Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: exhale - Open Source USAC encoder (Read 304516 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: exhale - Open Source USAC encoder

Reply #300
Thx @NetRanger, can you explain what's the difference between GCC and Clang build?

Reply #301
Literally only the compiler used to build the encoder, it would seem.

Reply #302
Intel compiles exhaleApp-v.1.0.5-92e14850:

www.rarewares.org/files/aac/exhaleApp-v.1.0.5-92e14850_x64.zip

www.rarewares.org/files/aac/exhaleApp-v.1.0.5-92e14850_x86.zip

I have removed all the previous builds, so the links to the older versions above will no longer work. If anyone needs an older version I can make it available.

Reply #304
fyi, I just integrated some enhancements and fixes to exhale's built-in resampler. Input sampled at 48 kHz is now automatically downsampled to 32 kHz when using CVBR mode 1, the interpolation filter for the automatic 2x upsampling of 22.05 and 24 kHz audio was improved very slightly, and some rare cases where the decoded xHE-AAC audio was a few milliseconds shorter than the original input audio have been fixed. There was also a very minor change in bit allocation for 48-kHz audio with CVBR modes 2 and 3. If you're encoding only 44.1-kHz audio or are resampling externally through, e.g., foobar2000, you don't need to worry about any of this.

By the way, to avoid possible misunderstandings about release dates, please consult https://gitlab.com/ecodis/exhale/-/releases. Only the Git revisions mentioned on that page are thoroughly tested.

Chris
If I don't reply to your reply, it means I agree with you.

Reply #307
[...] But John, please [...] rename the executable to exhale.exe, since that's now the intended compiler independent naming [...]
Thanks!! ;) I had forgotten that. Duly amended compiles on the same links as above. :)

Reply #308
Thanks, John and m14u! I made some minor adjustments to exhale's psychoacoustic model today, which causes the average bit-rates of the lower CVBR modes to increase by 1 or 2 kbit/s (at least on my test set). If it increases by more than that on anyone's music collections, please let me know.

Chris

Reply #311
Intel 19 compiles exhale-v.1.0.5-86ba7b8a:
:)

Hi John

Looks like commit 86ba7b8a is v1.0.6 Beta
https://gitlab.com/ecodis/exhale/-/commit/86ba7b8af61fe4dcdab6aa96b7affb57998a9a07
Ah, OK, thanks. Just about to go out so I'll deal with it later. ;)

Reply #313
Thanks, John and m14u! I made some minor adjustments to exhale's psychoacoustic model today, which causes the average bit-rates of the lower CVBR modes to increase by 1 or 2 kbit/s (at least on my test set). If it increases by more than that on anyone's music collections, please let me know.

Chris

Compared with 91 CD (classical music only) between 1.05 and v1.0.6 Beta 86ba7b8a mode 1:
— bitrate varies from -1 kbps and +2 kbps (bitrate is 1 kbps lower on the four low volume/low bitrate/quiet piano albums and only these discs).
— 64 kbps on average with 1.0.5 mode 1 (44 Khz) and 66 kbps with 1.0.6 beta

I'll also try with mode #5

Reply #314
mode 5:
— 1.0.5 = 130 kbps (5.55 GB for 4d 5:12:53.333)
— 1.0.6b = 129 kbps (5.53 GB)

Reply #315
Yes, this issue will also be fixed once I find a good solution for the Linchpin issue.
1.0.6b1 has fixed Linchpin sample at 96 kbps. 

— 64 kbps on average with 1.0.5 mode 1 (44 Khz) and 66 kbps with 1.0.6 beta
Same here but with mode 2.   81 kbps -  1.0.5, 83 kbps - 1.0.6b1.
exhale 1.0.6b1 still produces pretty comparable bitrates  with other popular encoders like Apple AAC and Opus.  Looks good to me.

Reply #316
Great, thanks very much!

bitrate is 1 kbps lower on the four low volume/low bitrate/quiet piano albums and only these discs
This actually wasn't intended. I'll try to find out the reason. Anyway, it doesn't seem to cause any problems.

Edit (July 25): I just committed the last changes for the exhale 1.0.6 release, so we have a release candidate now. I managed to get the average bit-rates back to the level of the 1.0.5 release and also fixed some more rarely occurring bugs (thanks to Igor for reporting one of them!).

Chris

Reply #317
Great, Chris
Hopefully there is still time to test 1.0.6 RC before a final release.

Reply #319
Hi! Do any app support USAC decoding in Android. I have android 5.0
like foobar2000 and Vlc, exoplayer?
Does fraunhofer or c.r heinrich have plans?

Reply #320
it's a plane... it's a bird... NO! it is a ->c.r heinrich<- !!!  :P

Reply #321
Sorry if I mispelled the name. but I want to know if there is a chance to have more widely decoding support.

Reply #322
The decoders depend on the following:

Windows: Must either use FDK-AAC's decoder, or hold out for Microsoft to bundle a system decoder and implement support for it, and if the latter, you're probably stuck with Windows 10.
- foobar2000 uses FDK-AAC, if you install my decoder plugin

macOS: You must either use FDK-AAC's decoder, or use the system AAC or Core Audio library, and then you're stuck requiring Catalina or newer.
- Cog uses the system codec
- foobar2000 for macOS uses the system codec

Linux: You must use FDK-AAC's decoder, until such time as FFmpeg finally implements a decoder, but I wouldn't hold out, the priority for this request is "Wish", which is the lowest priority a request can have.
- foobar2000 in Wine, with my plugin, is about all you'll get
- DeaDBeeF was supposed to implement something like this, but it's been years since it was allegedly started, and nothing is done yet

iOS: Best using the system libraries, which require iOS 13 or newer.
- foobar2000 supports this
- The system Music app should support files as well
- Other apps which use the system codecs should also work

Android: System supports this as of, 9? I think. FDK-AAC actually originates from the Android system source code.
- foobar2000 for Android doesn't yet support this, I don't think? Maybe wait patiently for this one to get dealt with.
- Other Android players which use the system codecs should support this.

Reply #323
Thanks.

Reply #324
Linux: You must use FDK-AAC's decoder, until such time as FFmpeg finally implements a decoder, but I wouldn't hold out, the priority for this request is "Wish", which is the lowest priority a request can have.

Code: [Select]
% mpv --ad=help | rg aac
aac - AAC (Advanced Audio Coding)
aac_fixed (aac) - AAC (Advanced Audio Coding)
aac_latm - AAC LATM (Advanced Audio Coding LATM syntax)
libfdk_aac (aac) - Fraunhofer FDK AAC

And yes, it works.