Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WMP Tag Plus - MPEG4, Vorbis and FLAC metadata support for WMP (Read 524562 times) previous topic - next topic

WMP Tag Plus - MPEG4, Vorbis and FLAC metadata support for WMP

Reply #625
It later occurred to me that you're probably experiencing the dreaded album art memory leak that's present in WMP 12: each time WMP reads the embedded album art from a music file, it leaks the memory that it allocated for that album art. I also checked the file you uploaded and sure enough, it contained rather large (1 MB) album art. If this is the case for a lot of your music files then WMP will eventually occupy all available memory, causing it to crash in various ways.

Note that this memory leak is not related to WMP Tag Plus and also occurs for formats like MP3.

However, I've been able to come up with a workaround that's included in WMP Tag Plus since version 2.2. This workaround is still disabled by default, but if you want I can send you the .reg file to enable it. There's more info about the memory leak and the workaround in this forum post at Microsoft Answers.

Hi Tim

Please send me the workaround.

Thanks for your assistance.

Craig

Reply #626
I'm running Windows 10, getting the same old "Missing core components" error.

Really annoying me, Windows 10 is set for release later this year, and has a consumer preview available -- This means the OS is unlikely to face any kind of core changes from now on!

Please add support for Windows 10!

Reply #627
Well, I still need to officially release version 2.5, which is currently still in beta. The final 2.5 release won't have Windows 10 support either. (Sorry!)

After that, I'll look into adding Windows 10 support to my plug-ins. Seeing as you're not the first person asking for this, there are quite some people using the consumer preview for everyday use, which is kinda disturbing.

Reply #628
Well, I still need to officially release version 2.5, which is currently still in beta. The final 2.5 release won't have Windows 10 support either. (Sorry!)

After that, I'll look into adding Windows 10 support to my plug-ins. Seeing as you're not the first person asking for this, there are quite some people using the consumer preview for everyday use, which is kinda disturbing.

Thanks!

I think it's because when pitched against Windows 8 / 8.1, Windows 10 does a much better job as a workstation operating system, instead of forcing users to use a tablet interface on their non-touchscreen computers, as well as just plain running faster on some machines thanks to some memory fixes!

Reply #629
WMP Tag Plus 2.5 beta is causing the CPU usage going to nearly 100% every time I start WMP.
Not complaining, as it's a beta. Just trying to help fixing bugs.
Using Win 8.1 64 / WMP 12 with all updates to today. It seems I can' t include a screenshot of the task manager here but if required I can provide more information.

thank you for your efforts, looking forward to the final version!
Axel

Reply #630
How long does it take for the CPU usage to go back to normal? Can you use WMP during that time, or is it unresponsive? Do you see any progress dialog (or other indication of what WMP is doing)?

How many audio/video files does your library contain?

Reply #631
sorry for the delayed answer. Thought the forum would automatically notify me when there are answers.

Well, I am confused now. I did some further tests now and WMP is getting the cpu usage to 100% even after I uninstalled WMP Tag Plus

I'm quite sure, WMP shows this behaviour only after having installed WMP Tag Plus once , but I can't be sure.

Here my answers anyway:

> How long does it take for the CPU usage to go back to normal?

It seems it does not go back to normal ever. Tested it for about 30 min

> Can you use WMP during that time, or is it unresponsive?

I can use WMP during that time, indeed.

> Do you see any progress dialog (or other indication of what WMP is doing)?

no, it just keeps on playing music

> How many audio/video files does your library contain?

about 5.200 audio files, 45 videos.

thanks,
Axel

Reply #632
Are you sure that it's the wmplayer.exe process that's using the CPU?

Does the CPU usage persist if you stop music playback? What's the file type of the music files being played?

If it's the wmplayer.exe process, right-click it in Task Manager and select Create Dump File. You can then upload the generated dump file to something like Dropbox/Onedrive, and send me the download link by PM. I'll take a look.

Reply #633
> Are you sure that it's the wmplayer.exe process that's using the CPU?

It has never been the wmplayer, but some service host process. Of that I put a dump here
https://cloud.1und1.de/ngcloud/external?pat...inName=42130315
plus a screenshot of the task manager.

> Does the CPU usage persist if you stop music playback?What's the file type of the music files being played?

After Starting WMP the cpu usage goes up even without starting any song ...

Axel

Reply #634
In the dump file I see that the high CPU usage is probably caused by the UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) Device Host service. This could be related to the media library sharing functionality in WMP, and I don't think that this is directly caused by WMP Tag Plus.

You could try stopping the service or disabling media library sharing in WMP. Resetting your media library might also help.

Reply #635
Hi, I was trying to rebuild my WMP library, which I noticed was getting buggy. I didn't think this would be a problem, but WMP is not adding any of my FLACs to the library, only the MP3s. (I have over 35,000 files in my library, and MP3s are only 947 of them.)

I have been using WMP tag Plus for a couple of years with no issues, save for the one I had initially, (you can check my history on that), and I tried refreshing the song tags, which takes several hours. The result is a list of files, which I exported to an Excel spreadsheet of over 3100 lines, delineating some 1500 FLAC files with an error message: "Not enough storage is available to complete this operation. 8007000E." I also think that this file is not complete, as the file names here are only going up to "Stony." We are missing the end of the alphabet.

Now, some 9415 other FLAC files are showing up in the library, but as a giant Unknown Album. Only my MP#s are being cataloged. Can you help?

BTW, WMP still plays the FLACs, just doesn't add them to the library.

Reply #636
That code is E_OUTOFMEMORY.  Are you on a 32 bit machine?

Reply #637
I would think so. Windows 8.1.

Just as a little further info, I noticed a few days ago that WMP wasn't automatically adding folders of new FLACS, or updates those FLACS when I changed information in the library, such as adding composer names, or altering song titles, etc. This is why I thought I'd rebuild the library, which up until this point, had been pretty much a hassle free task, thanks to WMP Tag Plus.

Reply #638
Perhaps I should say, it should be 64-bit, shouldn't it?

Reply #639
One more time: Looking at the Task Manager here, it does says that WMP is 32 bit.

Reply #640
Which version of WMP Tag Plus do you have installed?

Is WMP Tag Plus still listed and checked in WMP's Tools - Plug-ins menu? (press Ctrl+M if you don't see the Tools menu)

Did you install any Windows updates just before the issue started occurring? Or perhaps Windows installed some updates automatically?

To be honest, 35 000 songs is a bit out of the limits of what Refresh song tags has been tested with (which probably explains the out of memory error), so I suggest that you restrict yourself to just resetting the library, which should provide similar results.

Reply #641
> In the dump file I see that the high CPU usage is probably caused by the UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) Device Host service. This > could be related to the media library sharing functionality in WMP, and I don't think that this is directly caused by WMP Tag Plus.

> You could try stopping the service or disabling media library sharing in WMP. Resetting your media library might also help.

Right you are! Deactivating media library sharing in WMP is the solution.
There seems to be some problem on my system conderning media library sharing which has nothing to do with WMP Tag Plus. It makes no difference whether WMP Tag Plus is activated or even installed.

thanks,
Axel

Reply #642
WMP Tag is 2.2, and it is still listed as active in the plugins menu. There were quite possibly some Windows updates around the time of the issue, which could always have caused problems.

What do you mean by resetting the library? Just adding by hand? This is what I had been doing, but I was trying to get back those lovely features I was enjoying before. I do have a copy of the library from January that I have reinserted, so most of my library is still there. I just have to re-add the bits that are newer. Should have made a copy before I tried to rebuild. Oops.

35,000 too many!? But I'm just getting started!

Do you think that removing and reinstalling WMP Tag Plus would do any good?

Reply #643
Yes; removing and reinstalling WMP Tag Plus is always worth a try.

For resetting WMP's media library: see the instructions in my answer in this forum thread at Microsoft Answers.

Just to be clear, 35 000 songs might be too many, but only for Refresh song tags. The main WMP Tag Plus functionality should be able to handle that many songs fine.

Reply #644
Hi Tobubuta,

since today I've got the same problem. This morning I had to rebuild my windows media player library. But now WMP Tag Plus does not read the tags of my flac files anymore. With mp3 files I don't have any problems.

I've already deleted my windows media player library and rebuild it. I've uninstalled the plugin, rebooted my computer, reinstalled the plugin. But it didn't help. I've directed windows media player just to watch one folder containing five flac files. It read those five files, but without tags. It says, the album and everything is unknown. Windows media player just displayes the title as written in the files name. But other media players like foobar don't have this problem. They read all the tags.

I am using Windows 8.1 Pro, 64-bit, windows media player Version 12.0.9600.17415 and WMP Tag Plus 2.2. Windows is always downloading the current windows updates automatically. It also downloaded updates after the problem appeared, although this didn't solve my problems.

Who can help?

Reply #645
It's astonishing.

Right after I've posted my problem, I restarted windows media player, deleted the five files folder from the library and added my usual flac folder again. And immediatly windows media player started to read the files with all the tags. My problem is solved, still I don't know why and how.

Reply #646
Now I see: The problem is not solved. Before I wrote my last post, I made a mistake. I added also the folder with my aac files, and the windows media player read those files, but I didn't realize it. Sorry. The fact is: The WMP Tag Plus does not read the flac tags.

Reply #647
I suggest that you try installing the 2.5 beta of WMP Tag Plus, as it contains some compatibility fixes for Windows 8.1. Does that help?

Reply #648
Dear Tim,

I have tested WMP Tag Plus 2.5 beta in order to see if FLAC issues are fixed and unfortunately it seems not.
Indeed, with WMP 12.0.9600.17031 based on Windows 8.1 Pro (x64), I am still unable to display FLAC tags properly.
Does another Microsoft update could broke the compatibilities fixes you've done?

Thanks in advance.

Reply #649
Thanks for trying the beta and reporting here. I'll take a look during the weekend if a new Windows Update could be the cause for the issues seen. Will report back here once I know more.