Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Playing lossless in iTunes and Zune software (Read 5970 times) previous topic - next topic

Playing lossless in iTunes and Zune software

This might be a stupid question, but is there even a lossless audio format that can be played in both iTunes and Zune?

I like to use both of these media players, depending on which computer I'm on, and would prefer not to have two copies of each song in a different codec.

Thanks!

Reply #1
you can use .WAV
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #2
WAV.

Really, that's it - Microsoft and Apple each use their own proprietary lossless formats (WMAL and ALAC), and needless to say, they don't really play well with each other.

FLAC can be played back in DirectShow players in Windows with the appropriate filters installed (fetch, Google, fetch!)...I'm *assuming* that the Zune software utilizes DirectShow - I've never used it, so I don't know.

iTunes uses its own internal (QuickTime) codecs, and not DirectShow, so it can't play FLAC.

...which brings us back to WAV - look ma, no tags!

My suggestion:  ditch the Zune software and go ALAC/iTunes.  Microsoft killed the hardware - how much longer do you think they're going to be supporting the software?
"Not sure what the question is, but the answer is probably no."