Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ABXing a DSD file against a FLAC (Read 3549 times) previous topic - next topic

ABXing a DSD file against a FLAC

Using Foobar2000, I am able to convert a DSD file to a FLAC.  But FLAC is PCM and DSD is PDM.  When you convert to from DSD to FLAC, is there anything that will "give awa: which file is which?

I assume the when I play the DSD file in foobar2000, it just gets converted to PCM anyway, since most PC hardware can't play PDM audio natively.

Which leads to the question, does I need to use a DAC that can decode DSD in order to do a proper ABX test?

Reply #1
There must be several USB DACs with native dsd support over foo_asio but for an abx i doubt the PCM to dsd switching is mature enough. In the foobar subforum they may help you better,

Edit: there is also a SoX version around you can convert PCM to dsd before testing. https://github.com/mansr/sox
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #2
There must be several USB DACs with native dsd support over foo_asio but for an abx i doubt the PCM to dsd switching is mature enough. In the foobar subforum they may help you better,

Edit: there is also a SoX version around you can convert PCM to dsd before testing. https://github.com/mansr/sox

It's good to know that SOX can make a DSD out of PCM file.

My real quesiton is, how essential is it to have a DAC with native DSD decoding in order to get valid results?  If whatever plugin for foobar2000 that I use just takes the DSD and converts it to PCM, am I conducting a valid test?

Reply #3
You will get different views about the validity. Imho 1bit PCM to 24bit PCM conversion is absolutely transparent.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!