Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: is Converting 192 AAC VBR to Alt-Preset-Standard LAME MP3 Technically (Read 4011 times) previous topic - next topic

is Converting 192 AAC VBR to Alt-Preset-Standard LAME MP3 Technically

Topic: Although I am technically converting to a less efficient compressed audio type, does the fact that the file size will ultimately increase mean that the file will sound even WORSE than if I converted it in a way that resulted in a smaller file? Thanks. Last topic on this.

Reply #2
Thanks.

Reply #3
wtf

Reply #4
Wtf what? I had to think about it to but it answers the question.

Reply #5
Topic: Although I am technically converting to a less efficient compressed audio type, does the fact that the file size will ultimately increase mean that the file will sound even WORSE than if I converted it in a way that resulted in a smaller file? Thanks. Last topic on this.

Technically the answer to question you asked is no, but I don't think you actually asked the question that you really indented to ask.

If you had asked the question : "Could the mp3 files I produce sound worse than if I made them directly from the original CD, even if I used a lower bit rate for the direct CD rips and a higher bit rate for the trancodes" then the answer would have been a definite "YES they could sound worse".  Additionally as per your other post, it makes absolutely no difference whether you use a wav intermediate or if you transcode "directly".

Reply #6
your question is very confusing... you might want to rephrase it...
but from what I understood, you want to convert a AAC 128kbps average small file to [MP3 V2] and you will get a bigger file. No, it won't be higher quality and yes, you will lose quality because that's what a lossy transcoding process achieves.

Hope I understood you.

Reply #7
Technically, you will lose quality; however, I'm not sure whether you can hear it or not. If you still have the lossless versions of your AAC files, then transcode from those; otherwise, I would try transcoding a song and ABX the original AAC file with the resultant MP3 file to see if you can even perceive the "loss" in quality. Only you are the judge as to whether transcoding from lossy to lossy sounds acceptable to you.