Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Napster files (Read 3399 times) previous topic - next topic

Napster files

I wonder if anyone knows if WMA files downloaded from Napster (and possibly, iTunes) are lossless or the regular lossy format. Is there a way of telling?

Napster files

Reply #1
Have you checked their properties in a media player (or Explorer, if it displays such information)? That should show you the bitrate, which would be about 900-1100 kbps for a lossless file, and it may even say Windows Media Audio Lossless. Anyway, iTunes does not sell files in the WMA format, what with the latter being proprietary as well as the two technologies being in (and belonging to companies that are in) fairly direct competition.

Napster files

Reply #2
Have you checked their properties in a media player (or Explorer, if it displays such information)? That should show you the bitrate, which would be about 900-1100 kbps for a lossless file, and it may even say Windows Media Audio Lossless. Anyway, iTunes does not sell files in the WMA format, what with the latter being proprietary as well as the two technologies being in (and belonging to companies that are in) fairly direct competition.

Thanks for the tip. Shall do. It never occurred to me. Yeah, I have not bought anything from iTunes, yet, but do recall they use the AAC extension. Anyway, I was interested only in Napster.