Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: looking for "Skip Silence" DSP that only works with the begin and end of songs (Read 770 times) previous topic - next topic

looking for "Skip Silence" DSP that only works with the begin and end of songs

Hi.

Is there any "Skip Silence" DSP that only works with the beginning and end of songs ?

The current "Skip Silence" DSP cuts out all silenced passages in the currently playing song. However, I would only like it to cut only the quiet beginning and the quiet end in the song.

I need it because of the mixing transitions of the following songs. If there is a very long silent pause, the fader is not working well. Unfortunately, if I set a very loud cut of a quiet passage in a song, then every quiet passage is cut even while the song is playing (for example, somewhere in its middle position of the song) :).

Thanks.

Re: looking for "Skip Silence" DSP that only works with the begin and end of songs

Reply #1
Unable to edit my old post, so I'm adding one more.

I found that there is a DSP "Gap Killer". However, it is also unusable. Gap Killer only removes silence equal to absolute zero volume. If there is still some "weak and quiet noise" at the beginning and at the end of the song, it will unfortunately not be cut.

I mean... I think...
...there another simple feature could be added, to the current DSP "Skip Silence", as in this modified screenshot:

Re: looking for "Skip Silence" DSP that only works with the begin and end of songs

Reply #2
The Gap Killer v0.4.4 component, from the Foobar2K components download page, includes the option to set the level of "quiet noise" that will be cut off at the end and beginning of the song.

The Gap Killer also cuts out and tracks the quiet place only at the beginning and end of songs.

So, the Gap Killer v0.4.4 component (in development), solves this problem.

Thanks to @anamorphic for the help (from here: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,112159.msg1012841.html#msg1012841).

Reply #3
Hi.

There is about one small BUG in the case of Gap Killer v0.4.4 development version. It should be fixed.

Because I use online radio (audio stream) in my Foobar2K. If I start any online radio from my play-list, Gap Killer seems to try to cut off the initial and non-existent quiet spot. And it does it for the duration of the cache size set in GapKiller (in my case it is 14000 ms).

Reply #4
It doesn't try to cut non-existing initial silence. You see a delay with slow source because the DSP fills its buffer so it can nuke silence at the end of a track. It can remove as long silence from the beginning of a track as needed but it can only remove as much from the end of a track as it has buffered.
I suppose I could add some hacky workarounds to skip buffering under certain conditions. We'll see.

Reply #5
Hi.

Exactly so  :( .

It is necessary that this GapKiller does not work, in the case of online streams  >:( . To automatically idle this GapKiller when online music streaming starts.

I did not look for the exact cause. The fact that the GapKiller considers the beginning of an empty buffer as a quiet volume level, for removal, was just my guess. I don't know, if this is the real cause. However, starting the online radio (stream) really takes as long as I set the seconds-long buffer in the GapKiller.

Reply #6
Hi.

Exactly so  :( .

It is necessary that this GapKiller does not work, in the case of online streams  >:( . To automatically idle this GapKiller when online music streaming starts.

I did not look for the exact cause. The fact that the GapKiller considers the beginning of an empty buffer as a quiet volume level, for removal, was just my guess. I don't know, if this is the real cause. However, starting the online radio (stream) really takes as long as I set the seconds-long buffer in the GapKiller.
What is your settings for GapKiller?

Reply #7
My settings for Gap Killer 0.4.4 ?

Threshold: -35.0 dB
Buffer length: 14000 ms