Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What is the 24/192 usb driver situation? (Read 3543 times) previous topic - next topic

What is the 24/192 usb driver situation?

What is the 24/192 usb driver situation across platforms?

I know that there are a number of commercial items associated with expensive computer based audio software, but has anyone addressed this issue in the open source/community arena?

Reply #1
What are you really looking for???    Is there any specific hardware, or OS/platform, you are concerned with?

I would assume that if the hardware device works at 24/192, the hardware manufacturer would supply 24/192 drivers.   If it's pro hardware it probably comes with ASIO drivers, as well as the "normal" drivers for Windows or OS-X.  Most audio pros don't use Linux, so Linux drivers for high-end hardware are probably hit-or-miss.   

The hardware manufacturer is in the best position to write drivers for their unique hardware, except where the hardware is designed to work with the standard default drivers supplied with Windows (or other OS).  I have no idea if the Windows-supplied drivers work at 24/192....

I know that there are a number of commercial items associated with expensive computer based audio software
Some "expensive" applications work with ASIO drivers, but otherwise the software should be standardized for the operation system and it should work with any hardware/drivers that are also designed to work with that particular OS.

As you may know, the driver sits in-between the application and hardware, and the driver is standardized on the "application/OS side", so that the driver & hardware work together to interface with any application.

Pro Tools was a special case where the application and their hardware were specifically designed to work together.  The latest version of Pro Tools no-longer requires their special hardware, but I don't know if their special hardware now works with other applications.

Reply #2
USB audio class 2 is part of the USB standard from 2009 on.
From mid-2010 on native USB audio class 2 drivers are available in OSX 10.6.4 and Linux.
Nobody knows if Microsoft is even thinking about it.
Most DACs comes with a Win driver (often by Thesycon) for > 24/96

Cambridge DacMagic Plus at £349.95 is an example of a 24/192 capable USB DAC  having asynchronous synchronization as well.

Bit more about USB audio: http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/USB.html
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #3
Thanks for the prompt replies.

"What are you really looking for???"

There are a number of chinese made dac boards that do 24/192 but do not come with usb drivers. Trying to find a solution for this problem, if one exists.