limit of tracks?

EDIT:
Another question: is There another difference than the size limit for meta fields between basic meta fields and those that don't appear in neither list? And what happens if the size exceeds in one field?

Reply #79
Beta 5 looks good to me, my only issue was the SBR+PS tag.

PS
The website has a typo, beta 5 instead of beta 4 on 2013-10-31.

Reply #80
As mentioned there is a dot in large fields when loading whole library to properties dialog. Nevertheless i cann see the full lyrics when opening just few albums. Is there a limit of tracks?

I assume you want to look at the new feature "Preferences/Advanced/Display/Properties dialog/Always preload complete info up to N tracks"

Reply #82
beta 5 bug report:

LargeFieldsConfig doesn't appear to work if the field ends in a space.  (I'm trying to cause "XID " (trailing space) to not cache.)

Reply #83
HI

I noticed some cosmetic change in UI. Properties panel if docked shows in place of multiline comment only dot. I know this wasnot in older version. Can this plz be reverted back to old fashion (or configurable style whichever user prefers) so that I could always see first line of comment (optionally followed by ellipsis if multiline)

Reply #84
Properties panel if docked shows in place of multiline comment only dot.

I can not reproduce that behaviour with beta5. So it might be only in certain situations. I did not use 1.3 beta with my "big" library yet.

Peter, maybe you would care to drop a few lines about what the entries in LargeFieldsConfig.txt make foobar2000 1.3 do. (either here of in the file itself) Like, are the max values per field or for the whole group? Do they affect playlists or just the library database? A little bit of understanding could prevent us to do unnecessary or stupid things to our LargeFieldsConfig :-)

BTW should early beta testers delete (or rename) their LargeFieldsConfig.txt when updating to get the new defaults? (I did just in case).

FWIW some maybe useless tags I found, that may be common, were ISRC, ENCODER, ENCODED BY. Also personally I don't care much about totaldisc and totaltracks although I usually keep those tags.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #85
Possible Spam fields:
ACOUSTID ID (MusicBrainz' latest audio fingerprint) <- It is still findable through %spamfield% PRESENT, right?
ASIN (Amazon ID)
BARCODE
COMMERCIAL INFORMATION URL
FBPMQUALITY
MUSICBRAINZ TRM ID (MusicBrainz' oldest audio fingerprint)
MUSICIP PUID (MusicBrainz' second audio fingerprint)
TRAKTORID
TRAKTORPEAKDB
TRAKTORPERCEIVEDDB
WM/ENCODINGTIME

Present in files downloaded from YouTube:
AUDIODATARATE
DURATION
HEIGHT
LENGTH
MINOR_VERSION
STARTTIME
TOTALDATARATE
TOTALDURATION
VIDEODATARATE
WIDTH

although i sometimes search for those because only properly tagged files show up

Reply #86
I'm having trouble with some ogg files which were working perfectly fine with previous versions of foobar (and still work well with other players). They sound sped-up and distorted. Other ogg files work fine, though.

Reply #87
Playlist search behaviour is weird when searching for something and then changing the playlist tab.

Didn't anyone else notice this?

In 1.2 and below when opening a playlist search, typing something and then switching playlists would search for the pattern in the new playlist.
Since 1.3 it doesn't do that anymore.

The old behaviour was really really really useful and I hope this gets fixed for the 1.3 final!

Another thing I noticed is that contrary to what the changelog states, searching of huge libraries actually does make the UI block. At least when typing the first few letters only some of them appear. Then it blocks and initiates a search, and after the results are displayed the rest of the typed letters are inserted and another search is run. It would be nice if the textbox wouldn't freeze while typing.

Reply #88
Another thing I noticed is that contrary to what the changelog states, searching of huge libraries actually does make the UI block. At least when typing the first few letters only some of them appear. Then it blocks and initiates a search, and after the results are displayed the rest of the typed letters are inserted and another search is run. It would be nice if the textbox wouldn't freeze while typing.

I can't reproduce this problem, even with 50K tracks in a playlist. The database is on an SSD, though. I wonder if that's the difference.

Edit: Sorry, that doesn't make sense.    Obviously the playlist is in RAM.
That's so plausible, I can't believe it.

Reply #89
I can not reproduce that behaviour with beta5. So it might be only in certain situations. I did not use 1.3 beta with my "big" library yet.

I'm afraid I can't instruct you how to reproduce this, but on my foobar this appears since some build always like is on the picture

I would be satisfied if the docked instance displayed the comment same manner as popup panel

Reply #90
you need to tinker with LargeFieldsConfig.txt inside your foobar profile folder. edit it while foobar is closed and on the next start, it should force a rebuild of your whole library to cache longer tag fields.

Reply #91

I can't reproduce this problem, even with 50K tracks in a playlist. The database is on an SSD, though. I wonder if that's the difference.

Edit: Sorry, that doesn't make sense.    Obviously the playlist is in RAM.

I can very well reproduce it here even with only 30k tracks in my playlist.

The title of the search window switches to "Playlist search (working)" and while it say's that, any character you type simpy won't appear until it switches back to "Playlist search (X results)". I checked if it was related to the result grouping I'm applying, but it's not it.

Reply #92
Playlist search behaviour is weird when searching for something and then changing the playlist tab.

Didn't anyone else notice this?

In 1.2 and below when opening a playlist search, typing something and then switching playlists would search for the pattern in the new playlist.
Since 1.3 it doesn't do that anymore.

The old behaviour was really really really useful and I hope this gets fixed for the 1.3 final!

Yeah, I already posted something about it. So far, no comment.

Reply #93
Do betas still expire?  We're nearing a month if so.

If any changes are coming, will it be possible to add a tag field which contains a trailing space into LargeFieldsConfig.txt?

Reply #94
Beta 6 posted as beta 5 was about to expire.

Some of the reported bugs have been fixed. Unfortunately I'm short on work hours that I can spare on foobar2000 lately.

I assure you that the remaning issues/complaints/requests will be looked into before 1.3 final.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #95
Although in the change log it is written as:
Corrected gapless playback of HE-AAC files made with iTunes.

it doesn't seem to be corrected on 1.3b6.
(Strictly speaking I tested on the files encoded by qaac that is confirmed to be played back gaplessly by iTunes, since iTunes HE encoder has issues).

Reply #96
Mail a sample file to webmaster@foobar2000.org please. Thanks.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #97
When I convert separated tracks into a multi-track files, all of converted large fields become ".". Is it a bug?

Reply #98
When I convert separated tracks into a multi-track files, all of converted large fields become ".". Is it a bug?

Working as intended.  To see the real contents instead of ".", fully load the info from the properties window's menu.

Reply #99

Working as intended.  To see the real contents instead of ".", fully load the info from the properties window's menu.

Thank you for your advice.
However, the values of these fields are not unstored in the cache, but actually set to ".".