Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: some questions about lossless backups (Read 5791 times) previous topic - next topic

some questions about lossless backups

i'm planning to backup my collection to a lossless format in the near future but i need some information about how to archieve a perfect backup of a cd.

the thing with losslessfile + cue is nice but when i add the folder where i put all my albums in (music\<artist>\<year> - <album>) foobar i'll get the whole lossless file in the list plus the seperate tracks from the cuesheet.

one question is, if i extract the same way as i do now with musepack, just trackwise, but lossless, can i reconstruct the cd like it was? i mean things like pregap, pause between the tracks (not very common but i've seen pause used for announcing songs on a livedisc) and so on.

the other is, is there a way to rip with cuesheet (embedding it in the tag) and foobar recognises the sheet in the file-tag, so i can play the seperate tracks without having the whole file in the list?
member of the "i have a cat-avatar"-group ;)

Reply #1
the thing with losslessfile + cue is nice but when i add the folder where i put all my albums in (music\<artist>\<year> - <album>) foobar i'll get the whole lossless file in the list plus the seperate tracks from the cuesheet.

as a workaround you can exclude the lossless or cue-files files from database-scanning

one question is, if i extract the same way as i do now with musepack, just trackwise, but lossless, can i reconstruct the cd like it was? i mean things like pregap, pause between the tracks and so on.

just rip the seperate tracks with cue-sheet...and keep it
should work

is there a way to rip with cuesheet (embedding it in the tag) and foobar recognises the sheet in the file-tag, so i can play the seperate tracks without having the whole file in the list?

i add the cue-sheet as a "CUESHEET" tag.
i think this is currently only possible with APE and WavPack.
Flac's cue-sheet Support does not keep the original file

greets

Reply #2
ok, i've read a bit through the threads and heres what i found out:

wavpack with embedded cuesheet works perfectly with foobar. i just copied the cuesheet in the "cuesheet"-tag and did the same with the logfile => "logfile"-tag.

after copying the files in the tags, i delete them. i only want one file/album.
if you add a file in foobar, it splits it up in the seperate tracks and saves the RG-info and changed tags in the cuesheet-tag.

i want to thank Synthetic Soul for his batchfiles he posted here, they are great work!
i modified them a bit to fit my purposes

Reply #3
under some curcumstances (tag-updating on large filelists)
i lost some of my tags...the other problem is that
you can't play this files in other players without the external cue-sheet
so for the warm-fuzzy-feeling i keep a backup

Reply #4
after copying the files in the tags, i delete them. i only want one file/album.
i want to thank Synthetic Soul for his batchfiles he posted here, they are great work!
i modified them a bit to fit my purposes

Glad to be of help.

I don't know if you've seen, but following another post from VCSkier I have suggested some ways to lose the cuesheet and log files in the same thread here.  That said, if you say you've modified them, I assume you've already done something similar.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #5
if i open the file with an other tag-editor than foobar they get manipulated, at least mp3tag does it.

maybe you can help me setting up foobar so it doesn't read .cue files?

edit:
@synthetic soul: i've edited them in the way they only rename the file to <year> - <album> and delete the .cue and .log file (not *.log or so, that would be suicide )

Reply #6
@Tos_Maverick

my first post 

Reply #7
@Tos_Maverick

my first post 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=290696"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i don't exactly know how the foobar database works, i don't have "database enabled" ticked, maybe you could explain the DB a bit.
there is the textbox "restrict file types", but as i'm not sure about the DB i'm a bit unsure to enable it

Reply #8
i've edited them in the way they only rename the file to <year> - <album> and delete the .cue and .log file (not *.log or so, that would be suicide )

Yeah, I did that so that it would be easier for VCSkier to edit - but it's not foolproof.

That said, it's not suicide if you are using a specific directory with the scripts, as both VCSkier and I am doing - there should only be one .log file in that folder, so *.log is no big deal. The eac-wvp.bat moves all files in the folder to the <artist>\<album> folder - so you really need to work from a dedicated folder (or adapt the script so that it is more picky).  It's more flexible/easier to work in a dedicated folder and move everything though, IMHO.

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']Edit: spelling[/span]
I'm on a horse.

Reply #9
i don't exactly know how the foobar database works, i don't have "database enabled"

i also don't know 'how' it works... 
but i have to use it for the album-list-panel

maybe you could explain the DB a bit.
there is the textbox "restrict file types",

just add the files you want to permanently be added to this cheeckbox
for example "*.MP3;*.OGG;*.APE"

Reply #10
i don't exactly know how the foobar database works, i don't have "database enabled" ticked, maybe you could explain the DB a bit.
there is the textbox "restrict file types", but as i'm not sure about the DB i'm a bit unsure to enable it

You want to use "Restrict incoming files to" under the "Core" section in Preferences.

That said, unfortunately Foobar doesn't have an "Ignore these file types" box.  If you use "Restrict incoming files to" you will have to list all the file extensions that you do want to use (which means you may be updating this at times) - rather than being able to specify a list to ignore, which may be shorter.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #11

You want to use "Restrict incoming files to" under the "Core" section in Preferences.

That said, unfortunately Foobar doesn't have an "Ignore these file types" box.  If you use "Restrict incoming files to" you will have to list all the file extensions that you do want to use (which means you may be updating this at times) - rather than being able to specify a list to ignore, which may be shorter.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=290704"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

oooh THAT'S what i was looking for...
foobar is a great player, but the settings are a mess

with this feature i can keep my log and cue files! seems i have to edit the batch-files once more