Skip to main content
Topic: Streaming Audio PC to Laptop (Read 4563 times) previous topic - next topic

Streaming Audio PC to Laptop

I have a tower PC with Winxp on it and a Laptop also with winxp on it.

What I want to do is be able to stream my entire library to the laptop.

I was wondering what the best programs are to do this with and I would LOVE to have someone give me instruction or point me to a site that has instructions that work, not just some site you googled up after your read this topic.

I do not use iTunes
I do use Foobar2000
I sometimes use VLC

I have tried using VLC to stream music with no luck, and yes I have looked at the instructions page on their site but it did not work.

I have vlc 1.0.0 RC4

I would be streaming on a local network at my house.

Thank you for your help, all comments are appreciated.

Reply #1
It is pretty damn easy to stream from VLC, but without more information I have no idea where you are going wrong.

My suggestion would probably be to use Icecast to serve, with foobar and the foo_vorbisstreamer component.  Setting up an Icecast server may sound daunting, but it is very simple.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #2
Do you really mean "streaming", or you are thinking more like a File Server?

Concretely, do you want a single, continuous stream, or do you want the ability to listen to your library on the laptop?

For streaming, the solution that synthetic soul gave you is a good one (there are other similar ones).

For the second, if it is in your local network (home), simply sharing the folder and adding a Drive mapping to it would be the simplest way.

Reply #3
[quote author=[JAZ] link=msg=644811 date=1246638583]
For the second, if it is in your local network (home), simply sharing the folder and adding a Drive mapping to it would be the simplest way.[/quote]

Ok, I do not know why I did not think of this in the first place, so I will try this.  However I do not know what drive mapping is.  I'll look it up.

Thanks

Reply #5
[quote author=[JAZ] link=msg=644811 date=1246638583]For the second, if it is in your local network (home), simply sharing the folder and adding a Drive mapping to it would be the simplest way.[/quote]

Now I remember why I had not tried this before, it is because I want to be able to play the music on both computer simultaneously.

[quote author=Synthetic Soul link=msg=0 date=]It is pretty damn easy to stream from VLC, but without more information I have no idea where you are going wrong.[/quote]

I have looked at several tutorials on how to set one up, however they were all for older versions of VLC, however I still tried to set it up for some reason it did not work for me.  It is difficult to give specifics on what went wrong because I have no idea. 

So, would you mind giving me a some instructions or pointing me to a site that has instructions for VLC 1.0.0 RC4

Thank you

Reply #6
I have a tower PC with Winxp on it and a Laptop also with winxp on it.

snackamp might be worth a try, it has a built in streaming (web) server
http://snackamp.sourceforge.net/
try the test release, the stable version is old (but functional)
http://snackamp.sourceforge.net/releases

I noticed that the developer just started coding again...

Reply #7
Now I remember why I had not tried this before, it is because I want to be able to play the music on both computer simultaneously.

Would you worry about having a delay (10 to 20 seconds between the computers), or it is not a concern?

If you look for "having more speakers", your only option is actual wiring.

Else, if the delay is acceptable, the icecast/shoutcast solution is an appropiate one.

PS: About streaming with VLC: 

On the Desktop do:
Media -> Streaming.  Select a playlist. Stream.

There select:

Play locally
HTTP.

And in profile. Custom and select RAW (in the other tabs, deselect everything)

Stream.

On the laptop, use foobar, winamp or whatever else you want, and add URL  http://your_desktop_ip:the_selected_port/  (change text by the corresponding values)

This works for MP3 files. I tried Flacs and encoding them (using one of the profiles), but it didn't work. Even simply encoding to mp3 took this laptop to its knees (while it can encode with lame quite fast). It could be a problem of the compile version of VLC that i have, who knows...

Reply #8
[quote author=[JAZ] link=msg=644959 date=1246714726]PS: About streaming with VLC: 

On the Desktop do:
Media -> Streaming.  Select a playlist. Stream.

There select:

Play locally
HTTP.

And in profile. Custom and select RAW (in the other tabs, deselect everything)

Stream.

On the laptop, use foobar, winamp or whatever else you want, and add URL  http://your_desktop_ip:the_selected_port/  (change text by the corresponding values)[/quote]

A couple of questions about streaming with VLC:

* When you select HTTP, what IP address do you enter
* When you select raw do you select active transcoding
* How do you open HTTP streams in foobar2000

Reply #9
The box is for when a computer has more than one IP. You don't have to put anything there. If you want, write: localhost

RAW means it sends the file as-is. It's not streaming in radio sense, but in HTTP sense (like when you download a file).

foobar2000:  File -> Add location.

Reply #10
[quote author=[JAZ] link=msg=645011 date=1246751354]RAW means it sends the file as-is. It's not streaming in radio sense, but in HTTP sense (like when you download a file).[/quote]

What my original question meant was:

Just above profile there is a little checkbox that has the words active transcoding next to it, so with the setup you provided me do I put a check in the checkbox?

Reply #11
[quote author=[JAZ] link=msg=645011 date=1246751354]RAW means it sends the file as-is. It's not streaming in radio sense, but in HTTP sense (like when you download a file).

What my original question meant was:

Just above profile there is a little checkbox that has the words active transcoding next to it, so with the setup you provided me do I put a check in the checkbox?
[/quote]
Ok nevermind about the last post, I have another question:

How do you stream a playlist?  I have tried streaming a .m3u file but i did not work (the other computers did not pick up the stream), I can only stream one file and have it actually stream.

Reply #12
I see what you mean with playlist files; I couldn't get VLC to stream an M3U playlist at all.  When testing with an XSPF it streamed the last track only. Very strange.

May I suggest Icecast (again)?

Edit: NB: I did a quick search on Google and found a few references to this.  It seems that it can be done using VLC's web interface, but I know nothing about it.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #13
I see what you mean with playlist files; I couldn't get VLC to stream an M3U playlist at all.  When testing with an XSPF it streamed the last track only. Very strange.

May I suggest Icecast (again)?

Edit: NB: I did a quick search on Google and found a few references to this.  It seems that it can be done using VLC's web interface, but I know nothing about it.

Ok I will try Icecast.  I just was hoping that I could get it setup with programs that I was already familiar with and had already installed on my computer.  But I think I will give it a go.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2018