Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: decompressing wv wvc (Read 5722 times) previous topic - next topic

decompressing wv wvc

I have a wv and it's wvc file, but I'm having trouble decompressing it. Each time I do it, the sound seems lossy. I've tried deleting the wvc file to see if it decompressing lossless, and the deletion doesn't affect the sound quality at all so I know what I'm getting is just lossy audio converted to a lossless format. How do I decompress properly to lossless? Thanks.

decompressing wv wvc

Reply #1
The default decompression is lossless unless you override this. What do you mean the sound is lossy ?

On the commandline, wvunpack tells you the decompression status (lossy or lossless)

decompressing wv wvc

Reply #2
…the sound seems lossy.…the deletion doesn't affect the sound quality at all so I know what I'm getting is just lossy audio converted to a lossless format.
Wow, so much mince in one post.
Have you actually done anything to verify your wishy-washy “seems” and “sound quality” claims—e.g. bit comparison against the original file or, if that's not a possibility, another method such as auCDtect or spectral analysis?

decompressing wv wvc

Reply #3
Sorry for the redundant post. I'm using the frontend. I have both the wvc and wv files in the same folder and I unpack them. The command line states it's lossless and then gives a percentage. Is this format really lossless or just another enhanced mp3 format?

decompressing wv wvc

Reply #4
If the command-line is reporting lossless, then that's what you are getting. You can also add the -m option and compare the reported md5 sums with and without the wvc file present (they should be different even if the results sound the same).

Of course, if someone took a lossy source and made lossless wv+wvc files from it, then obviously that would still be lossy (just like if they did it with FLAC or Monkey's Audio).